Changes to BT 1280

Options

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    topherxp wrote: »
    ..... best bet is to keep an eye out for a change in your bill format as all the prices will be VAT inclusive.
    I route my weekend UK 01, 02 and 03 calls with the 1280 prefix to 'qualify' for free Caller Display and, by leaving Charge Advice switched on at all times, I get an automatic callback to confirm those go via BT.

Although Primus have said they won't change without notifying me, a missing callback would warn me.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    I route my weekend UK 01, 02 and 03 calls with the 1280 prefix to 'qualify' for free Caller Display and, by leaving Charge Advice switched on at all times, I get an automatic callback to confirm those go via BT.

Although Primus have said they won't change without notifying me, a missing callback would warn me.

Though haven't some customers found that calls that aren't going via BT are still getting charge advice, due to the routing of the call?
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »

That is what I do but it upsets the other half every weekend.

I am also keeping an eye on my account ref number, I don't know if it does change and only time will tell.
  • Heinz
    Options
    BexTech wrote: »
    Though haven't some customers found that calls that aren't going via BT are still getting charge advice, due to the routing of the call?
    I'd not heard that - how would that work anyway if the CPS calls provider has 'taken' the call (by ignoring the 1280 prefix)?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PaulA wrote: »
    Thanks but what is "WSC"?

So far in this thread we've had WAC, WCA, WLR and now WSC :eek:

Well I'm fairly sure the W means wholesale - not sure about the rest.
  • charlie12
    charlie12 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I made a couple of calls yesterday using 1280 and they are showing up today on the BT online recent calls list. I'm on Sky Talk Freetime CPS and signed up to Primus Saver Option 2 on Tuesday (will take 15 days to transfer over so I'm still currently on Sky Talk).

I'm relieved that I was able to make the 2 BT calls this month to keep the free caller display. I guess Sky haven't blocked 1280 for everyone yet.
  • Chris2000
    Chris2000 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An update to my earlier posts, I've now received my TalkTalk bill for the month and it includes all the calls that I made using 1280.

TalkTalk have definitely moved me onto the new system.
  • alan99_2
    alan99_2 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    newbuilder wrote: »
    well today I phoned Primus and moved my CPS to them from Sky.

they reassured me that 1280 will still work although said that their calls were as cheap as BT (in fact cheaper due to call copnenction charges being lower- especially in NGN). Heinz can you look into this as I can't find anything on the primus site about NGN rates.

At the end of the day all I lose is the free call to Sky Customer services. :eek: Lets hop it doens't come to needing that too often :rolleyes:

re Primus NGN charges. Saver Option 2 .

The good thing about Primus as you know they charge no connection fee.Instead they charge a 5p min charge. I asked them several months back what their NGN rates were , they said same as BT.
    Not the case with 0845/0870 . 0844 and 0871 same per min as BT.
    With 0845 and 0870 they are a bit more pricey per min in the evenings than BT. I have never tried these during the day, I am a money saver !
    The below will give an indication of call prices . VAT to be added.

g22 - Calls not including 0844200xxxx 00:13:01 min/secs Peak £0.06

BT Local Rate Call 0845xxxxxxx 00:07:01 min/secs Off-Peak £0.07

BT National Rate Call 0870xxxxxx 00:09:01 min/secs Off-Peak £0.29

BT charges are Evening 0.5p ppm 0845 . 1.5 ppm evening 0870.
    0844200 0.5 ppm all day. All plus connection fee

HTH

Alan
  • wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Chris2000 wrote: »
    An update to my earlier posts, I've now received my TalkTalk bill for the month and it includes all the calls that I made using 1280.

TalkTalk have definitely moved me onto the new system.

Just to clarify Chris, are you with BT line rental and have Talktalk CPS on the free weekend plan (old talk1) and do not have any broadband with Talktalk?

If so then I have the same set up so will be really anoyed if they have changed over.
  • Heinz
    Options
    Just a thought on this. If you have left your line rental with BT, your contract is with BT to route your calls as you, the customer, wants.

You, the customer, has authorised BT to program its exchange to route your outgoing calls via your chosen CPS calls provider (e.g. Sky or Talk Talk) except when you, the customer, decide that is inappropriate and use a prefix to make that known.

How can the CPS calls provider decide whether or not to ignore the prefix you have dialled?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure