Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl
    Whisk milk, oil and salt
    Pour into flour -stirring to mix
    Once mixed -turned out onto a lightly floured worktop and knead for 2 mins
    Cover and leave for 15 mins -it won’t rise but needs to relax
    Cut into 8 balls (approx 50g each)
    Cover and leave to relax for 10 mins
    Roll each one out into a round -approx 8”
    Heat a heavy frying pan (preferably cast iron)
    Drop in one tortilla and turn after about 2 mins -the surface should bubble -press down with a teatowel (watch you don't steam your fingers )
    Place inside a dry tea towel to keep warm whilst you cook the rest

You can freeze the balls of dough too... when they are defrosted they will be a bit stickier so you will need more flour when rolling out-but they roll out bigger after freezing too :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • ...... and there's this thread on pizza bases ;) I make mine with SR flour, no yeast, roll onto polenta and brush the edges with olive oil (both of which make a crispy crust).

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • lvu
    lvu Posts: 52 Forumite
    I really like making home made pizzas not only do they work out ridiculously cheap but they taste amazing however the nights I'm craving pizza are usually not the nights I want to spend ages makig gthe dough and getting it to rise.

So here is what I was thinking, next time I make pizza I'll make extra dough, let it do all the rising stuff, then role them out into bases and then freeze them so that another day I can defrost them add the tomato sauce and topping.

But I'm not sure the best way to do this.
    should I freeze them after rolling them out into bases? should I cook the bases first and then freeze?
    should I not bother rolling out into bases but instead freeze them in balls to roll out when defrosted?

And then whats the best way to defrost them?
    take them out on the morning of the day I want to use them? will they still cook the same? If I freeze them in balls will they roll out the same and will they taste the same.

Obviously someone, somewhere knows the answer to these questions as frozen pizza exists.

PS: I don't have a bread maker and wont be getting one for quite a while.
    01/08/09 - Honeymoon credit card - 0% £2500 - personal OD £350 - DFD May2010
    Done it once, will do it again - DFW 534
  • Hi there! I roll my dough into balls to freeze. I then defrost them overnight in the fridge (thought they defrost quickly in the kitchen ;) ).

I think there may be an existing thread on this, so I'll add your question to it later :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • lvu
    lvu Posts: 52 Forumite
    Thank you, I will be eating hm pizza a lot more now.
    01/08/09 - Honeymoon credit card - 0% £2500 - personal OD £350 - DFD May2010
    Done it once, will do it again - DFW 534
  • Does anyone have a recipe for pizza dough without using a breadmaker please?

Also can I freeze uncooked pizza dough?
    May Grocery Challenge £254.16/£320
  • I make pizza dough regularly using a basic bread recipe except that I use olive oil instead of butter.
    1lb bread flour
    1.5 teaspn salt
    2 teaspn sugar
    2 tablespn oil
    1/2 pint water
    1 oz fresh or 1/2 dry yeast

(Tescos will give you fresh yeast free.)
    I use the dough setting on a breadmaker as I'm rubbish at kneading. But you could just mix it all to a dough and knead it by hand.
    Leave to rise, once only, in a warm place. It's very hard work to roll out, not like pastry as it springs back as you roll. Maybe smoeone on here will have some tips on that.

I've never frozen it as this makes 4 large pizzas which my family will eat. I believe you can freeze it at this stage. I read somewhere that you can roll it out and freeze it ready rolled.
  • I freeze mine in little balls since it takes up less freezer space and is less awkward to manage in the freezer. Can be defrosted in the micro if desperate (although it is a bit awkwarder to roll out usually).

There are loads of pizza threads on the mega index
  • My recipe is

1½ lbs strong white bread flour
    1 tsp easy-blend yeast
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp olive oil
    dried oregano (optional)
    15 fl oz hand-hot water

Mix dry ingredients together, add oil and water. Knead for about 4 mins.
    Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise for 1½ hours.
    knock back and roll out -top and bake for 25 mins or so.

Makes enough for 5 plus leftovers.

You can freeze before baking or you can roll and part-bake for 5 mins, cool and freeze, then top and bake from frozen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure