🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

DFW Bank Charges Reclaim Thread

Options
Thought I would create a place where we can all keep a record of our progress and offer support advice to those who are currently claiming or who want to start a claim! :D

Everyone is welcome to post. Would be good to see how people are getting on! :)

Have a read of this thread by Martin and you can find the Consumer Action Group website here!

Good luck everyone! ;)

Comments

• southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will be sending my DPA letter off to Natwest tomorrow! :D

Only have a years worth of statements that show charges but I'm sure there are more! :rolleyes: :rotfl:
  • gibboking
    gibboking Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I am posting my DPA letter to Abbey tomorrow to get statements going back for the last 6 years (if I could go back more who knows how many ££s worth of charges there are)
    I will also be sending Letters to Abbey Credit Card and Co-operative credit card. But I will deal with abbey first as that account is closed and will have the most charges.
    Good luck guys

Vicky
    Look atfer the Pennies and the ££££'s will care for themselves :money:
  • scottishspendaholic
    Options
    Hi SS,

Good idea!

I sent my prelim letter to RBS for £940 on Thursday 23 March - I am sending my letter before action this week giving them 14 days before I submit my court claim. I'm v. scared though in case I have to go to court.

The most annoying thing is that, due to Scottish law, I can only claim up to £750 in small claims (unless I want to do Summary Clause and that means I may have to pay the banks' expenses if I lose!) and only for past 5 years. Oh well, its better than a kick in the teeth!

Good luck everyone - keen to know how you are all getting on!

scottishspendaholic x
    MBNA = £4,000 / Next = £925 (approx. tbc on 19/8)
    Tesco = £2,910.11 / Smile overdraft = £500
    Bank of Scotland = £2,782.83
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, I have been truly motivated to get off my bum and work it all out!!

Sat down with OH and went through all our bank and credit card statements going back over the last 3 to 4 years as those are the only ones we kept (doh!). So far the running total is £915!! I chucked my Barclaycard statements when I paid off and closed the card, but will be writing to them to get the info asap (as well as the others that we didn't keep).

It will certainly make a dent in our debts! You lot just need to keep kicking me up the backside if I start to get lazy at sorting it all out.

Good luck everyone with your own cases!
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck to everyone :D
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    I sent my RBS branch one letter with one deadline of 14 days for full repayment of £2,011, they gave me a standardised response saying they would look in to it and get back to me. A few days before the deadline I sent another letter re-emphasising they had until Wednesday to pay me in full or I would be taking legal action. I copied the style of a letter a debt collector sent me so it had lots of red and looked quite official :D They never replied or paid me before the deadline.

Then I filed my small claims at the County Court using the moneyclaim.gov.uk site. I claimed £2,011 + interest (some extra £600 or so) plus my court fee of £120 (the court fee rises the higher your claim).

The next day my claim was accepted and was sent out that day to the bank. 5 days after a claim is sent it's classed as officially served to the defendant if not returned by the postal system. The item wasn't returned so is now officially in the hands of the bank and they have 14 days to reply to the court.

A few days after this they sent me another standardised letter saying they were still looking in to my letter and would reply soon. This letter contained a leaflet detailing commitment to their customers :-|

They have yet to reply to the Court and have about 10 days left. If they don't reply I will put in for a Default Judgement and request a Warrant of Execution to allow bailiffs in to the branch to collect my debt. I sincerely hope this happens as I'd get some great pictures for my photo album this year :D

Here is the claim form I submitted to the court:
    claim_form.jpg
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Who is everyones charges with? It would be interesting to find out how they all react. I know there is a forum about it on the other site, but would be good to have one here as well.

Ours are:-
    Barclays Graduate Account - £195
    Capital One - £436
    Monument - £140
    Barclaycard - £24
    RBS - £120

Will post with updates on how each company handle themselves.
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry asmos! I'm a bit lost to what stage your at! :rotfl:

Have the courts awarded in your favour or are RSB just being taken to court? :confused:
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry asmos! I'm a bit lost to what stage your at! :rotfl:
    Have the courts awarded in your favour or are RSB just being taken to court? :confused:

lol sorry I just listed the stages/process I went through. At the moment the claim is with the court, RBS have it and have about 10 days to reply to it. If they don't = bailiffs in branch :D

So far they haven't demonstrated much ability to reply to anything :-\
  • miss_angie1
    miss_angie1 Posts: 457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh I'm glad this thread has started here - thanks southernscouser!!
    miss_angie v LloydsTSB
    10.03.06 Sent DPA letter and received statements about 3 days later
    20.03.06 Sent preliminary request for repayment of charges £345
    23.03.06 Received standard response saying they won't pay back charges, must keep account in line etc....
    03.04.06 Posted letter before action recorded delivery to Recovery Services department who sent me the standard letter and copied in my branch. Watch this space....
    I too am a bit nervous at the prospect of taking the bank to court but if it gets to that stage then I'm prepared to do it. £345 + interest will be a nice little chunk taken off my biggest credit card (With Lloyds TSB) and will bring my debt free date even closer.
    Any success stories on claiming successfully claiming back unfair charges will be much appreciated.
    My mantra is "Never pay full price!" ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family