Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• ian1964_2
    Options
    Firstly I want to say thank you for doing a seperate forum for the Thomas cook as its easier to read through!

My complaint about Tomas cook

7 of us went to Benidorm on 29th September 2012 for 1 week flying from Manchester terminal 1.
    Flight number TCX2312 was due at 6.45am.
    Checked in, got told there's an airport delay till 9.20am.
    Boarded the plane around 9.10am, took off and got so high to be told we need to land back at Manchester due to a technical fault, the pilot had the oxygen mask on saying he can smell oil/fuel through the oxygen mask. Had to have an emergency landing, got told engineers need to come and take a look, 30 mins later got told we have to get off the plane into the departure lounge where we would be given £8 meal vouchers each and there's another plane to take off at 1.40pm.

During this time they did not give me my baby's pushchair back and she was very tired so we had to carry her everywhere.

We finally took off again at 2.04pm (according to flight stats)
    We was 7 hours and 19 mins delayed.

When I got home on 6th October 2012, I decided to write to Thomas cook, as I just posted the letter off I realised that I was entitled to claim compensation.
    I did my research and found out that its 1670 km to Alicante from Manchester. We was over 3 hours delayed so we should be entitle to £320 (€400 each) there was 4 adults and 2 children and an infant in the party.

This is what I have done so far!

5 Oct - Got a letter when on the transfer coach to Alicante airport saying the reason why we had the delay they say 'due to an unforeseen operationally significant defect which required rectification prior to further flight'

10 Oct - Once home and unpacked I wrote my first letter to Thomas Cook.

5 Nov - Letter from Thomas Cook saying they are reviewing the case and we will get back to you shortly.

13 Nov - Letter from Thomas Cook giving me a letter of apology. So I wasn't happy with this.

27 Nov - I used the Template letter from the MSE to write back to the airline saying I will give them 14 days to reply or I will start court proceedings. I also photo copied all the paperwork they needed and sent with the letter.

30 Nov - A letter of acknowledgement receipt of further communication. Give us 28 days to reply.

5 Dec - Used the Template letter in MSE to email the CAA. Followed with all paperwork.

16 Dec - Email reply from CAA saying they have been in touch with Thomas Cook and they are saying 'extraordinary Circumstances' but we will write to them again for a second opinion. If they say the same then there is nothing we can do to help you. This could take months rather then weeks.

29 Dec - Emailed Thomas Cook as the 28 days was up.

6 Jan 13 - Email back from Thomas Cook Customer Relations Department, saying that they are still reviewing the case and contacting other company's and I should be hearing from them shortly

As of today 12/1/13 I am still waiting. I am not building my hopes up on this. If I am honest I would be happy with Holiday Vouchers as this is what I paid half of the holiday with because I have a disabled son so the vouchers came from 'Family Fund'
    This was a first time fly for me and my 3 children.
    Yes I would fly with Thomas Cook again.

If I hear anything else from either the CAA or Thomas Cook then I will update.
    has there been any update with this post ,as i have started court action regarding this flight. any help will be grateful
  • superowls
    superowls Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    VOB72 wrote: »
    Superowls - I just referred to the judges direction that I was applying to join other parties and stated the other parties names.

VOB72 thanks for this - where did you find the court costs associated with this, just want to confirm that £80 would be the correct amount for me to pay. I am adding 3 other claimants.
  • VOB72
    VOB72 Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    superowls wrote: »
    VOB72 thanks for this - where did you find the court costs associated with this, just want to confirm that £80 would be the correct amount for me to pay. I am adding 3 other claimants.

The judge stated it in the directions. I called the court to clarify if that was per person or for the 3 additions and I was told it was for the latter. All nonsense and unnecessary in my opinion but if the judge says, then it goes!
  • ceecee1
    ceecee1 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to report a success for a flight from Manchester to Dalaman on 26th August when there was an 11 hour delay.

I saw on here that someone had been successful so I emailed them and said that as they had already made a decision on my flight that I would be grateful for a response straight away.

Vouchers received (and refused) today. Just over 3 weeks so far.

Good Luck to everyone battling on.
  • MrPsych
    Options
    I am writing to you in connection with flight no TCX6107 which I was booked onto on 17th August 2013 which was scheduled to depart Fuerteventura at 12:40 and arrive at Newcastle at 17:00; the passengers in the party were...
    The plane developed a technical fault on it’s first final approach to Newcastle airport and the pilot elected to take the relatively rare decision to go around. At some point during the second final approach the pilot elected to again discontinue the landing and divert the flight via Manchester airport.
    Upon eventually landing at Manchester at 18:00 all of the passengers were forced to remain within the plane until after 20:00 when the pilot finally decided that the plane was not in a serviceable condition to fly us back to Newcastle.
    Upon eventually being allowed off the plane and following a further delay in having our baggage returned we were informed that there would be no information available regarding onward transportation until 22:00. We were however provided with a £5 food voucher each which did not cover the cost of any of the available meals in the airport; this was some 8 hours since we last ate.
    Finally an announcement was made that a bus had arrived to take 50 of the 270 passengers back to Newcastle, this was instantaneously followed by a stampede not unlike the Pamplona bull run. Eventually we were herded onto a bus for a 3½ hour road journey back to Newcastle, arriving at our destination airport at around 2am on the 18th August, 9 hours after we had flown over the very same place.
  • MrPsych
    Options
    MrPsych wrote: »
    I am writing to you in connection with flight no TCX6107 which I was booked onto on 17th August 2013 which was scheduled to depart Fuerteventura at 12:40 and arrive at Newcastle at 17:00; the passengers in the party were...
    The plane developed a technical fault on it’s first final approach to Newcastle airport and the pilot elected to take the relatively rare decision to go around. At some point during the second final approach the pilot elected to again discontinue the landing and divert the flight via Manchester airport.
    Upon eventually landing at Manchester at 18:00 all of the passengers were forced to remain within the plane until after 20:00 when the pilot finally decided that the plane was not in a serviceable condition to fly us back to Newcastle.
    Upon eventually being allowed off the plane and following a further delay in having our baggage returned we were informed that there would be no information available regarding onward transportation until 22:00. We were however provided with a £5 food voucher each which did not cover the cost of any of the available meals in the airport; this was some 8 hours since we last ate.
    Finally an announcement was made that a bus had arrived to take 50 of the 270 passengers back to Newcastle, this was instantaneously followed by a stampede not unlike the Pamplona bull run. Eventually we were herded onto a bus for a 3½ hour road journey back to Newcastle, arriving at our destination airport at around 2am on the 18th August, 9 hours after we had flown over the very same place.
    Just so you know, Thomas Cook rejected this and it's currently in the hands of the Spanish CAA.
  • staylor1982
    Options
    ian1964 wrote: »
    has there been any update with this post ,as i have started court action regarding this flight. any help will be grateful

Just to update you...
    I have not heard anything from Thomas Cook or the CAA regarding flight TCX2312 on 29th September 2012 to Alicante Airport.
    It was December 2012 when I wrote to Thomas Cook again and I am still waiting to this day.
    After watching BBC1s watchdog tonight, at the end of the show they say whats on next weeks show which was 'Surprise' about the flight delay compensation and 'Why are Thomas Cook not paying up'
    The Programme is on BBC1 next Wednesday at 8pm. Got to watch!
    But after hearing about it I thought that I will chase it up again.

(P.S Ian, I have sent you a private message, explaining what happened)
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2013 at 11:07PM
    Options
    Just to update you...
    I have not heard anything from Thomas Cook or the CAA regarding flight TCX2312 on 29th September 2012 to Alicante Airport.
    It was December 2012 when I wrote to Thomas Cook again and I am still waiting to this day.
    After watching BBC1s watchdog tonight, at the end of the show they say whats on next weeks show which was 'Surprise' about the flight delay compensation and 'Why are Thomas Cook not paying up'
    The Programme is on BBC1 next Wednesday at 8pm. Got to watch!
    But after hearing about it I thought that I will chase it up again.

(P.S Ian, I have sent you a private message, explaining what happened)
    I wouldn't waste your time with the CAA, pointless and costs a stamp...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • grazzzz
    grazzzz Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2013 at 8:29AM
    Options
    Mickeymoos wrote: »
    Grazzzz - have you every been told what your technical reason was. Despite asking TC numerous times for details, they just kept replying that it was a technical fault and wouldn't give me any specifics. Last email from them said that the engineer's report was just a list of codes and they weren't trained to decipher them. I fail to understand why, if they are that certain that the fault was an extraordinary one, they just wouldn't tell me what it was. I am hoping they are just stalling to avoid paying out!

I knew from the ground staff at the airport that it was a cracked cockpit window screen however this was found on the aircraft that hadn't even left Gatwick bringing out the earlier passengers. However TC would not confirm this in writing said it was for them to know and was a private matter only when I took court action was it confirmed as a cracked cockpit screen but seeing it was found on a previous flight I believe they cannot continue to use EC as an excuse on the knock on delayed flights I also believe my flight was technically cancelled as it didn't arrive back to Gatwick they flew us to stansted as the replacement aircraft was needed for another flight from stansted. I am suppose to be in court soon however TC have asked that the witness is on holiday so want the date delayed however judge hasn't made a decision on this as yet
  • chili2001
    chili2001 Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    grazzzz wrote: »
    I knew from the ground staff at the airport that it was a cracked cockpit window screen however this was found on the aircraft that hadn't even left Gatwick bringing out the earlier passengers. However TC would not confirm this in writing said it was for them to know and was a private matter only when I took court action was it confirmed as a cracked cockpit screen but seeing it was found on a previous flight I believe they cannot continue to use EC as an excuse on the knock on delayed flights I also believe my flight was technically cancelled as it didn't arrive back to Gatwick they flew us to stansted as the replacement aircraft was needed for another flight from stansted. I am suppose to be in court soon however TC have asked that the witness is on holiday so want the date delayed however judge hasn't made a decision on this as yet

If the witness is on holiday then I hope they didn't fly with TC. You could be in for a long wait as he will probably be delayed on his return! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure