Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• LittleVermin
    Options
    A lot of mention of the CC Orders - here is a link to the latest edition [October 2016] of the FAQs re these orders. I'll just quote the first bit of the 17 pages:
    Frequently asked questions on the Orders made after the
    domestic bulk liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)
    market investigation

This document is intended as a guide for customers to the main changes resulting from the Competition Commission’s (CC) investigation of the domestic bulk LPG industry. This investigation resulted in the CC making the Domestic Bulk Liquefied Petroleum Gas Market Investigation Order and the Domestic Bulk Liquefied Petroleum Gas Market Investigation (Metered Estates) Order (the Orders). This document does not form part of either Order and does not have any legal force or effect. This document replaces a similar one that was published by the CC in May 2009 by the Office of Fair Trading in March 2012 and June 2013 and by the CMA in January 2015.

These FAQs are available for all bulk LPG users (and anyone else!) to read. There is also a link to a large government archive containing the actual Orders (which do have legal force) ...and to all the evidence gathering and consultation docs and the responses: these are also public documents but there is some redaction (particularly of the suppliers' names).
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Firstly 'UKGasMan', welcome to the forum and congratulations for raising your head above the parapet.
    UKGasMan wrote: »
    I have read the thread for some time, so I know that there are very mixed feelings!

I think you may have misread some points - my take is that the general feeling is, that the industry is run by a bunch of sharks who seem to put up prices for no real reason, but never seem to drop them much.

;)
  • richbeth
    Options
    mcmullank wrote: »
    My car may be owned by a leasing company but they don't tell me where to get my petrol from. If you are out of contract but continue to rent your tank, there is no contractual nor legal requirement for you to purchase the LPG from the tank owner. The rental that you pay should include for the UKLPG mandated inspection (which is (from memory) visual every year and tested every 10 years)

I think the leased car analogy is incorrect. Most (not all) LPG contracts are for provision of the supply of LPG which involves the supplier owning the tank. So it is more like you want a chauffeur who supplies his own car. You couldn't just use his car when he wasn't driving you around.

If anyone about to buy a house with an LPG tank is reading this then I would recommend you ask the current occupier to have the tank filled just before they leave and then pay them for the gas. This should give you at least several months to investigate alternatives without having to worry about running out of gas and being forced into a 2 year contract of the first offer that comes along.

If anyone reading this with a LPG tank is selling their house then why don't you make this offer to the buyer.

R
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    richbeth wrote: »
    I think the leased car analogy is incorrect. Most (not all) LPG contracts are for provision of the supply of LPG which involves the supplier owning the tank. So it is more like you want a chauffeur who supplies his own car. You couldn't just use his car when he wasn't driving you around....R

You are very welcome to your opinion but in the absence of any actual data the points made by mcmullank above seem much more convincing. If I am paying to rent a tank it seems reasonable that I should have some say in who fills it and that if I am out of contract with the owner, they should not be able to enforce a monopoly supply situation.

Of course, as we know industry practices and consumers legal rights are often two quite different animals.. even if they can legally fill another company's tank, will they I wonder?
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • mcmullank
    Options
    richbeth wrote: »
    I think the leased car analogy is incorrect. Most (not all) LPG contracts are for provision of the supply of LPG which involves the supplier owning the tank. So it is more like you want a chauffeur who supplies his own car. You couldn't just use his car when he wasn't driving you around.

If anyone about to buy a house with an LPG tank is reading this then I would recommend you ask the current occupier to have the tank filled just before they leave and then pay them for the gas. This should give you at least several months to investigate alternatives without having to worry about running out of gas and being forced into a 2 year contract of the first offer that comes along.

If anyone reading this with a LPG tank is selling their house then why don't you make this offer to the buyer.

R

The leased car analogy is not incorrect. A leased vehicle is owned by the leasing company at all times.

However, there is no contract in place when someone purchases a property. Whatever contract existed between the previous occupant and the tank owner is not binding on the purchaser of the property (unless it is a metered estate).
  • mcmullank
    Options
    JerryW wrote: »
    Of course, as we know industry practices and consumers legal rights are often two quite different animals.. even if they can legally fill another company's tank, will they I wonder?

Exactly this. The industry may wish to appear competitive but they also have to take a holistic view of the market and thus it is highly unlikely that you will get a company to fill anothers tank. Nothing to do with ownership, law and everything to do with protecting their industry. It is one of the reasons why the market is not as competitive as it should be (regardless of the CC findings)
  • stubuy
    stubuy Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, sorry to jump in here but I have a couple of thoughts to share on this subject.
    Firstly I think the car lease analogy works only as far as the lease company perhaps restricting who drives the car, they would need the relevant license, age conditions etc, it is up to them who drives "their" car not the leaser. With something as complicated as a bulk tank they should only be filled by the company that own them, they can vouch that the installation is correct and the servicing etc is up to date, otherwise upon filling there could be a problem and if it's a random filler who cannot ensure personally that all tests etc are up to date then there could be a problem if a pipe split or prv failed. In today's society who would you sue? the owner of the tank or the filler?
    Similarly, you cannot take a "Calor " cylinder to a filler and get this filled by them, same issue, different scale.
    One further point I would add is that it's not just the raw cost of the LPG that should be considered, there are many other factors, some unique to the dangerous goods carried that also add considerably to the overall cost of distributing LPG.
  • mcmullank
    Options
    stubuy wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to jump in here but I have a couple of thoughts to share on this subject.
    Firstly I think the car lease analogy works only as far as the lease company perhaps restricting who drives the car, they would need the relevant license, age conditions etc, it is up to them who drives "their" car not the leaser. With something as complicated as a bulk tank they should only be filled by the company that own them, they can vouch that the installation is correct and the servicing etc is up to date, otherwise upon filling there could be a problem and if it's a random filler who cannot ensure personally that all tests etc are up to date then there could be a problem if a pipe split or prv failed. In today's society who would you sue? the owner of the tank or the filler?
    Similarly, you cannot take a "Calor " cylinder to a filler and get this filled by them, same issue, different scale.
    One further point I would add is that it's not just the raw cost of the LPG that should be considered, there are many other factors, some unique to the dangerous goods carried that also add considerably to the overall cost of distributing LPG.

Just to continue the analogy, the car lease company do not have any control over who drives the vehicle. Drivers would need to have the appropriate licence to comply with the law but this isn't anything to do with the leasing company.

Similarly with the tanks, no-one is suggesting that you get John from down the road to try and fill the bulk tank from a couple of cylinders that they have. All the LPG companies can and may end up owning any tank over the lifetime of a tank. For example, Flogas now own my tank after taking it over from Calor, there is no suggestion that Flogas are not competent to fill the tank either now nor whilst it was in Calor ownership. Nor do employees need to undertake specific training for one companies tanks over another. Add into the mix self-owned tanks and there is quite clearly no "black magic" to LPG tanks regardless of the information from the LPG companies.

To hammer home the point, there are many examples of people on this very thread who had a supplier refuse to take over a tank due to the location and it not being compliant with UKLPG separation distances. In such instance, you have to ask why the current supplier was continuing to fill the *non-compliant* tank. Could you as the customer insist that the supplier moved to tank to a compliant location? Clearly if the tank is owned by the supplier then it would be their responsibility to ensure compliance AT ALL TIMES and not just when it suits.

Safety and commercial interests are clearly not mutually exclusive.
  • UKGasMan
    UKGasMan Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2016 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Apologies for the delay in replying.

In every LPG contact I have ever seen (and I have probably seen 95% of all LPG supplier's contracts), the supplier expressly forbids the filling of their tank by anyone else, so as a starter, you are suggesting that people breach their contract, which could lead them to financial penalty or court (civil). Furthermore, LPG contracts continue to run after the exclusivity period, until the customer switches supplier or the tank is uplifted.

People have later quoted an analogy surrounding lease cars - if the contract you have with a lease car company does not stipulate which garage to use, then you can use whichever one you wish, but if it was contractual then they could enforce it in court if you were to breach. My question would be - if you don't want to be bound by the terms of a contract, why would you sign it? You could reasonably use an "uncontracted" product like LPG cylinders. As an aside, people COULD have their own tanks installed and then call around for prices.It is just the upfront costs that seem to put people off doing that.

You are correct about the words in PSSR, but the regulation goes beyond that phrase. A supplier must have a written scheme of examination, must test the vessel and keep certificates on both the testing and the tank itself. Anyone else filling it would have no documentation whatsoever (apart from the data plate), so would be to assuming that these things had been done, as they would never know for sure. So unless the current supplier provides this data to the new supplier before the transfer process takes place (which they don't), if something goes wrong then HSE will take a dim view. Prosecutions have occurred.

Quote: "but quite simply you are wrong to state that it is illegal to fill an LPG tank that is owned by a third party." 1. It is illegal to exploit the assets of another company. 2. It is illegal to induce a breach of contract. As analogies are popular, it is just like me deciding to run a train on Network Rail's line without their consent.

On another note, existing vessels have "grandfather rights", so no, the customer could not force the re-siting. If the codes of practice change then the existing supplier can keep the tank where it is. Some suppliers will move tanks FOC if the customer does the civil work though. On this one, I do agree with you - if it is unsafe then the tank should be moved. The fact that the safety standards have changed/tightened should not put the consumer at risk.

I completely understand that people are frustrated with some aspects of the LPG industry - it is not as transparent as some others. The problem in my opinion is the lack of competition and also the size of the "heavyweights" in the industry. Between the three of them they have over 85% of the UK market (last stats I saw). If you look at the number of oil distributors compared to LPG, the difference is vast. LPG is a hugely expensive business to be in, but I really do hope that in the not too distant future the market will become more accessible to entrants.

I really recommend that people act on the "wake up" letter that is sent at the end of their exclusivity period and actually take the time to investigate what all is available to them. Resources such as this forum are great to understand if they are getting a good deal or not.
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mr Gas Man, I am grateful for these insights into how the industry works, it is all very educational. I also think that most of what you say is either right or is standard industry practice, so may just as well be.

.. Please understand that I am not at all criticising you personally, when I say that the situation you describe is not a comfortable place for us gas users to inhabit. Nor do I really know what can be done about that, so far as improving the market is concerned.

Obviously a lot can be done by individuals within the existing framework. I am reasonably happy with my own situation, having now a contract with Woldlink/Flogas which is charging me c25p/l at present.

Various people on this thread have in the past suggested that it is fairly easy to buy your tank from the supplier and maintain it yourself .. I'm wondering if you have any comment to make on that? Obviously there are regulations to be adhered to, but it is hard to believe they can be all that onerous, given that Calor were happy to keep on filling the tank they rented to me, that the Avantigas engineer said was "The most non-compliant tank he had ever seen in thirty years in the industry."
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback