Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• collectors
    collectors Posts: 232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 January 2017 at 1:11PM
    Options
    Has any one got impossible LPG gas meters. IE: the ones like an old car fuel gauge. I have this type & could not get an accurate reading to see what my daily/weekly/monthly consumption was. So i purchased a gas meter with connections from eBay & while my boiler was being serviced i got the engineer to fit the meter in line. Total cost for the meter & fitting was £105.00 inc vat. Now i can keep a lot more accurate eye on the usage.
    The only thing now was converting LPG liquid liters to LPG gas vapor that the new meter reads in (Cubic meters) Thanks to the internet i found a calculation of "meter reading * 3.82 * 32p = ??? "
    So:
    70cm gas meter reading
    * 3.82 liters LPG delivered to vapor conversion
    * 32 pence per liter delivered
    cost =£85.56 + 5% vat

It has saved me a lot already & more than paid for the meter fit in just a few months with adjusting times & thermostats to see the daily cost difference.
    I have now ordered my LPG top up from flogas on 28/12/16 but it wont be delivered until the 11/1/17. The lady said i would be charged at the rate when i ordered it. (We will see). It should be 32p per ltr & i hope without the 37% hike they are adding from the 1st of jan.
    CONT:
    Flogas delivered my gas at the old price of 32p which is great, but they came 10 days early than what they said & it means i lost out on a 10 days heating LPG at the old price. Oh well.
  • bobmac62
    bobmac62 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    January 2017 LPG pricing from Woldlink advised at 27.59ppp + 5% VAT. An increase of 1.64ppl from December 2016.
  • mcmullank
    mcmullank Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bobmac62 wrote: »
    January 2017 LPG pricing from Woldlink advised at 27.59ppp + 5% VAT. An increase of 1.64ppl from December 2016.

Not as bad as I thought it may be.
  • collectors
    Options
    bobmac62 wrote: »

Its a good price, but flogas gave me a price that was fixed for 1 year at 32p about 12 months ago fixed for 1 year. I think Woodlink's prices are changeable monthly still with a years contract.
  • mcmullank
    Options
    collectors wrote: »
    Its a good price, but flogas gave me a price that was fixed for 1 year at 32p about 12 months ago fixed for 1 year. I think Woodlink's prices are changeable monthly still with a years contract.
    They are changeable but only those that are on the tariff are able to get these prices. Others now have to accept the contract but with 6 month fixed prices I believe.

I also could have signed up for a 32p fixed for a year contract with a 3ppl cap on year two but so far the Woldlink deal has saved me > £900 since 09/2015.
  • collectors
    Options
    mcmullank wrote: »
    They are changeable but only those that are on the tariff are able to get these prices. Others now have to accept the contract but with 6 month fixed prices I believe.

I also could have signed up for a 32p fixed for a year contract with a 3ppl cap on year two but so far the Woldlink deal has saved me > £900 since 09/2015.

Will certainly put woldlink at the top of my list when my contract ends with flogas, & hopefully they will still be giving good incentives to sign up with them "like the £250 free LPG"
  • WILLIAM
    Options
    We have just been quoted 30p/L by and 28.5p/L by 2 suppliers in Somerset. Both fixed for 1 year plus £250 of free gas. It is a 2 year contract with maximum increase of 2p/L in year 2.

I wish the pricing was more transparent so that as consumers we ALL know what is the market price instead of having to negotiate prices every 2 years.
  • mcmullank
    Options
    WILLIAM wrote: »
    We have just been quoted 30p/L by and 28.5p/L by 2 suppliers in Somerset. Both fixed for 1 year plus £250 of free gas. It is a 2 year contract with maximum increase of 2p/L in year 2.

I wish the pricing was more transparent so that as consumers we ALL know what is the market price instead of having to negotiate prices every 2 years.

The only way that we will get transparency in pricing is to take it upon ourselves to publish the prices we are offered. So thanks for your info. Can you tell us who offered the prices that you quoted.

I have a particular bee in my bonnet about the "maximum increase in year 2" and would be interested to see any wording that you have been provided in relation to this. As is normally the case, it doesn't stop the supplier from increasing more than the "maximum", it just allows you to exit the contract. This is a really important difference.
  • chubbs85240
    Options
    Just hit my renewal with Avanti Gas after a 2 year fixed period

They said standard price is 37ppl, but they could do me 32 ppl 1 year fixed

I told them I was offered 28ppl by them about 3 weeks ago in a letter, so they have now offered this.

Year 2 increase capped at 3% per 6 months (so i.e max 31ppl in 12 months, then max 34ppl in 18 months)

Will be interesting to see if this is an actual cap, or a cap which if broken allows me to exit the contract.

Out of interest, has anyone seen a longer than 2 year option.

At current prices, I'd be quite happy to fix for 3-5 years....

I'm in Aberdeenshire in case anyone wondered
    155695 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2017 at 7:49PM
    Options
    My 2 year deal with Avanti Gas expired last September and I was immediately hit with a 13% increase to 43ppl. I phoned them and wrote them a lengthy letter of complaint citing some example prices from this forum.

They refused to budge and I made my views known, including stating they had a very peculiar customer retention strategy. I told them I would be changing from them when my contract expires this coming May, even if I had to pay double their price to another provider - and I meant it.

I will be ringing round in the near future for some quotes, probably starting with Woldlink.

One thing is certain, I won't be staying with Avanti gas whatever incentive they offer me and I will never return to them.

In my view they are just a bunch of rip off merchants.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback