Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• PaulF81
    PaulF81 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    Options
    Just paid 690 quid to refill our bulk tank with Flogas... fixed at 41.5ppl. Last tank lasted 18 months, fingers crossed we can last this Christmas and next before another refill.

We do a lot of coal and wood in the wood burner, the last seasoned hardwood we chopped down in the garden will go this Christmas we reckon.

This is for a large 4 bed detached.
  • JonRegnart
    Options
    Thank HateLPG you that really helped.

One more thing, what's the calorific value of LPG. So how many kWh are there in a single litre? Many sources are quoting different values. One source is quoting 9 I was wondering if any of you came across a fairly authoritative source. Again thank you for all your help.
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There is a fairly comprehensive list here:

http://www.nottenergy.com/energy_cost_comparison/energy_comparison_data/july_2014/

However the figures quoted for LPG and Propane do not line up, this is covered in posts #2253 and 2254, in essence the 6.66 KWh per litre quoted for LPG is the net calorific value, 7.07 KWh per litre is the gross calorific value of propane, and therefore LPG (which is almost entirely propane).

Calor quote 7.07 KWh per litre as the energy value, which is the comparison figure to use if you are running a modern condensing boiler.
  • JonRegnart
    Options
    Thank thozza,

I've had a range of different values (albeit relatively close) but that value seems like the mean to me.

Thank you for all your help.
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some good news for the weekend: prices are still slowly drifting downwards :j

lpg_price_info.php?v=2&m=20140901
  • aled_morgan
    Options
    Calor Gas South Wales

Thought I would share the following, I've received an "group account" renewal from Calor Gas which is as follows
    47p/l +VAT fixed for 12months
    16.90p per day standing charge and a £75 gas renewal credit.

I contacted Calor to see if they could improve on their offer and mentioned that Cardiff Gas at the moment offer 38p/l + 20p standing charge, but no joy as this is the best Calor could offer.
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Calor Gas South Wales

Thought I would share the following, I've received an "group account" renewal from Calor Gas which is as follows
    47p/l +VAT fixed for 12months
    16.90p per day standing charge and a £75 gas renewal credit.

I contacted Calor to see if they could improve on their offer and mentioned that Cardiff Gas at the moment offer 38p/l + 20p standing charge, but no joy as this is the best Calor could offer.

47ppl + VAT is simply a joke: it's not the best Calor can offer - it's the most they think they can get away with charging. Hopefully, you will shortly be demonstrating to them that in point of fact, they can NOT get away with charging that sort of price.

To put this into context, Extrafuel - http://www.extrafuel.co.uk/ (as used and recommended by our very own LittleVermin) are currently offering 12 months fixed at 39.95ppl + VAT. I don't know what the standing charge would be in your particular case. I happen to know that other suppliers are also offering far more competitive rates at present - especially some of the independent suppliers.

Anyone want to chip in and buy Calor a job-lot of pencil sharpeners? Sounds like they could use them!
  • Adam-C_2
    Options
    lpguk.info, which is the Marketing brand of Extra Gas and Extra Fuel is still currently 38p per litre, when I signed up with LPG UK, I became an Extra Gas customer because of where I live. Apparently, if you're outside of the north west you'll become an Extra Fuel customer but crucially at the LPG UK Rate. so 38ppl is still available as a price. this must really be hurting the likes of Calor now.
  • Jaspersmum
    Options
    Just wanted to say I have just signed a two year fixed price deal with Extra Gas (Extra Fuel). They offered first year at 35p and then second year at 38p ( I am in North Yorkshire). I have just finished a two year contract with Calor who at the end of my contract in July were charging me 54.40p. They put up the price by approx 3.5p every 3 - 6 months during my two year contract.
    I phoned them on several occasions during the two years to ask why they had put the price up and they just referred me to the terms and conditions and said they could put up the price every 3 months by 3.5p, so wasn't I lucky that they didn't! I told them I could not afford these rises and where was the justification and they told me to borrow the money from my family!!!!
    It was at this point that I reported them to my local MP and the Energy Minister.
    I would in no way ever have another contract with Calor, it starts off with a decent price and some free fuel then they constantly hike the price as per their terms and conditions. I would rather be cold than use Calor ever again and I told them so!!!!
  • rathjam
    Options
    Hi, first time poster here.

I've just moved into a property built around 1900. It was previously fitted with old storage heaters which I have taken out for renovations. I'm getting an LPG tank installed in the garden as there is no mains supply. Wanted to post my progress so far (as of 15.09.14).

I get the impression a lot of posts refer to people with tanks already installed and looking to switch provider. So this one is about being new to LPG.

I'm getting an underground tank fitted due to limited garden space and will be arranging the groundwork myself as I think this will be a cheaper option and afford me more choice for supplier. I'm in the Ashby area of Leicestershire.

I've had two quotes so far and I'll list the initial and then what they came down to (so far) after me telling them I am getting other quotes;

Initial
    Calor - Free install, 48p + VAT (first 12m) then maximum 3.5p increase per 6 months for the year 2.

Avanti - £250 install, 45p + VAT (first 12m) then maximum 5p increase per 3 months

After competition was added to the equation
    Calor - Free install, 45p + VAT (first 12m) then 3p mximum increase for year 2 capped for 12ms

Avanti - Free install, 40p + VAT (first 12m) then 45p for year two fixed for 12ms

By the looks of what I am reading there are other companies providing cheaper than both quotes, although I am unsure if that would be the case if they were doing the initial install. I have Flogas coming later in the week but having seen their reputation it will be more for reference.

Finally, I haven't done any negotiating yet... the price reduction was purely due to telling them I'm not signing anything as I am getting quotes from different companies. Avanti did say that's as low as they would go but I never believe that the first time it's said.

Hopefully that helps someone in a similar position... any advice also appreciated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback