Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just renewed my contract with Calor. They offered 42p/l, fixed for 12 months then rising no more than 3.5p in any six months, plus £150 credit. tank £15/qtr.
    Avantigas (Shell as was) offered me 39.8p for 12m then no more than 5p/qtr rise.. and probably no less than. No £150, tank rental the same, so I avoided the hassle of a move..
    Limagas declined to quote as they felt (despite what their website claims, or is Kent not in the south of England?) that it was too far to come. I suspect they would have been cheaper still.
    All above figures need 5% vat added..

Overall, I'm happy. Calor are a good company, I think, pricing excepted; but expensive - they will charge anything up to 60p if they can get away with it.
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VGVIP wrote: »
    Thanks for such good information on this thread.

I am buying a new property and the gas tank is under private ownership and so will transfer to me with the sale of the property.
    Lima Gas as listed in this thread has quoted 36ppl.
    Thanks again!

Just noticed this. Lima gas is a small company, but from my limited dealings with them they seemed friendly & knew their business. Although they turned me down I had rather that than promises that aren't kept. Best not let the tank level get too low until you are happy with their refill times. Sometimes propane gets a bit short supply in midwinter.

So far as the tank is concerned do read up on testing and certification etc., and make certain the vendor is fully up to date with all that, or makes appropriate allowances to have it done. Can be a minefield..
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • 2005eyeball
    2005eyeball Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone, we are moving in to a property with an LPG tank too, going to check the tank & call for some quotes.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 July 2014 at 9:44AM
    Options
    Update to http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=65363261&postcount=2275

Online prices, in ppl - and annual rental for above-ground tanks - today:

Extra Fuel ............. 39.02, £60
    Cardiff Gas ............ 42, £73
    Lister .................... 43.47, £50
    LPGas Wales Direct 47.5, (no figure given)

I also emailed Lima Gas:
    Lima Gas ........ ...... 38, first year free then £60

All forum users' comments about independents in post #2273.
    JerryW wrote: »
    Limagas declined to quote as they felt (despite what their website claims, or is Kent not in the south of England?) that it was too far to come. I suspect they would have been cheaper still....
    Overall, I'm happy. Calor are a good company, I think, pricing excepted; but expensive - they will charge anything up to 60p if they can get away with it.

ALL the independents posting transparent prices, and Lima, charge ALL customers the same price* - see JerryW's comment about Calor's prices (which is true of the other majors, and some independents, e.g. Countrywide - see posts on this forum!)

If you are near an independent's delivery area it's ALWAYS worth seeing if they'll deliver. If they supply a metered estate nearby you are more likely to be lucky! The delivery areas for Cardiff Gas and Lima Gas have grown rapidly - not surprising with their low prices - so JerryW might be lucky when his contract is up for switch/renewal in 2 years' time.

*OK, Cardiff Gas and Extra Fuel specify that they charge tank owners less. Extra Fuel and Lima Gas also offer a fixed price deal, and Extra Fuel operates nationally (using third party deliveries). The Lister price is the 'ANSI Tracker' price on their website - they may do other deals.
  • PaulF81
    PaulF81 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    Options
    Managed a 9 month fixed price contract with Flo gas for 41.5ppl... Tank rental about 10pence per day.

This came down from over 60ppl!! I had gotten a quote from Cardiff gas and asked for a price match. To be fair, they did.
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remarkable for being unremarkable this month (unless you happen to be with Extra Gas)

lpg_price_info.php?v=2&m=20140701
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2014 at 10:31PM
    Options
    HateLPG wrote: »
    Remarkable for being unremarkable this month (unless you happen to be with Extra Gas)
    PaulF81 wrote: »
    Managed a 9 month fixed price contract with Flo gas for 41.5ppl... Tank rental about 10pence per day.

This came down from over 60ppl!! .......

This month Extra Fuel's variable monthly (i.e. tracker) price is 39.02 and the fixed price 39.95. Above ground tank rental is £60 p.a.. Based in Manchester but operate nationwide (subcontracted deliveries here in Cornwall - I've been a customer for over 4 years with no problems. Yes, Flo delivers!).

You can sign up for the fixed price for 12 months and after that either go on the monthly price or opt for the current fixed price.

http://www.extrafuel.co.uk/

All the Flogas customers paying silly prices ("over 60ppl!!") subsidise the ones getting a decent rate. Ditto Calor, etc, and among independents Countrywide and probably a few others.

Footnote: DAVID.T - who's in the industry - said his average customer used 2,500l p.a. - so paying 1ppl extra on the LPG is the same as paying £25 extra on the tank rental for such folk. Some hagglers* have reported that though their potential supplier refused to quote any lower on the ppl they were prepared to shave money off the rental. That's why bulk LPG users need to make a simple table every 2 years for the quotes - showing ppl, rental, fixed term (if any), and maximum increase after fixed term ...and any fine print (ask to be sent a draft contract too!).

*See longforgotten's post - which I quoted a bit of in post #2292!
  • meagan
    meagan Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    just had a phone call from flogas offered me 38p for 12mths and £250 credit.can't believe it.wonder what other co.will offer.he said the price of gas had gone down. THER MUST BE A CATCH
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given that we're just outside our 9mo fix now (Calor, 48p), but still in our 2yr contract, what do you reckon I'll get charged when they next fill the tank? Should I call and hassle them now? We've got ~60% of the tank remaining...
  • Adam-C_2
    Adam-C_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    First post.
    Hello There.

In reply to Meagan

the catch is the 2nd year. National companies have it written in their Ts & Cs that they can in fact put the price up above the agreed cap (in exceptional circumstances) and if they do that you can cancel your contract. this sounds great until they tell you that they're going to charge you for removing their tank and don't make good the ground when they have finished. I have been using LPG for 12 years and have stayed with Independent suppliers. they are the most trustworthy one. currently with ExtraGas. I believe they now own Extrafuel and LPG UK. really growing in stature and it shows with my gas price 38ppl fixed for 12 months ATM, and a review after the first year to see about fixing again.

I live in Cheshire by the way.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure