🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• Fylde_Flyer
    Fylde_Flyer Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 10 April 2014 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Hi

I have been reading this forum with interest and would like to share details of the offer I received from Budget Gas with you. I have been offered 35p per litre fixed for 12 months. A friend told me they are a new local supplier in the Blackpool area. I called the number I was given * and spoke to a nice lady called *. She explained that Budget Gas was a new company in Blackpool and offered me 38.5p per litre. I told her that my friend had been offered 35p fixed for 12 months and she said that she would match my friends offer. When I put the phone down I did some research and found out that Budget Gas is 100% owned by Calor Gas. I also discovered that Budget Gas operates out of the Calor centre at Squires Gate, Blackpool together with Home Heat Gas Company Limited which is another 100% owned subsiduary of Calor Gas. I called Jan back to ask if this was true and she said Budget Gas is a local supplier. I pushed the matter and eventually she agreed that it was part of Calor Gas. She really did not want to admit this.

Despite the above I thought that I would let people know about the amazing price I have agreed with Budget Gas. I cannot believe that Calor Gas are being so underhand by quoting 35p per litre to domestic customers through Budget Gas when other customers of theirs in the area are paying in excess of 50p per litre. If you are a Calor customer and are paying over 35p per litre you really should give Jan a call.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LOL - edited my the mods ... presumably to delete the lady's name, which is mentioned twice more without deletion!! :D
  • CumbrianOracle
    Options
    This is good to know - Calor offering domestics 35p per litre fixed for 12 months! I'm still under contract with the Flo rip off merchants so can't do anything at the moment but I hope Budget Gas deliver to my area (Cumbria). Does anyone know as none of my neighbours had heard of them - they are all stuck with Flo or Calor.

I am surprised that Calor are allowed to try and hide hide the fact that Budget Gas is 100% owned by Calor. Even on the Budget Gas website this fact is only mentioned in small letters on the bottom of the second page. How can a company, carrying a Royal Warrant, try and deceive the public in such a way? I wonder if the OFT are aware of what they are doing and what they think about it.

As Fylde Flyer says I would encourage any domestic Calor customer who is paying over 35p per litre to contact Budget Gas for this deal.

I would be interested to know if anyone in other parts of the country have come across any other Calor subsidiaries claiming to offer "a truly local service" and offering far cheaper prices than Calor.
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slight upturn (perhaps not surprising);
    No April prices yet posted by Malvern Hills, so still showing March price.

lpg_price_info.php?v=2&m=20140401
  • Shrew48
    Options
    Hi All

I'm a newbie and this is my first post.

I'm very keen to know more about the Budget Gas and Calor relationship. I live near Shrewsbury and am with Budget Gas currently paying 52p per litre. I am astonised as to how can they charge me this and yet are offering a fixed price of 35p to other customers (as per Fylde Flyers post). I use about 2500 litres per year which means I am paying about £425 plus VAT per year more those paying a fixed price of 35p for the same amount of gas.

I have been online and looked at the websites of Calor and Budget Gas and to me it looks like Calor do not want people to know they are associated with Budget Gas. Calors website is excellent but I cannot find any mention of Budget Gas on there. I wonder why? Budget's website looks old, out of date and cheap compared to Calors. I think its to try and make Budget Gas look like a regional supplier and not part of Calor Gas. I think they are using Budget Gas to try and attract new business at much lower prices than they charge.

I would urge anyone who is with Calor Gas to ask if they can be supplied on the Budget Gas price which is obviously far lower than its own price.

As soon as my contract expires I will leave Budget and Calor and go to one of the independents. I cannot stand devious behaviour and I think what Calor Gas is doing is disgusting.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shrew48 wrote: »
    I think its to try and make Budget Gas look like a regional supplier and not part of Calor Gas.

The "about us" page does say...
    "Budget Gas Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Calor Gas Ltd, Company Number 303703, whose registered office is at:-
    Athena House, Athena Drive, Tachbrook Park, Warwick, CV34 6RL."
  • Shrew48
    Options
    Thanks Adrian.

In small letters at the bottom of the second page on Budgets website. Where does it mention about Budget Gas on Calor's website?
  • Fylde_Flyer
    Options
    When I was offered the 35p deal the girl didn't mention Calor Gas and was very reluctant to admit that Budget was owned by Calor when I rang her.

I have her business card in my possession and it says Budget Gas Ltd suppliers of bulk lpg & cylinders, Unit 15 Squires Gate Industrial Estate, Blackpool. On the back it says Home Heat Gas Co. on time every time. There is no mention of Calor.

I know from my previous research that Home Heat Gas Company is also a supplier of lpg in cylinders with the same address as Budget Gas. Unit 15 is also a Calor centre which I presume means that 3 different Calor companies are selling cylinders from there as well as 2 selling bulk gas from there. How misleading is this to the public and why are Calor doing it?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know from my previous research that Home Heat Gas Company is also a supplier of lpg in cylinders with the same address as Budget Gas. Unit 15 is also a Calor centre which I presume means that 3 different Calor companies are selling cylinders from there as well as 2 selling bulk gas from there. How misleading is this to the public and why are Calor doing it?

With HHGC you don't even need go to the second page of their site to see that they're Calor...
    "Home Heat Gas Company Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Calor Gas Limited (company number 303703) whose registered office is at Athena House, Athena Drive, Tachbrook Park, Warwick CV34 6RL."

Lots of directorial appointments for Calor "names" in March 2008 for HHGC
    https://www.duedil.com/company/01947334/homeheat-gas-company-limited/people
    so looks like that's when they were bought by Calor.

Same story (and names!) for Budget Gas in 2006.
    https://www.duedil.com/company/01287897/budget-gas-limited/people

So not even recent acquisitions. Definitely seems to be an odd route to market, competing with yourself, but - hey-ho - if it works for them, might as well just take advantage of the prices, right?
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April 2014 at 10:52AM
    Options
    Shrew48 wrote: »
    .... I'm very keen to know more about the Budget Gas and Calor relationship.................
    I have been online and looked at the websites of Calor and Budget Gas and to me it looks like Calor do not want people to know they are associated with Budget Gas. Calors website is excellent but I cannot find any mention of Budget Gas on there. I wonder why? Budget's website looks old, out of date and cheap compared to Calors. I think its to try and make Budget Gas look like a regional supplier and not part of Calor Gas. I think they are using Budget Gas to try and attract new business at much lower prices than they charge.

I would urge anyone who is with Calor Gas to ask if they can be supplied on the Budget Gas price which is obviously far lower than its own price.

As soon as my contract expires I will leave Budget and Calor and go to one of the independents. I cannot stand devious behaviour and I think what Calor Gas is doing is disgusting.
    This is good to know - Calor offering domestics 35p per litre fixed for 12 months! I'm still under contract with the Flo rip off merchants so can't do anything at the moment but I hope Budget Gas deliver to my area (Cumbria). Does anyone know as none of my neighbours had heard of them - they are all stuck with Flo or Calor.

I am surprised that Calor are allowed to try and hide hide the fact that Budget Gas is 100% owned by Calor. Even on the Budget Gas website this fact is only mentioned in small letters on the bottom of the second page. How can a company, carrying a Royal Warrant, try and deceive the public in such a way? I wonder if the OFT are aware of what they are doing and what they think about it.

As Fylde Flyer says I would encourage any domestic Calor customer who is paying over 35p per litre to contact Budget Gas for this deal.

I would be interested to know if anyone in other parts of the country have come across any other Calor subsidiaries claiming to offer "a truly local service" and offering far cheaper prices than Calor.
    Hi

I have been reading this forum with interest and would like to share details of the offer I received from Budget Gas with you. I have been offered 35p per litre fixed for 12 months. A friend told me they are a new local supplier in the Blackpool area. I called the number I was given * and spoke to a nice lady called *. She explained that Budget Gas was a new company in Blackpool and offered me 38.5p per litre. I told her that my friend had been offered 35p fixed for 12 months and she said that she would match my friends offer. When I put the phone down I did some research and found out that Budget Gas is 100% owned by Calor Gas. I also discovered that Budget Gas operates out of the Calor centre at Squires Gate, Blackpool together with Home Heat Gas Company Limited which is another 100% owned subsiduary of Calor Gas. I called Jan back to ask if this was true and she said Budget Gas is a local supplier. I pushed the matter and eventually she agreed that it was part of Calor Gas. She really did not want to admit this.

Despite the above I thought that I would let people know about the amazing price I have agreed with Budget Gas. I cannot believe that Calor Gas are being so underhand by quoting 35p per litre to domestic customers through Budget Gas when other customers of theirs in the area are paying in excess of 50p per litre. If you are a Calor customer and are paying over 35p per litre you really should give Jan a call.

Welcome to the forum!

Is there one company or two - Budget Gas and/or Calor?

Anyway there are TWO websites for Budget Gas (which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Calor now) but both have the same logo! AND they have slightly different addresses (Square Gate and Squire's Gate) - maybe to confuse search engines (but the same postcode - so won't confuse the posties!).

Here are the web addresses:

http://www.budgetgas.co.uk/

http://www.budget-gas.co.uk/

It's all pretty simple stuff!

Some time ago "Discount Gas Supplies" in Doncaster was also apparently an independent - although it had been taken over by Calor. DCC, which owns Flogas, is well-known for buying up independents but then trading under their former names - so oil users think there's more competition than there really is. Of course Mac Gas (formerly BP Gas) is part of Flogas (which is part of DCC).

Anyway, Budget Gas (ahem, Budget Hyphen Gas) and West Wales Gas supply bulk LPG and are part of Calor. An updated list of independents will be posted soon.

Maybe there are three companies: Budget Gas, Budget Hyphen Gas and Calor Gas?

PS Flogas also has a Royal Warrant!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport