Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• AudreyHepburn_2
    Options
    Oh, there is so much support on here. Glad I found this thread. Thank you for the excellent pep talk. I needed that.

Apologies for pouring my heart out. And thank you to Dunelm and Margaret for sharing your stories.

Seconded! This is SUCH a supportive place to be - no patronising "there,theres", no judgement, just sound advice and helpful information.

Love the idea of a pamper night Jerry :-)

Sock knitter - sorry to hear you have gained - have you tired counting your total calories regardless of low/moderate carbs to see if you can find an amount at which you can start losing weight?

Just eaten my cauliflower "hoummus" LOVED IT! and will certainly make again. It's so easy as I just placed everything but the cauli and a bowl, put the cauli on to steam whilst I walked the dog last night, then mashed everythign together.

The original recipe has 2 tablespoons of tahini past , but used hazelnuts as I had them already.

I'd try it with walnuts and walnut oil another time as well.

Here is the recipe if anyone else would like to try it:

One small head of cauliflower, steamed
    3 level teaspoons garlic powder

2 tablespoons chopped roasted hazelnuts
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon chilli powder

• AudreyHepburn_2
    Options
    Thanks for the breakfast flax seed suggestion Durham - may I have the recipe please?

Oh and do you have a link to your blog please? :-)
  • murphydog999
    murphydog999 Posts: 1,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 July 2012 at 1:25PM
    Options
    I've just picked up on the post from Sheila where she has been told not to have coconut oil. Sheila, whoever told you this really, really does not know what they are talking about. Whilst coconut oil IS a saturated fat, it's chemical make-up is different to animal saturated fats, here are a few details......

Saturated fat is comprised of various different types... the 3 most common types are stearic acid, palmitic acid, and lauric acid.

Stearic acid is found in animal fat and cocoa in higher levels. Research continues to show that stearic acid has no negative impacts on heart disease risks. If anything, it's either neutral or beneficial. In fact, your liver breaks down stearic acid into a monounsaturated fat called oleic acid, which is the same type of fat that makes up most of heart-healthy olive oil. Bet you didn't know that!

Lauric acid is beneficial as well. Not only has it been shown to increase your HDL good cholesterol levels significantly, but it is also lacking in most Americans diet and has even been shown to have some powerful immune-boosting effects potentially. It is even being studied currently in HIV/AIDS research to help improve immune function in patients.

Tropical oils such as coconut and palm are the best sources of the healthy saturated fat - lauric acid.

Palmitic acid is the other main component of saturated fat and has also been shown to increase HDL good cholesterol to the same, if not greater extent than LDL bad cholesterol, thereby making it either neutral or beneficial, but certainly not bad for you.

For more details on fat types, cholesterol, and more explanations why eating certain types of fat is good for you - written by a highly renowned lady who is not only a Nutritionist, but is an expert in lipid biochemistry and has published over 60 technical papers on her work. One of her books is Eat fat, loose fat, is always high in the ratings on amazon.

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/truth-about-saturated-fat.html it's a bit long but has good snippets like this......

Poor thyroid function (hypothyroidism) will often result in high cholesterol levels. When thyroid function is poor, usually due to a diet high in sugar and low in usable iodine, fat-soluble vitamins and other nutrients, the body floods the blood with cholesterol as an adaptive and protective mechanism, providing a superabundance of materials needed to heal tissues and produce protective steroids. Hypothyroid individuals are particularly susceptible to infections, heart disease and cancer. and......

Recent research shows that cholesterol acts as an antioxidant.47 This is the likely explanation for the fact that cholesterol levels go up with age. As an antioxidant, cholesterol protects us against free radical damage that leads to heart disease and cancer.

Sorry, it's getting a bit long, just wanted to say to JJJ, re. your money spent (wasted) on drink and fags. You have said it yourself, by putting aside the money you would have spent and seeing it mount up to be spent on clothes, hair, make-up, days out etc, you know, all those things that make you feel good but have no down-sides or after-effects? It's then like a roller-coaster as your skin/eyes/teeth/health/weight/mood/improves, and to cap it all you've got more money to spend! How good is that?

(However, if there are reasons - which you don't need to explain, by the way - why you you have these addictions, or feel that you need to drink, you may have to address these first.)

Marrbett[ - how's your daughter doing?
  • sock-knitter
    sock-knitter Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Options
    Seconded! This is SUCH a supportive place to be - no patronising "there,theres", no judgement, just sound advice and helpful information.

Love the idea of a pamper night Jerry :-)

Sock knitter - sorry to hear you have gained - have you tired counting your total calories regardless of low/moderate carbs to see if you can find an amount at which you can start losing weight?

Just eaten my cauliflower "hoummus" LOVED IT! and will certainly make again. It's so easy as I just placed everything but the cauli and a bowl, put the cauli on to steam whilst I walked the dog last night, then mashed everythign together.

The original recipe has 2 tablespoons of tahini past , but used hazelnuts as I had them already.

I'd try it with walnuts and walnut oil another time as well.

Here is the recipe if anyone else would like to try it:

One small head of cauliflower, steamed
    3 level teaspoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons chopped roasted hazelnuts
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon chilli powder

no i havent counted any of the calories, didnt think you had to for lc diet. not been eating huge amounts either
    loves to knit and crochet for others
  • avstar
    avstar Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aw Margaretclare, my heart goes out to you on the loss of your daughter.

Gers, thanks for the reminder about water, I've just refilled my glass. :)

AudreyHepburn, thanks for the hoummus recipe, I'm loving healthy snacks at the mo, had celery sticks and spicy salsa at the weekend instead of the spicy Doritos I would once have.

Sock Knitter, I have homemade toasted oat & nut muesli for breakfast - it's clean eating rather than low carb, but is low GI and won't spike your blood sugar. The recipe is on my blog. I need something quick and easy before work and this fits the bill. I have it with unsweetened almond milk (Blue Diamond from Tesco) to keep the carbs down.

Yesterday was;

Brekkie - fryup of eggs, bacon & tomatoes
    lunch - salad and crustless quiche (fry onion, garlic, chilli with diced sweet pots, wilt some spinach in, put in a bowl & pour over 5 eggs, bake in oven for 45 mins until set) Will have this for work lunches too.
    Dinner - Roast chicken, salad
    Snack - celery & salsa
  • avstar
    avstar Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    Options
    Jerry Jerry Jerry, my weekend treat is a cheeky little drink.

I've been looking for an alcoholic drink that's as 'clean' as possible...I'm trying to keep blood sugar low without have processed foods so diet coke etc is out for me.

I've found some great flavoured spring waters in Aldi to mix with a short.
    This weekend I had rum with lemon & lime sparkling spring water, was lush!
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    Options
    no i havent counted any of the calories, didnt think you had to for lc diet. not been eating huge amounts either

As far as I can tell the general answer to that is "no, you don't need to count calories" but... it does seem to be that most of us have triggers that either prompt us to eat more (e.g. anything carby or alcohol or cauliflower cheese or matteson's sausage makes me likely to overeat - I don't eat pig but I know through experience that there's something in that specific one I crave) and there are some foods e.g. avocado and food additives that can cause a stall in some people.

And of course just because it's low carb that doesn't mean you can eat too much because while (I hope) we all accept that calories are not created equal, neither are they totally innocuous.

Anyway, I've had a fab day on the beach with DS2, his dad, my sister and my nieces and we're planning to be back down there tomorrow. I even went for a paddle for the first time in 6 years - had forgotten how much I miss being in the water - it was just coming to high tide before we left so it wasn't too long a walk to get there LOL.

Diet seems to be out the window so I'm planning to be back on the straight and narrow on Wednesday - please slap me if I'm not ;p If other's experiences are anything to go by these few days of being a bit lax might be a bit of a prompt.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    I've just picked up on the post from Sheila where she has been told not to have coconut oil. Sheila, whoever told you this really, really does not know what they are talking about. Whilst coconut oil IS a saturated fat, it's chemical make-up is different to animal saturated fats, here are a few details......

Saturated fat is comprised of various different types... the 3 most common types are stearic acid, palmitic acid, and lauric acid.

Stearic acid is found in animal fat and cocoa in higher levels. Research continues to show that stearic acid has no negative impacts on heart disease risks. If anything, it's either neutral or beneficial. In fact, your liver breaks down stearic acid into a monounsaturated fat called oleic acid, which is the same type of fat that makes up most of heart-healthy olive oil. Bet you didn't know that!

Lauric acid is beneficial as well. Not only has it been shown to increase your HDL good cholesterol levels significantly, but it is also lacking in most Americans diet and has even been shown to have some powerful immune-boosting effects potentially. It is even being studied currently in HIV/AIDS research to help improve immune function in patients.

Tropical oils such as coconut and palm are the best sources of the healthy saturated fat - lauric acid.

Palmitic acid is the other main component of saturated fat and has also been shown to increase HDL good cholesterol to the same, if not greater extent than LDL bad cholesterol, thereby making it either neutral or beneficial, but certainly not bad for you.

For more details on fat types, cholesterol, and more explanations why eating certain types of fat is good for you - written by a highly renowned lady who is not only a Nutritionist, but is an expert in lipid biochemistry and has published over 60 technical papers on her work. One of her books is Eat fat, loose fat, is always high in the ratings on amazon.

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/truth-about-saturated-fat.html it's a bit long but has good snippets like this......

Poor thyroid function (hypothyroidism) will often result in high cholesterol levels. When thyroid function is poor, usually due to a diet high in sugar and low in usable iodine, fat-soluble vitamins and other nutrients, the body floods the blood with cholesterol as an adaptive and protective mechanism, providing a superabundance of materials needed to heal tissues and produce protective steroids. Hypothyroid individuals are particularly susceptible to infections, heart disease and cancer. and......

Recent research shows that cholesterol acts as an antioxidant.47 This is the likely explanation for the fact that cholesterol levels go up with age. As an antioxidant, cholesterol protects us against free radical damage that leads to heart disease and cancer.

Sorry, it's getting a bit long, just wanted to say to JJJ, re. your money spent (wasted) on drink and fags. You have said it yourself, by putting aside the money you would have spent and seeing it mount up to be spent on clothes, hair, make-up, days out etc, you know, all those things that make you feel good but have no down-sides or after-effects? It's then like a roller-coaster as your skin/eyes/teeth/health/weight/mood/improves, and to cap it all you've got more money to spend! How good is that?

(However, if there are reasons - which you don't need to explain, by the way - why you you have these addictions, or feel that you need to drink, you may have to address these first.)

Marrbett[ - how's your daughter doing?

Sorry to quote the whole post, but its great!!! Such helpful stuff murphy, thanks. Thanks also for asking after my daughter. She's pretty strict with avoiding grains/sugar/inflammatory foods, takes a large dose of omega 3 oil as well as vit D daily, and whilst her excema has pretty much cleared up, her pain in her rib area has not noticeably decreased. I've managed to get her some 1 to 1 pilates sessions(with a physio/ ballet teacher)and she's working on improving an already strong core, to see if that can help with pain when she dances, but come September, she will start all her dancing again and I fear will not see the point in sticking to LCing , if it's not making much difference.
    I really hoped that reducing inflammation in her body would impact her, maybe we need to give it more time, but I guess we need to go back to the GP eventually to see if he can suggest anything else(he is the one who suggested we see the chiropractor in the 1st place.)

I hope everyone has a good evening. I've eaten terribly today, am so tired and so grabbed a tomato and mozzarella panini for my lunch and a small lemon squidgy cake with a cuppa!!!!:eek:
    Feel bloated now.
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    Sheila, have you survived???
    8 children,my goodness!!!!
  • durham_mim
    durham_mim Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the breakfast flax seed suggestion Durham - may I have the recipe please?

Oh and do you have a link to your blog please? :-)

To find anyone's blog just click on their username and a drop down box appears. Then click on homepage and it should take you to the blog.
    Weight loss 0/2st
    Inch loss = 0"

Slow & Steady 3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills