Ulster/RBS Bank problems

Options

Comments

• happy_with_my_lot!!
    Options
    Give them a break, please. They are also victims of the system. They can only work with what they're given - they can't magic a solution out of thin air.

My point exactly! It was sympathy NOT nastiness...
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    Give them a break, please. .
    I have given them a break, a permanent one. I am now stress free at another bank and don't have to queue in the rain for an hour on a Saturday morning for them to open the branch.
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    doelani wrote: »
    Branch told me he branch withdrawals would not be done until system fully up to date.

Its going to take them weeks to process those manual credits and withdrawals. Think about it. They amount to a normal days work for a cashier x the length of time the system has been down + running the branch as normal.
  • Suplex_Backbreaker
    Options
    I suspect that the cover story about 'catching up with transactions' is pure bullshot.

Their line that it's just a case of Ulster Bank being last in the order of processing and therefore being last to fix just doesn't wash. Just how long does it take to catch up transactions around the time of the problem? They've had three full weekends and twelve working days and things are still not 'up to date'. Natwest and RBS were back to relative normality (albeit with ongoing glitches) after the first weekend.

In the case of my account, recent transactions are there but deposits and withdrawals which happened around 21-26 have not yet appeared in my account. Logic would dictate that if you are 'catching up' then you'd start with things in chronological order.

My guess is that their transaction processing from when their 'software rollback' went wrong (19/20 June) for a period of time afterwards has been completely corrupted and they are trying to rebuild it so that they can find out the proper state of accounts.
  • Jim_Maxwell
    Options
    Im not an Ulster Bank Customer, but i rent my house out through a letting agent who is an Ulster Bank customer. I have not received a payment, which i usually get on the 27th of the month. Because of this i am currently overdrawn in my own bank account and am being charged for the pleasure of being so, currently to the tune of £1 per day. Anyone else in a similar position? How do i reclaim these charges from Ulster Bank if im not a customer? And who do i kick a bit of stink off to since im not even a customer and they are affecting how I live my life?
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My guess is that their transaction processing from when their 'software rollback' went wrong (19/20 June) for a period of time afterwards has been completely corrupted and they are trying to rebuild it so that they can find out the proper state of accounts.

From what I'm hearing from someone who works in a reasonably senior position in another bank, they have got things caught up to a certain date, but there is one day's transactions which are completely missing - no backups, no nothing.

Now that comes with a health warning that it could be completely wrong, but it would explain why they're taking so long to resolve it...
  • AlwaysWorking
    Options
    Had to laugh when I logged into my account his morning to see that the Ulster Bank had still taken £9 off me this month for my ufirst account.....so I pay for not being able to access my money?! ;)
    "I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together." Marilyn Monroe
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do i reclaim these charges from Ulster Bank if im not a customer?

Send a itemised bill to the agent for the charges incurred by the late payment

The agent in turn then claims it off Ulster Bank
  • happy_with_my_lot!!
    Options
    D.A. wrote: »
    From what I'm hearing from someone who works in a reasonably senior position in another bank, they have got things caught up to a certain date, but there is one day's transactions which are completely missing - no backups, no nothing.

Now that comes with a health warning that it could be completely wrong, but it would explain why they're taking so long to resolve it...

I'm taking your "health warning" on board - don't worry - but this seems to be about the most credible thing that we've heard through all the theories - can I suggest that that day is around the 21st/22nd June?

It just a pity that those people/experts/boffins at the top or - wherever they are - who probably do know what is going on, won't tell us and (before anyone jumps down my throat ;) ) the long-suffering staff on the front line, so that they can at least all sing from the same hymn sheet when they are giving us information.
  • Suplex_Backbreaker
    Options
    I'm taking your "health warning" on board - don't worry - but this seems to be about the most credible thing that we've heard through all the theories - can I suggest that that day is around the 21st/22nd June?

It just a pity that those people/experts/boffins at the top or - wherever they are - who probably do know what is going on, won't tell us and (before anyone jumps down my throat ;) ) the long-suffering staff on the front line, so that they can at least all sing from the same hymn sheet when they are giving us information.

If there was such a thing as a missing day's worth of transactions, that that would be my guess for the date too, based on a missing salary payment.

Of course, if they really have lost transaction records for a period of time then they aren't going to shout about it as, aside from the uproar and total loss of confidence in the bank, it would be an invitation for every would-be fraudster in the country to have a crack. (As it is, I suspect lots of fraud will have been going on anyway during the ongoing period of disruption.)

Certainly, the problem is clearly about more than simply 'catching up' on a queue of transactions that hadn't been processed/had to be unwound and redone. They've had ample time since the original problem to re-run transaction logs, if they are still missing stuff from 21-22 or thereabouts yet have later transactions showing then they have no easy way to get it back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure