Spill the beans...on which firms ignore your 'no cold callers sign'

Options

Comments

• missionary_2
    Options
    money69 wrote: »
    EVEREST double glazing - and I was told I was rude because I pointed out the sign on the door.

Sorry but that was very definitely a rogue Rep and he should be identified to Everest. Every Everest Rep carries a small blue book recording his movements, and inside the back cover there is a list of rules composing the Everest code of behaviour.
    Rule 1 - 'Be neat tidy and well-dressed.'
    Rule 2 - ...'please respect the individual request of the householder if they have a sticker requesting no cold calling.'
    Rule 6 - 'Be polite and respectful to everyone, all the time'
    Rule 7 - 'Never outstay your welcome'

Everest have a justly good reputation for their canvassing behaviour and are very tough with those who do not follow the code. If you see the man again then get his employee code number from his ID card which should be on display when he is working, and report him.

I am sure Everest will be sorry to hear of your complaint.

mish
  • Fugley
    Options
    Talk Talk and twice on the same day
  • macavity
    macavity Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Jehovas witnesses, political peeps, locals soliciting signatures for some lost cause or other. Last summer i had a woman asking for a bottle of wine for a village fete. !!!!!!? me? part with booze? lololol. oh how i laughed.

Also, ex offenders selling hankies or whatever they sell, and one geezer from some utility or other who i soon sen packing.

Ive got a big dog who goes mental if somebody's at the door so i just ask them if they would like me to let him out if they don't get the message.
  • Ian_Goldby
    Options
    As an Independent Kleeneze Distributor with a large team of distributors myself I would like to add the following to this discussion. Kleeneze is approved by the Office of Fair Trading. They have stated that No Cold Calling areas and signs do not apply as we are not entering selling or buying transactions on the door step. 90% of our customers do indeed have these signs but are happily ordering products on a regular basis so it is confusing for both new distributors and householders alike. As distributors come and go it is not guaranteed that you will not get a catalogue posted through your door by simply telling the distributor as there are no territory restrictions and the next distributor would not know this information. I advise all my distributors to post a catalogue through unless there is a sign on the door that says No Catalogues. Kleeneze distributors pay for their catalogues, are often people working hard to make ends meet and save money rather than relying on benefits and I have 600 customers in my own local area alone that value the free door to door delivery service from an 88yr old British company. Please put a sign requesting No Catalogues on your door if you really don't want any, don't bin them it is hurting hardworking people financially and damaging the environment, we reuse them. If someone ignores a No Catalogues sign then go ahead and recylcle. Thank you everyone :)

I read this with interest. It is pretty much what I thought. Unfortunately, I don't think it is very reasonable for a couple of reasons:

1. Most importantly, by putting a catalogue through my door, the Kleeneze distributor is effectively asking me to help with their marketing effort. It might seem a small thing to you, but I don't want to have to store the catalogue, or try to remember to put it out on the right day. Why should the distributor feel entitled to my help?

2. I should be able to register, once and for all, that I don't want catalogues. It may be that the internal organisation of Kleeneze makes this very difficult, but that is not my problem.

3. Leaving a catalogue outside the door is a security risk because it tells burglars that you are probably not in.

If I get a catalogue for the first time in more than a couple of years, then I usually put it out with a note explaining that I will bin any further catalogues received.

Incidentally, the high turnover of distributors (acknowledged above) tells you something about the way the scheme works. From my perspective, it certainly looks a lot like a multi-level marketing scheme, and it is obvious who the losers are in any such scheme.
  • marywooyeah
    marywooyeah Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pcw12kcox wrote: »
    Avon ignored the sign. When I pointed it out to the rep the response was "Oh - that doesn't apply to us". :mad:

I would have said "yes it effing does love"!

we get a fair amount of charity people, I tell them I already give £30 a month to various charities and can't afford to give anymore, they always seem to politely accept it so it's not so bad.
  • lynneinjapan
    lynneinjapan Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 April 2012 at 10:28PM
    Options
    Jinxed wrote: »
    E-on
    RSPCA
    Virgin Media
    N-Power - on the night N-Power arrived, I'd already had two others at the door so I told them they should leave the area cos its a no cold calling area - AND it was about 9pm!!!!! I wasn't happy.
    I also don't like it when JW's knock on and although they aren't 'selling' something as such...I still don't think they should be allowed to knock on doors.
    We had two blokes (Npower, I think, but not sure) come to the door and when I answered the conversation went something like this:
    Them: Good evening, are you the homeowner?
    Me: Yes, are you literate? [pointing at "no cold callers" sign right in front of them]
    Them: Er, no, that's why we knock doors for a living... [as I shut the door on them]

To be fair I actually get very few cold callers since the sign went up. And under the bit that says "We don't need free advice" I've added in "OR RELIGION!" and we haven't had the Jehovah's Witnesses since then either.

Re catalogues, I agree with the Kleeneze rep who posted. (I'm not a rep myself.) The Avon/Kleeneze/Betterware distributors are individuals who (I believe) pay the company for every catalogue, and each one will get used several times if they can manage to recover it. They don't make a lot of money doing this - hence the high turnover! It's not their fault if they've just taken on a new territory and nobody has told them which addresses don't want catalogues - and anyway, the same people might not be living at those addresses now. If you don't want catalogues then put a note up to tell them so; if they still put one through the door then it's fine to put it in the recycling.
    I don't think leaving the catalogue outside is a security risk - it's just an indication that you've finished with it. If you don't want the rep to knock on the door to collect it then just leave it outside for them. It helps if they supply a poly bag for this purpose though!

We get roughly one mailshot every week or two from Virgin Media, who don't even know our name. We've sent several back to them saying things like "NOT INTERESTED - STOP SENDING US THIS STUFF" but they keep doing it.
  • bethl79
    bethl79 Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    Talk talk are the worst - they call on us at least once every couple of months even though we're already with them. The last time was two days ago, a young girl trying to convince me that my broadband would be faster if I gave them an extra £2 a month. She tried to insist on me fetching my last bill for her to have a look at - erm no somehow I don't think I'll be showing my personal details to a stranger standing on my doorstep.

Another one that sticks out is British red cross - I told the woman that as I already support 2 charities I can't afford to sign up to another one (at this point it was genuine regret too). Her response was to tell me that every person in my street also supported at least a couple of charities but that I was the only mean one who hadn't signed up that day to the red cross. Yeah right if you say so love :rotfl:

My trouble is that I'm such an argumentative soul that I can't seem to stop myself from trying to rile these people - I really need to start just shutting the door on them instead!
  • jayrowe_2
    Options
    i've got two signs one for the cold callers placed under the door knocker and another stating no leaflets above the letter box. Both seem to work quite well as most companies walk on our drive, see the signs and walk away. The few who don't i either read the sign out to them v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y and close the door or tell them straight 'don't know, don't care, not interested' if they persist this works really well. :D

J
  • Film_Fan
    Film_Fan Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2012 at 11:27PM
    Options
    We keep getting junk mail from Virgin Media. Over 6 years ago, a door-to-door sales man tricked my Dad (who'd had a stroke so and sometimes got words confused) into signing a form, claiming it simply proved the salesman actually doing his job to his bosses. In fact, this turned out to be a consent form changing our land line service provider from BT to Virgin Media. Over the next few weeks my Mum received phone calls and letters from Virgin Media 'welcoming their new customer', despite explaining it was unwanted and their repeated reassurances to stop receiving any more contact from them. This continued until I made a polite but firm phone call. Due to Virgin Media, my Dad wouldn't even answer phone calls from me, his carer, calling home. Yet despite being told when he died, they still sent junk mail addressed to my Dad for 2 years. I simply returned the envelopes and wrote on each one in thick black marker how they were incompetent and callous for chasing him, then his grieving family. They simply started sending me junk mail instead because I live at the same address... Any representative for Virgin Media should be ashamed of themselves.
  • bundance
    bundance Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thankfully I live in a second floor flat, with a ground floor shared entrance which is not open except for mornings to let trades/postmen in.
    We have an intercom system for visitors, so you always know who is coming up the stairs.
    Two years ago, on Goood Friday, my doorbell rang and some bloke said "Can you let us in the buiding to check the electric/wires? (cant remember exactly what)
    I never let them in, but some other neighbour did, and low and behold, they knocked on my door. Needless to say, I didn't let hem in.
    After they went back downstairs I looked out the window and saw two smartly dressed men, walking down the path to enter the next block of flats to me.
    After speaking to my neighbour, I found out they were from talk talk.
    Very unprofessional for such a big company like talktalk

I think the 21st century is becoming more and more like a bullying culture, because that's all what door to door intrusions are.
    An unwelcome guest, trying to manipulate us for their own ends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure