We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spill the beans...on which firms ignore your 'no cold callers sign'

Options

Comments

• Utility Companies. Had one yesterday telling me they were entitled to ring up during some renewal period. What?. Then she tried to say that she was a Utility Consultany! Yep. You cannot beat my deal as I am so clever!

Cut her off with a terse 'You're selling' goodbye'.

Also in Sainsbug the other day, bombarded in the aisles for their Electricicty and gas.

Please stop it, I am not interested. Utility companies stop now, I do not need your offers etc to sign up for lock down deals.

Also mormons, love up. Always end up with a good chat with them, expecially if they are good looking and ...
    I hvae nt snept th lst fw mntes writg ths post fr yu t cme alng hre nd agre wth m!

Cheers! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • Cabinlassie
    Options
    Without exception all the political parties ignore the no cold callers sign. Maybe, technically, they are not selling anything, but they are still a cold caller. They also ignore the sign we have asking that no unsolicited mail, leaflets, etc are left!
  • N.I.M
    N.I.M Posts: 2,248 Forumite
    Options
    Some solar panel company, told them to jog. Mind you they did ask if my parents were home. I'm 25 with a mortgage!!!!

Got a shouted "were not selling anything as I shut the door on them, only came to the door as I saw them going to next door and they looked shift as. My neighbour is a retired teacher who lives on her own and I didnt fancy the lads dropping in on her to help themselves so to speak.
    This was 6 months out of date so I've changed it.
    :j:j:j:j
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Avon. They repeatedly push catalogues through despite me telling them I do not want them and my sign reflects that (it also says no catalogues). The last time they did it I threw the book straight back out of the door into the driving rain (it had no plastic cover) while the woman was still at the end of the drive. She didn't return to collect it.

3 days later she knocked on the door as between then it had gone missing (I'm guessing the wind took it?). Told her it was out from the day she delivered it, I didn't want it and please stop delivering it. Hopefully now she's failed to get the book back they wont come again. Next time its going straight in the bin.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    we had a tory mp pop round the other day banging on about some election i told him i wasnt interested so the cheeky beggar posted 6 leaflets through my door
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • bailey70
    bailey70 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Avon. They repeatedly push catalogues through despite me telling them I do not want them and my sign reflects that (it also says no catalogues). The last time they did it I threw the book straight back out of the door into the driving rain (it had no plastic cover) while the woman was still at the end of the drive. She didn't return to collect it.

3 days later she knocked on the door as between then it had gone missing (I'm guessing the wind took it?). Told her it was out from the day she delivered it, I didn't want it and please stop delivering it. Hopefully now she's failed to get the book back they wont come again. Next time its going straight in the bin.

Is there a legal position with people who insist on posting you catalogues and insisting you leave them to collect in n days?

Betaware and Avon regularly leave them for me and don't seem to understand that I'm not interested so more recently I've worked on the assumption that if something is posted onto my property unsolicited then it becomes mine to do what I want with... and it goes straight into the recycling bin :D
  • pulliptears
    Options
    bailey70 wrote: »
    Is there a legal position with people who insist on posting you catalogues and insisting you leave them to collect in n days?

Betaware and Avon regularly leave them for me and don't seem to understand that I'm not interested so more recently I've worked on the assumption that if something is posted onto my property unsolicited then it becomes mine to do what I want with... and it goes straight into the recycling bin :D

I assume you are legally obliged to dispose of them as they are unsolicited? Be interested to know exactly if thats right myself.
    I dont have problems with betterware and Kleeneze round here, they seem to abide by the sign. I don't get the local free papers either.
    I do get armfuls of charity bags pushed through but after initial annoyance I realised they fit the kitchen bin nicely ;)
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I assume you are legally obliged to dispose of them as they are unsolicited? Be interested to know exactly if thats right myself.

An interesting point.

If someone sends or delivers something to you accidentally then they are entitled to collect it within (IIRC) six months, at your convenience.

But if you have a sign that explicitly states that any unsolicited material will be disposed of, I would imagine you are in the clear as they will have deliberately presented you with whatever it is knowing that you intend to dispose of it.

The interesting case is where you simply say "No unsolicited catalogues". Whilst it's never likely to come to court I'd be interested to know the legal technicalities in that case.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • pulliptears
    Options
    Azari wrote: »

The interesting case is where you simply say "No unsolicited catalogues". Whilst it's never likely to come to court I'd be interested to know the legal technicalities in that case.

And would it really be worth taking anyone to court for an Avon book that costs pence to create and is only relevant for 4 weeks?

I'll bin the next one and let you know ;) I'm trusting you can bake cakes with hidden files just incase :D
  • nicklow
    Options
    Sky tv. My road is in an official no cold callers zone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport