Las Vegas thread and MSE guide 2010

Options

Comments

• credit_crunch
    credit_crunch Posts: 1,421 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    October , November
    anyone recommend some restaurants on restaurant.com. we like indian, chinese, and just normal american food, oh and mexican.

ive got a top of the world restaurant.com voucher, and have just looked at the games works - looks fine but any reports from anyone on here? looks like pretty normal food to me!!

thanks x
  • georgecostanza_2
    Options
    October , November
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    Me too - since they group the cars by class on the lot. I don't normally try to tip for an upgrade because I usually rent what I want. But once all they had left in mid-size were PT Cruisers and when my face fell, the guy pointed me to something much nicer (cannot remember what) and said 'aw, you can take that instead' so I tipped him. :)

What about picking up a car from a hotel ? I have booked to pick up a car from Dollar at TI , obviously choice will be limited compared to the airport but by how much ? BTW have booked a convertible :)
  • spalding
    spalding Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    October , November
    anyone recommend some restaurants on restaurant.com. we like indian, chinese, and just normal american food, oh and mexican.

ive got a top of the world restaurant.com voucher, and have just looked at the games works - looks fine but any reports from anyone on here? looks like pretty normal food to me!!

thanks x

Really enjoyed house of blues last time I was out there
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    April
    What about picking up a car from a hotel ? I have booked to pick up a car from Dollar at TI , obviously choice will be limited compared to the airport but by how much ? BTW have booked a convertible :)

The two times I've picked up at Vegas hotels we've been given keys for a specific car in the office and told which space it was in - we didn't have any choice...though as I mentioned recently we were once assigned a Pacifica (an upgrade, but waaaay too big for me to be comfortable driving) and I asked if there was anything else and she found something. But in general you don't get to choose I don't think.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    April

Will you have a car? Many of them are off strip.

Ones we have liked:

Austin's Steakhouse - Texas Station...several times

Sonoma Cellar - Sunset Station (same menu as Austin's, we prefer Austin's slightly)

Origin India - near Hard Rock...we really, really loved this one

ENVY Steakhouse - near convention centre monorail station...my mother in law still says it's the best steak she's ever had.

Original Pancake House - Green Valley Ranch and other locations...mmmm pancakes.

Triple George Grill - downtown...tried it for the first time last trip and loved it. Will be back without question.

Raffles Cafe - at Mandalay Bay...decent food, nothing spectacular - one of those places that if it were full price you might be a bit annoyed but with a discount it's pretty decent.

Fresh Grill and Bar (previously Tacone) - Miracle Mile Shops, haven't been there since they changed (was totally confused about how I'd bought a voucher for something I had never heard of before) - looks like a larger menu than previously too

Ben & Jerry's - Miracle Mile too

Ali Baba Lebanese - my husband's mixed grill sort of thing was great...my chicken shawarma was not so great.

Stripburger - naturally...we've decided we're going to pay full price (I KNOW!) for a $25 voucher if we can get any at the beginning of the month.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • wdyw
    wdyw Posts: 962 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2010 at 10:55PM
    Options

The cars in TI are parked in the public self park area so it's completely different to the dollar stand at the airport where keys are elft in and you get to choose from whatever cars are in for your class or if non available in that class choose from whatever they think best.

So at TI cars are locked and you get keys and location at the stand. Convertible?, yeah we made that mistake once also. (I see you are going in October rather than in the next few weeks, so a convertible should be ok)
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    May
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    Stripburger - naturally...we've decided we're going to pay full price (I KNOW!) for a $25 voucher if we can get any at the beginning of the month.

No need to pay full price. The promo code at the beginning of the month is normally for 50% off so $6.25 for a $25 certificate. If you can get one.
  • George06
    George06 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, have finally agreed 26th Nov for 4 nights.:j:j

My travel companions refuse to fly indirect (why, I do not know!!) so direct it is.

Currently £578 for Virgin and £590 for BA.

Virgin times suit me better as I have to travel to/from the North.

Don't know whether to book or hold out and see if they drop.

Anybody got anything cheaper with either of them recently by waiting until nearer the time??

Can see myself getting addicted to being on here the nearer it gets, it'l be 3 years since last went and need a fix!!

Thanks
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 July 2010 at 7:50AM
    Options
    September
    George06 wrote: »
    So, have finally agreed 26th Nov for 4 nights.:j:j

My travel companions refuse to fly indirect (why, I do not know!!) so direct it is.

Currently £578 for Virgin and £590 for BA.

Virgin times suit me better as I have to travel to/from the North.

Don't know whether to book or hold out and see if they drop.

Anybody got anything cheaper with either of them recently by waiting until nearer the time??

Can see myself getting addicted to being on here the nearer it gets, it'l be 3 years since last went and need a fix!!

Thanks
    What do you mean by the times on VS suit you better? . The VS flight leaves earlier in the day so you would probably have to stay overnight if traveling from the North (and by all accounts is constantly a couple hours late leaving). LHR is much nearer to you as well, it takes over an hour to get to LGW from LHR. T5 at Heathrow is much nicer than the dump that is T2 Gatwick. Oh, and the 777 that BA use is far newer and more comfortable than the buckets that SRB makes you fly in.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    September
    photome wrote: »
    DOLLAR EXPRESS

I emailed dollar express to see if I could add my wifes drivers license to my membership. I told them I had already hired the car from a 3rd party in the UK. Their reply was that I cannot use dollar express on a "tour" booking.

This is after they had intialy replied that I could use it on a 3rd party booking, I had this reply today

I apologize for the misinformation that I provided on the original email. You
    will not be able to have the Dollar Express pickup. This is because it I a pre
    paid tour reservation. We are not able to modify tour reservations. I again
    apologize for any inconvenience due to this misinformation.

??
    I don't know what they mean by you can't use it. It's only use is to skip the long queue at the main check-in and go right to the desk where the cars are. When you get there just show them your card, done it several times and always book third party.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure