50p a day til christmas, healthily?!-Weezl's next challenge (part 2)

Comments

• nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Well... so far from the soups that I had hoped to make today, I have made ...

Manhatten Chowder.....39p per portion - this was a WW recipe. Very tasty

Chickpea and Garlic... 32p per portion - I used tinned chickpeas, so the cost would probably be less next time I make it with dried ones ;)

Off to do some more :D
  • nopot2pin
    My Pastryless quiche is an assortment of veg and onion fryed in spray oil until almost done seasoned (depends on the filling todays is italian seasoning if i do smoked salmon i add dill ) the fried veg goes into a ovenproof dish . In a bowl beat 4 eggs and a tubfull of smartpice cottage cheese together season with salt and pepper then pour this over the veg put some sliced tomato on top for decotation and bake until set and golden

if i have this on a green day (sw) with some potatoes in fat free fromage frais its "free " equally nice hot and cold

Enjoy

shaz

That sound quite good.. might have to try that soon.
    Thanks
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    nopot2pin wrote: »
    Chickpea and Garlic... 32p per portion - I used tinned chickpeas, so the cost would probably be less next time I make it with dried ones ;)

Off to do some more :D

Can you share the recipe for Chickpea & Garlic please? It sounds very yummy & I'm so bored of doing 'bottom of the fridge' veg soups :eek: TIA
  • nopot2pin
    edited 7 June 2009 at 10:19PM
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    Can you share the recipe for Chickpea & Garlic please? It sounds very yummy & I'm so bored of doing 'bottom of the fridge' veg soups :eek: TIA

No probs :D

Its actually from a book of soup recipes, by Orla Broderick, therefore not mine to be proud of iykwim :o

Chickpea and Garlic Soup

4tbsp olive oil - I only used about a tsp of oil as I felt this would be way too much - 1p
    1 large onion, finely chopped 8p
    2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped 8p
    1 heaped tsp ground cumin 5p
    2 x 400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed 80p
    900ml of veg or chicken stock 18p
    4 tbsp of chopped coriander 4p
    A few drops of Tabasco - in the cupboard since ... well since :D
    Juice of half a lemon 4p
    1.28 4 portions... 32p each

Heat oil, and add the onion and garlic.
    Cook for about 5 mins, until soft but not brown.
    Stir in cumin, and cook for about a minute.
    Add chickpeas and stock, and bring to the boil.
    Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins, or until flavours are well combined.
    Blend half the soup, with the coriander to a puree.
    Return to the pan, and add Tabasco and lemon juice.

I guess you could add more Tabasco if you wanted it spicier.
    I didn't have any coriander, fresh or dried in the house.. but had some coriander seeds. So I bashed the life out of a teaspoon of those, with the mortar and pesal.
    This make 4 good size portions.
    And I think I read on this thread, about the dried chickpeas being much cheaper than the tinned ones... so I will be trying that next time, to bring the cost down.
    :D
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ISOM

Re your earlier comment...I can get my tiara on now then...the film "In Transition" (about the Transition Town Movement) has had its technical problems sorted out and will be shown online for people to watch for free throughout Friday, 12 June, and Saturday, 13 June. So I'll give a link to Rob Hopkins' post on his blog about it and the link to the film is on there and will be "active" on those 2 days.

http://transitionculture.org/2009/06/08/your-chance-to-see-in-transition-the-emerging-plans-for-its-release-as-well-as-an-appeal-for-help-in-finishing-it/

Sorree for the long link - I'll just have to learn how to do them "professionally" at this rate....:o
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    do you mean like this ceridwen?

transition culture

;)

PS. here's how highlight and copy the full URL of your link, then in your MSE message highlight the word or phrase you want to become the linkie and click the icon above the box that's a world with a link in front createlink.gif that looks like that! and then when a little box appears asking for the url, just paste the link in it.

Hope that makes sense?! :D

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • SunnyGirl
    Nopot Thank you so much for posting the recipe I shall be trying that in the next week or so for DH & myself. The kids won't touch it as it has the definitely poisonous chick peas in :eek: :rotfl: It sounds so easy & tasty.

Morning all,

I'm generally cleaning & tidying today, the only cooking I have is to make a cheese & onion flan/quiche affair & some wedges for tea. It's a favourite round here and cheap to make even with using frozen puff pastry. I'll cost it out later with the recipe if anyone wants?

Hope all is well with you all & that the weekend was a good one :D
  • SunnyGirl
    edited 9 June 2009 at 12:49PM
    I've costed out the cheese flan just for my own benefit really but thought I'd post it any way.

1/2 a double pack Jus Rol puff pastry 83p
    250g Cheese 99p
    2 Onions 10p
    2 Eggs 24p
    Pinch mixed herbs 1p ?
    Salt & Pepper 2p ?

I make it in a large oven tray (the size of the oven shelves) as it has to feed a lot of us. I grease the tray and roll out 1/2 of a double pack of puff pastry thinly to fit the tray. Then score through, but don't cut, around the edges of the pastry on the tray - about 2cms in. Grate the cheese, chop the onions and mix them together in a big bowl. Beat the eggs with salt, pepper & herbs and pour the egg mixture on the cheese mixture and stir to combine everything. Then simply pour it all onto the pastry base and smooth with a spoon so that it just reaches the edges that you've scored. Bake it at Gas 5 for about 20 minutes until the pastry edges have puffed up & the cheese mixture is bubbled & golden.

It may look like a faff but it's so easy and very tasty. Another thing you can do is make individual tarts in exactly the same way but just roll enough pastry (1/6th of the pack probably) for however many you want to make then do the same scoring etc. It can be as expensive or as cheap as you want. I've made it before with roasted vegetables, olives & feta cheese which doesn't make it a cheap family filler any more :eek: :D

Total per flan £2.19 It feeds the 6 of us for our evening meal with 2 portions left for later so 8 servings in all = 27p per serving :T

I like to serve it with homemade wedges and baked beans - yummy!
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hey Sunnygirl, that's a good one!

I might even try this myself, I've never made a quiche or flan before!

Do you just grate the cheese, add it to the beaten eggs and everything else and then pop it in the pastry case. Do you cook the pastry first and then add the mixture or cook it all at the same time.

Thanks
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • SunnyGirl
    edited 8 June 2009 at 10:40AM
    Hi Fedup,

Sorry I should have made it clearer :o I make it in a large oven tray (the size of the oven shelves) as it has to feed a lot of us. I grease the tray and roll out 1/2 of a double pack of puff pastry thinly to fit the tray. Then score through, but don't cut, around the edges of the pastry on the tray - about 2cms in. Grate the cheese, chop the onions and mix them together in a big bowl. Beat the eggs with salt, pepper & herbs and pour the egg mixture on the cheese mixture and stir to combine everything. Then simply pour it all onto the pastry base and smooth with a spoon so that it just reaches the edges that you've scored. Bake it at Gas 5 for about 20 minutes until the pastry edges have puffed up & the cheese mixture is bubbled & golden.

It may look like a faff but it's so easy and very tasty. Another thing you can do is make individual tarts in exactly the same way but just roll enough pastry (1/6th of the pack probably) for however many you want to make then do the same scoring etc. It can be as expensive or as cheap as you want. I've made it before with roasted vegetables, olives & feta cheese which doesn't make it a cheap family filler any more :eek: :rotfl: Wouldn't be bad for one or two people though. HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure