PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    houmous master eh? There's an accolade ;). I've made a dip with both, but I used wine vinegar rather than lemon juice with the garlic oil and beans. Don't see why it wouldn't be yummy with lemon juice though! If you've got any rosemary growing nearby, try whizzing that with garlic, oil and butter beans. Nomnomnom. :D

Cool thanks... toddles off to check what that bottle of "something vinegar" is hidden in the cupboard behind the apple cider vinegar ;)

No rosemary though, other than dried, although I do now have rocket sprouting in a pot on my kitchen window ledge (and hopefully spinach hiding in the other pot) :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    evening all,

new recipe for you all, i was reading thro an old good food mag and came across a pea and bacon chowder.

now i only had frozen green beans so i have improvised a little

1 onion (5p?)
    massive double handful green beans/peas (10p but home grown would of course be free)
    chicken stock (hm so 2-3p?)
    oil (1 tsp 2p?)
    3 rashers bacon (3 rashers from a 30 rasher pack that cost £5, so 50p)

grill bacon. add tsp oil to pan, chop onion and add to pan, fry off for a min or two, add beans/peas, add stock, cook til veg is tender and blitz up til not too many big lumps, i left a few as i like some lumps in my soup.
    serve the soup in bowls/mugs/however you like, with the broken up bacon sprinkled on top

tastes yummy and was ultra filling.

Weezl - does my math look right?

:T:T:T super thrifty :money::money: look even two spinning Martins!

How many portions did it do?

Weezl x

p.s newlywed, what about rocket pesto, that's lovely! I'll hunt for a recipe...

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    :o:D:o it's done two very generous portions, and if i'd made it with a little more stock could have gotten three.

it tasted scrummy and i reckon if you added potato it could even stretch to 4 portions if served with some hm bread :p
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anyone still hunting for nettles? I have just taken an allotment and it is at least 5' high in nettles - feel free to come and collect some! :rotfl:
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Yategirl wrote: »
    anyone still hunting for nettles? I have just taken an allotment and it is at least 5' high in nettles - feel free to come and collect some! :rotfl:

I was reading somewhere the other day you shouldn't eat nettles after june due to high levels of ?????????????????? oxalic acid i think and they are then poisonous can anyone confirm/deny before i go foraging

And is it just the tips we eat not the flowers or woody stems?

Thanks for the help

Shaz
    Shaz
  • weezl74
    Options
    I was reading somewhere the other day you shouldn't eat nettles after june due to high levels of ?????????????????? oxalic acid i think and they are then poisonous can anyone confirm/deny before i go foraging

And is it just the tips we eat not the flowers or woody stems?

Thanks for the help

Shaz

hi shaz, couldn't find anything saying a specific month, but found this here

'don’t eat the leaves if the nettles have flowered or gone to seed. After that point, they develop bits of calcium carbonate which may cause urinary-tract irritation.'

some places have an annual nettle eating festival, like Bridport, which isn't til june 21st, and since the inhabitants have lived to have the festival more than once, I think you're safe! ;)

Happy foraging!

Yategirl hiya! congrats on the allotment! :T:T:T Post your plans for it?

Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    p.s newlywed, what about rocket pesto, that's lovely! I'll hunt for a recipe...

That sounds good (but the rocket is only really tiny sprouts at the moment but would be a good one to keep for later when it grows properly). The other bottle of vinegar was balsamic - I'm thinking that won't work so will go with the lemon juice :D Just need to start soaking the butterbeans tonight and then cook em up tomorrow in the slow cooker ;)

For another cheap recipe we had stuffed peppers last night:-

Peppers are on offer in MrT at 35p but orange ones went through at 18 p each yesterday!! Cooked up 100g of pearl barley in some stock (pearl barley has been lurking in cupboard for months) Cooked 4 chopped mushrooms and half a chopped onion, mix in one medium chopped tomato, a small amount of frozen sweetcorn and a bit of cheese cubed. Sprinkle of curry powder. add cooked pearl barley and mix up.

Bung into peppers (this is enough filling to do 4 peppers) - bung peppers in slow cooker with a small amount of water in the bottom (I did it for 8 hours on low)

With one pepper each and one chicken breast - we were stuffed!!! :p
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • weezl74
    Options
    you were stuffed, the peppers were stuffed.... the chicken hadn't had his luckiest day ever...;)

I've indexed your nomnomnom recipe newlywed, under evening meals and light suppers...

• hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    It has just taken me four days to read this thread (in stages) and I became the 66th person to thank the first post.

Wow!

I am humbled, and a bit ashamed at my grocery spend. OH is not as adventurous as Mr Weezl and I am not as good a cook as Mrs Weezl, but I am now looking at my grocery bills with a very calculating eye.

Thank you for such an amazing thread.
    Always another chapter

• BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions re:popcorn:p

That stuffed pepper recipe reminded me of one that one of the offspring & I concocted.

Allow one pepper per person, dependant on the size of course.

Slice pepper lengthwise from stem to point & scoop out the seeds [can be kept for growing more;) ]
    In a fry pan, heat a little oil & add:
    finely diced onion & bacon
    garlic
    mushrooms........& cook till soft.

Put spoonfuls of the veggies into the pepper halves, cover in a basic white sauce & sprinkle on grated cheese.
    Brown under a hot grill & serve with rice, couscous or pasta.

Guess you can add whatever veg combo you fancy & ring the changes with a tomato sauce, maybe add in some pine nuts etc?
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family