PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi shaz

I don't know if this is of any use..but if so its spooky... i came across my bero cook book yesterday and found a similar recipe and had never seen or heard of it before :confused:

RICH JAM CAKES
    preheat oven to 180c/350f/gas4
    grease a baking sheet
    1. 225g SR flour
    2. pinch salt
    3. 50g lard
    4. 50g margerine
    5. 50g caster sugar
    6. 1 medium egg-beaten
    7. 3tbs milk-if required
    8. jam -lemoncurd
    9. caster sugar
    • mix flour and salt
    • rub in the fats and then stir in the sugar
    • mix to a stiff dough with the beaten egg and a little milk if needed
    • divide dough in half
    • and roll both out into even sized rectangles
    • place 1 piece on the baking sheet
    • spread with jam/lemoncurd
    • place other piece on top and pinch the edges together
    • bake for 15-20 mins until golden
    • when cooled -cut into squares or triangles and sprinkle with sugar
    PlumPie..going to copy and save that recipe it sounds lovely..thankyou :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi shaz

I don't know if this is of any use..but if so its spooky... i came across my bero cook book yesterday and found a similar recipe and had never seen or heard of it before :confused:

RICH JAM CAKES
    preheat oven to 180c/350f/gas4
    grease a baking sheet
    1. 225g SR flour
    2. pinch salt
    3. 50g lard
    4. 50g margerine
    5. 50g caster sugar
    6. 1 medium egg-beaten
    7. 3tbs milk-if required
    8. jam -lemoncurd
    9. caster sugar
    • mix flour and salt
    • rub in the fats and then stir in the sugar
    • mix to a stiff dough with the beaten egg and a little milk if needed
    • divide dough in half
    • and roll both out into even sized rectangles
    • place 1 piece on the baking sheet
    • spread with jam/lemoncurd
    • place other piece on top and pinch the edges together
    • bake for 15-20 mins until golden
    • when cooled -cut into squares or triangles and sprinkle with sugar

Thanks Mrs Mc not sure thats the exact recipe but really spooky not sure it wasnt lemon love cake though but will try this one still trying to use up the disastrous runny apricot jam with lumps in

Shaz
    Shaz
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, just a quick question for the hummous-master Weezl or anyone else who can help - can you make hummous type dip with butterbeans? Anyone tried it at all? :D

Got butterbeans and kidney beans but no chickpeas ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    houmous master eh? There's an accolade ;). I've made a dip with both, but I used wine vinegar rather than lemon juice with the garlic oil and beans. Don't see why it wouldn't be yummy with lemon juice though! If you've got any rosemary growing nearby, try whizzing that with garlic, oil and butter beans. Nomnomnom. :D

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    This snax challenge....I bought some popcorn in MrM this afternoon to nibble on walking around the shops when :idea:

It's cheap & easy to make, but I have no idea how to prepare the various flavourings you can use..ok salt is easy, but what about caramel, sweet, etc....

Any recipes for those folks?
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On my blog - 24 May post - I give a recipe for maple syrup substitute.

Just go to my homepage and, once on my blog, click the label "food" in the right-hand column and then scroll down to my 24 May post.:D
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weezl (and the other regular posters) - thank you for this thread (and the very helpful index). Read it from the start and going away with lots of ideas. Similar problem to you in that the mortgage goes up £350 a month shortly so perfect timing to read this.

Popcorn - my mother always made caramel sauce for ours. Pretty straight forward, six spoons of suagr to one of water in a heavy based pan. Heat gently till the sugar is dissolved, then boil until it starts to change colour and pour over your popcorn. Pale yellow makes stretchy toffee, a little browner makes hard caramel. leave it to cool. Tasty and fairly cheap either way.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well...just been having a bit of a browse around again - prompted by the fact that I have a grapevine (which never turns out any flippin' grapes - but I keep it for the leaves) and a blackberry (ditto). Well - one eats stuffed grapevine leaves (dolmades) in Greece and I thought I'd read somewhere that blackberry leaves are edible too. Inspired by that I found:

http://organicallycooked.blogspot.com/2008/03/dolmades-leaves-stuffed-with-rice_09.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/edible/msg0105353115730.html

Right...now must have another go at washing off those melon seeds I saved to investigate for edible type reasons.:D
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    great links as ever ceridwen:T guess you've lots of ideas now for your guerilla gardening?! What a lot of edible leaves there are!

amalang, :beer: thanks for saying you'll find the recipe for the tom and pesto tart. Can we have the recipe for 'Salmoreja' too please (then I can index you twice, for extra happiness!;))

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    evening all,

new recipe for you all, i was reading thro an old good food mag and came across a pea and bacon chowder.

now i only had frozen green beans so i have improvised a little

1 onion (5p?)
    massive double handful green beans/peas (10p but home grown would of course be free)
    chicken stock (hm so 2-3p?)
    oil (1 tsp 2p?)
    3 rashers bacon (3 rashers from a 30 rasher pack that cost £5, so 50p)

grill bacon. add tsp oil to pan, chop onion and add to pan, fry off for a min or two, add beans/peas, add stock, cook til veg is tender and blitz up til not too many big lumps, i left a few as i like some lumps in my soup.
    serve the soup in bowls/mugs/however you like, with the broken up bacon sprinkled on top

tastes yummy and was ultra filling.

Weezl - does my math look right?
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure