PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• Amalang
    Amalang Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Evening All - Another weekend has flown by....hope you all had a good few days.

Weezl - what about a tomato and pesto tart?
    Love,
    Amalang X
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Amalang in true us vs OS style - do you have a recipe for it lol!!
    Have just tasted rasp vodka (well I am on hol!!) and its yummy - even after a few days!! The rest definatey wont make it to Christmas lol!! Its a bt like alcholic rasp cordial would be!! deeelicious! What be the costings weezl - I bottle cheapie vodka, two punnetts rasp and approx 4 tbls sugar...plus £1 for Ikea bottle...
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    ISOM how many bottles do you get for that amount of vodka etc?
    :D

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • weezl74
    Options
    Amalang wrote: »
    Evening All - Another weekend has flown by....hope you all had a good few days.

Weezl - what about a tomato and pesto tart?
    Love,
    Amalang X

Hi Amalang, that sounds lovely, do you have a recipe? I'll add yours to the tomato glut part of the index if you post it!? ;)

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • weezl74
    Options
    just a bit more indexing! Don't mind me!;)

What to do with a glut of tomatoes, a challenge!

Mrs Macawber's passata

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Morning! Re the vodka ...its yummy but I would recc small amounts as I have a hangover!! Re quantities I got http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?Product=835&Store=1
    This vodka (7.57 for 700ml) and 2 punnets of rasp for £4. I will have to top the vodka up and actually used 2 Ikea £1 bottles (just to be accurate for costings!!). Have realised that I can use wine bottles with screw tops (doh!!) so will save them up!
    Did you make the elderfower cordial W?
    Re the curry recipe is as follows;
    200 g of moon dall (I got mine from indian supermarket)
    2 tsp turmeric
    2 tsp coriander
    1 tsp chilli
    1 chopped onion
    2 tbsl sunflower oil
    1 400g can tomatoes
    1/2 pack of prawns (which were (1.74 the whole pack) - you could substitute this for chicken, quorn or veg as desired!

Chop the onion & heat oil then gently fry onio. Add the spices & mix. Turn heat off. In saucepan cover the moong dal with water & bring to the boil. Simmer for 1/2 hour and then drain & rinse. Heat the onions and add the prawns and fry until cooked. Then add the tomatoe and moong dall and simmer for 20 mins. I also made chapattis and have to say I am really impressed by Indian womens ability to multi-task & cook!! It was worth it though and actually quite simple to make. 200g of chapatti flour and mix in enough water to make a dough. refrigerate for half hour and then make small balls of the dough and roll into chapatti shapes. Put little oil in frying pan & gently cook each side. Mine made about 8 - not the 4 the recipe stated!! You can freeze them too! All in all I was dead chuffed - they looked like chapattis and I felt very authentic. Alas the kitchen is a right mess but ho hum!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• boredofbeingathome
    Options
    All sounds great, is it bad to think of alcohol at this time of the day? I will be plotting about it all the time now...i wonder if my attempts will make it to Christmas as well?mmmmmmmmmm
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Amalang
    Amalang Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I do have the recipe for Tomato and Pesto Tart and will post it here a little bit later, if that is OK with you all. It is yummy!

(Weezl - you have made my Monday by saying that it will be added to the index!) :T

I was also thinking that with all your tomatoes another alternative that you could make, is a cold Tomato soup from Spain called 'Salmoreja'. The recipe that I have requires tomatoes, garlic, a few slices of bread, olive oil and seasoning, so very O.S.! But I do appreciate that cold soup is not to everyones taste, especially if we have cold weather like today!

Will post the recipe later for the tart.
    Happy Monday's People,
    Amalang X
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    I mentioned these last week and a few people thanked me when I said I'd have a go and post the results afterwards. So here you are (you regret it now don't you...!):

Old Fashioned Raspberry Bars (A tasty traybake from across the pond!)

INGREDIENTS
    80g
    + 10g Light brown sugar (I didn't have any and used 50/50 soft dark brown and white caster sugar instead)
    125 g plain flour (I used economy as I'm not a bread baker)
    1 g baking soda
    80 g rolled oats
    115 g butter, softened
    250 g raspberry jam (I just spread a generous layer!)
    30g dessicated coconut
    METHOD

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 175 degrees C/ Gas mark 5.

Grease one 8 inch square, 1 inch deep baking tin.

Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda and rolled oats.

Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture.

Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the baking tray. (I didn’t measure and used about 3/4 of the mixture - this was too much! I think 2/3 would be best.)

Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge.

Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned. (It really does need this long!)

Allow to cool before cutting into bars. (Very important as the jam has to set firm!)

Rises to thickness of 3/4". Makes 16 1" square cakes or 8 2"x1" square bars.

The recipe is quick and easy and would be good to make with older children (i.e. big enough hands to do the rubbing in).

I decided to alter the original recipe a bit (I cannot stick to one exactly EVER!!!) and as I used too much mixture for the first layer, I added some dried coconut and a bit more sugar to the mixture leftover to go on top of the traybake. If Weezl wants to do a costing of my version, I paid 28p for a 250g bag coconut in Mr T so I reckon that's 3 pence for 30g?

The result was a soft cakey-flapjacky bottom layer, slightly stretchy jam and a delicious crispy topping. They are filling and rich. I think this will be something I'll make occasionally, just so as not to get bored with my old faves. I think you could have fun using different kinds of jam and adding spices - plum jam and cinnamon occurred to me. It did make me think more about trying layered flapjacks e.g. using apple or chocolate instead of jam or adding nuts to half the batter and using that to top the flapjack.

Someone mentioned maybe making them for a school fete - I found the oats/jam combo very…different… to most British cakes. Also they fray slightly at the edges so I'm not sure they'd travel well.

HTH.
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks plum pie

I have been looking for a recipe i dont know what its called its almost 2 layers of shortbread with lemon curd in the middle i think it was a school dinners pud

can anyone help?

TIA Shaz
    Shaz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills