PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well Shaz - I wouldnt have thought of using a sweet tin for baking in - one learns summat everyday (I thought I was being virtuous using the lid as a baking tray - but the thought hadnt occurred to me to use the rest for similar purpose).

Germish - See what you mean about Swedish food not being that veggie-friendly. National cuisines do vary in that respect. Thanks for the offer of those savoury recipes - but I think I might prefer (and perhaps you could share with us) the recipes for rice porridge (I have been known - frequently - to have my version of rice pudding for breakfast - but not sure it would be like that!). One or two fruit soup recipes might be nice as well purlease!:D

Right - will be going off shortly to do finishing stages of korma recipe and see whats what.
  • germish_se
    germish_se Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Ceridwen,
    Rice porridge and fruit soup recipes coming up as soon as I can.........they need translating and adapting to what can be bought here.

Hadn't even thought of those, we do lots of fruit flans too, I love blueberry flan, yummy. :j
  • germish_se
    Options
    Swedish Rice Porridge

4 servings

150 ml Rice (use pudding, longgrain or risotto rice)
    300ml Water
    1/2-1 tsp Salt
    1 Cinnamon stick
    700-800 ml Milk
    1-2 tbsp Sugar

Put rice, water cinnamon and salt in a saucepan with a thick base.
    Boil for 10 min under lid.
    Add the milk and stir, bring to the boil then turn the heat to the lowest setting and leave to swell under lid abot 40 min without stirring.
    Add sugar when its done.
    If you are cooking it for later you can add the milk bring it back to the boil then take it off the heat and put on a wooden chopping board and leave over night, the next day you heat it up and add extra milk if needed.
    Serve with cinnamon and sugar (or jam) and milk
    Freezes well.

As for the fruit soups there are a few different ones and they are all slightly different so choose what you want it made from – Apples, Rosehip or cordial(squash)
    There is also a thicker version, more like compote which is served with milk or cream, that can be made from rhubarb, apple, strawberry, gooseberry or dried fruits.
    Let me know which ones apeal the most and I will post them for you.:o

I finally got my thumb out and enrolled on a college course for September!!speechless-smiley-040.gif
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that germish. Both the apple and rosehip fruit soups sound promising. All the thicker compote-type ones you mention also sound possible. So - any of those recipes would be nice.

Do you just have the soup or compote on its own after the main course - or is there some sort of sweet "biscuit" or something with it?

The rice porridge sounds a distinct possibility for breakfast for me - with the sugar element changed to a mild-tasting honey. Am wondering whether I could do the longer part of the "cooking" process in a slowcooker overnight - whaddya think?:D
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So - I'm sitting here eating it - thinking that, to me, I think I will modify a bit. I have used carrot, leeks and mushrooms in the event as the vegetables and yogurt only (not cream - because I couldnt get organic single cream) for that. I ended up throwing a can of tomatoes in with the veg (thats for half quantity level amount - ie enough for 2) and then subsequently deciding that maybe half a can of tomatoes would have done the trick. The veggie mixture felt dryer than I like without adding a little something extra - hence the canned tomatoes (you name it - I will probably throw some canned tomatoes in it). The cardamom pods - hmmm....I think possibly they are more "gourmet chef" territory than "chez ceridwen" territory - so I reckon I could use cardamom again - but will look beyond Sainsbury's limited selection (ie the pods only) and get the "powder" type in future.

Oh well...all part of a learning experience...;) :D
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Afternoon all

Just thought i'd pop by as i have just had my first attempt at making baguettes.... a bit more faff than a basic white loaf but they look and feel lovely -well a bit more practice on the shaping needed :D ... i think that it would easily make 6-8 smaller ones ..the ones i have done -each one is suposed to serve 3
    • 500g bread flour
    • 115g plain flour
    • 2tsp salt
    • 15 fresh yeast and
    • 550ml warm water
    let me know if anyone woud like the method and i will post it ;)

baguetteav3.th.jpg

yes please to the method for those beauties Mrs M!

Shaz, again what lovely pics, you make us hungry just looking at them. I fear one 'acetate monkey' may be beating a path to your door! Whatcha doin at college?

ceridwen I totally agree about the faff of cardamoms! If I ever share how I learnt Indian cookery.... oooh some stories there! Did you see I posted on your blog?

Germish, That's an inspiring porridge idea, Mr Weezl is getting a bit fed up of marmalade on toast at the mo!

Anyone want the nutritional profile of the swedish pea soup?

Love you all,

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • germish_se
    Options
    Yes, the rice porridge should work fine in a slowcooker (not that I ever used one) :undecided

Apple soup
    Serves 4 4-5 Apples (not to sweet) (600g)
    1 ltr Water
    3 tbsp sugar
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 tbsp potato flour
    (Lemon juice)
    Peel and cut apples in wedges.
    In a saucepan put water, sugar and cinnamon and bring to the boil, add the apple and cook until soft.
    Dissolve potato flour in a bit of cold water, pour slowly into the soup whilst continuously stirring, bring back to the boil and take off the heat. Do NOT let it boil!
    Add lemon juice if required. Serve warm or cold.
    The Apple soup is usually served with Crisprolls (68p in Tesco)
    7311071330815_90.jpgPogen Wholegrain Krisprolls 225g for an afternoon snack

Rosehip soup
    Serves 4
    1-1/2 ltr Rosehips
    1 ltr water
    100-150 ml sugar
    2 tbsp potatoflour

Boil rosehips soft in the water and mash through sieve. Mix the puree with the water and sugar and bring to the boil.
    Dissolve potato flour in a bit of cold water, pour slowly into the soup whilst continuously stirring, bring back to the boil and take off the heat. Do NOT let it boil!
    Rosehipsoup is yummy lukewarm with a scoop of vanilla icecream in it.
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all! Jut popping in to say hi before the G&T(s!) take effect and the apprentice starts at 9!! Problem is I'm now wanting a ciggie....No cooking done here as the closest I got was whacking a pizza in the oven!!
    Hope youre all ok...ol re the cardamons...wondered why my whole ones were always a bit suss lol!! I always just left em in whole!!! heheh!
    hello mrs w & mr acetate!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• germish_se
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »

Germish, That's an inspiring porridge idea, Mr Weezl is getting a bit fed up of marmalade on toast at the mo!
    I'm glad the recipes are of help.:j
    You might then also like to know that we serve semolina as brekkie, again with cinnamon or jam and milk or with applesauce on, yumm.:smiley:
    Faster to cook too.

Compote recipe coming shortly...
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    if you do it with cinnamon, does it still need the milk, or can you do it just with water?

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport