PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    ..... Yuk...even if I wasnt a veggie. Cor...she'll be giving us a recipe for tripe or stuffed hearts next - yuk!
    :rotfl:I have considered trying tripe and onions actually :rotfl:. And once when in Italy, I did eat ox heart roasted in cumin, and it was fabulous :D

ceridwen wrote: »
    Must have made a change to have a "normal" meal last night!:D

It was lovely. nomnomnomnom.

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Aaaargh sheeps feet ,hearts cats !!!!

I have always been a bit "meat squeamish" the only offal i will eat is liver and then only if all trace of tubey bits are removed!!!

i do have a nice "posh recipe"for liver too

I did it for a college assesment when doing my City and Guilds might do for your inlaws weezl

Shaz

Pan fried liver in tarragon cream sauce

Ingredients

· 750g lambs liver
    · flour for dusting
    · Oil for frying
    · 6 sprigs tarragon
    · 300ml double cream
    · Seasoning

Method

1. Infuse the cream with tarragon by bringing the cream to the boil with4 sprigs of the tarragon turn off the heat and leave at least 30 minutes until straining ready for use
    2. Skin the liver remove any gristle and cut into thin slices diagonally
    3. Dust the slices with seasoned flour
    4. Fry the liver very quickly in a little hot oil for a few minutes remove to a warmed plate
    5. Deglaze the pan with the strained cream bring to the boil
    6. Reduce the cream slightly, season add the remaining tarragon (chopped finely)
    7. Serve the sauce over the cooked liver

Shaz
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    sorry computer gremlins repeated post and ate half of it at the same time??
    Shaz
  • maltesers_2
    maltesers_2 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    I used to work in a school kitchen and we used minced ox heart mixed with minced beef for sheherds pie it was lovely. I used to do this too but it's not so easy to get now.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Hope no-one minds me sneaking in.. have been reading the thread and thought i would share the bagel recipe i use....Thought they might be a good stand by for when you have no eggs or can't have eggs.
    This is a picture of the 1st lot i ever made..got them a bit better looking now;) ..they are stunning.. and you can always omit the poppy seeds and onions as i decided to stick them in the original recipe :p

pict0079dk9.th.jpg

bagels -makes 8
    1. 1 cup warm water
    2. 1 tbs soft butter
    3. 1tsp sugar
    4. 3tsp salt
    5. 3 cups white bread flour
    6. 1 1/2 tsp yeast..... i used 20g of fresh
    7. 1tbs poppy seeds
    8. 2 tbsp fried onions (the crispy ones in tubs for salads)
    • tip the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre
    • mix the fresh yeast, sugar and water and pour into the well add the butter (if using dried yeast -tip into flour but don't add the salt until you are kneading in the seeds n onions;) )
    • mix to form a soft dough
    • tip in the onions and poppy seeds
    • and knead to combine
    • leave to prove until double in size
    • cut into 8 pieces..mine were about 90g
    • roll into a sausage -about 9" - form into a ring and pinch the edges together (I formed mine around a barts spice bottle to get even-ish sizes;) )
    • place on a greased baking sheet -or on a silicone liner, cover loosely with oiled cling film or a split carrier bag and leave to prove for 20 mins
    • bring a pan of water to the boil, pop 2-3 bagles into the pan and cook for 1 min -turning half way through...they do swell slightly
    • lift out and gently shake to remove water
    • place on silicone liner /oiled baking sheet and when all done place in a preheated oven -200c/400f/gas 6 and bake for about 15-20 mins (you can glaze -before baking if you like with 1 egg yolk and 1tbs water mixed)
    • remove onto cooling rack and cool
    Hope thats of some use to someone :D ...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Pablosmummy
    Pablosmummy Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I thought it was about time I posted on here. I've been lurking for a while. Infact I've made the houmous, lentil pate, cinnamon bread and bagels off here (all are lovely btw) Actually the cinnamon bread is so nice, my boyfriend ate half a loaf in one night!! then his friends came around finished the rest off and took another one with them!

So yes I made the bagels and they actually turned out like bagels! (the recipe with eggs in I mean) but I overcooked the second batch so they're now like rocks. ANy ideas what I can use them for? Or how I could soften them up a bit?
    Thanks!!
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    ANy ideas how I could soften them up a bit?
    Thanks!!

try microwaving with a container of water in the micro too to create steaming effect works with dry bread!

Shaz
    Shaz
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there

Hope no-one minds me sneaking in.. have been reading the thread and thought i would share the bagel recipe i use....Thought they might be a good stand by for when you have no eggs or can't have eggs....

Hiya Mrs Macawber,
    they look lovely, and I just did the costings for plain ones (couldn't find prices online for the oniony bits), and they work out at a stunning 3.5p per bagel.:money:

Billy bargain or what! Thanks for sharing the recipe :T

Hi pablosmummy, glad the recipes have been going down well. The cinnamon toasts are amazing aren't they? And only a penny a slice, ;) so it's ok if BF eats half a loaf :rotfl:

Shaz I really like the liver recipe:D. Alas tarragon is a herb I haven't grown yet. D'you think thyme, sage or rosemary, or flat leaf parsley might go well instead?

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that bagel recipe MrsMc. I don't eat eggs but love bagels! :drool:
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Evening!!

I just made this for dinner and it was nomnomnom!!! Thought of you as you could use nettles instead of spinach??
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure