PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Found a post war recipe book at my gran's and have pinched it. Was intrigued to see a cake containing half a pound of rice and half a pound of treacle.

Thing is, need some urgent advice. Given my user identity, I fear I may explode if I make it.:eek:

Any thoughts m'lovelies?:rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You have my nomination as well weezle, that comment alone should win the prize!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    I had to sit there and think about the rhyme for a minute. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Would love the recipe for the almond butter. Can't find it posted anywhere. My dad isn't so well and need building up and I think it would really help him, not to mention the fact that I think it sounds yummy too. :D

Sorry about your Dad cheerfulness4, hope this helps him.

Almond butter

150g roasted almonds
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Roast the nuts just before making the butter To roast the almonds, spread them in a thin layer on a baking sheet at 300°F for about 20 minutes. Stir a couple of times for even roasting.
    Combine the almonds and salt in a food processor, blitz until the nuts are finely ground.

Add the oil and continue blitzing until the almond butter reaches smoothness/ crunchiness you want, adding more oil if necessary. Store, in a sterilised jar in the fridge

Mine is a 2/3rds almond one third brazil nuts variation on this. I adapted it from a rebecca wood recipe.

I do double at a time cos we get through it quickly, but maybe make a smaller amount until you're sure you like it! Sunflower or pumpkin seeds added would also increase the healthy mineral content.

hiya FFM, the recipe was for a gingerbread, but I think this one sounds nicer:

Dark old-fashioned gingerbread (from good housekeeping's picture cake baking, 1952)

costed at asda by weezl, total 81p per cake, 5p per slice (cut into 16 servings)

6oz fat - 17p

6oz sugar - 13p

6oz treacle - 21p

1lb flour - 12p

1 tsp ground ginger - 3p

1 tsp bicarb mixed in water - 5p

splash of milk - 10p

beat together fat, sugar and treacle til light and creamy. Stir in sieved flour and ginger, bicarb and enough milk to achieve a soft-dropping consistency (enough so it drops off spoon after a slow count of 5:D). Bake at 350f for 1.5-2 hrs or til well risen, brown and firm to touch in centre.

Hope that helps,

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • candyblue
    candyblue Posts: 640 Forumite
    Options
    This is my first time of posting on this thread, although I have been lurking for a while. What an excellent thread Weezl!

I bought some red lentils yesterday to try to bulk out my meals as shown, I am going to hope OH doesnt notice.
    £23366/ £39206.92 DFD Nov 2016
  • weezl74
    Options
    candyblue wrote: »
    I bought some red lentils yesterday to try to bulk out my meals as shown, I am going to hope OH doesnt notice.

Hi candyblue and welcome!

And if DH does notice, perhaps you could show him this below? You are, after all, only trying to keep him healthy!

from wikipedia:

"A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine confirms that eating high fiber foods, such as lentils, helps prevent heart disease. Almost 10,000 American adults participated in this study and were followed for 19 years. People eating the most fiber, 21 grams per day, had 12% less coronary heart disease (CHD) and 11% less cardiovascular disease (CVD) compared to those eating the least, 5 grams daily. Those eating the most water-soluble dietary fiber fared even better with a 15% reduction in risk of CHD and a 10% risk reduction in CVD.

Lentils' contribution to heart health lies not just in their fiber, but in the significant amounts of folate and magnesium they supply. Folate helps lower levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that is an intermediate product in an important metabolic process called the methylation cycle. When folate and vitamin B6 are present, homocysteine is immediately converted into cysteine or methionine, both of which are benign. When these B vitamins are not available, levels of homocysteine increase in the bloodstream—a bad idea since homocysteine damages artery walls and is considered a serious risk factor for heart disease.

Lentils' magnesium is a calcium channel blocker. When the body has enough magnesium, veins and arteries relax, which lessens resistance and improves the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients throughout the body. Studies show that a deficiency of magnesium is not only associated with heart attack but that immediately following a heart attack, lack of sufficient magnesium promotes free radical injury to the heart."

Love, Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • candyblue
    candyblue Posts: 640 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Hi candyblue and welcome!

And if DH does notice, perhaps you could show him this below? You are, after all, only trying to keep him healthy!

from wikipedia:

"A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine confirms that eating high fiber foods, such as lentils, helps prevent heart disease. Almost 10,000 American adults participated in this study and were followed for 19 years. People eating the most fiber, 21 grams per day, had 12% less coronary heart disease (CHD) and 11% less cardiovascular disease (CVD) compared to those eating the least, 5 grams daily. Those eating the most water-soluble dietary fiber fared even better with a 15% reduction in risk of CHD and a 10% risk reduction in CVD.

Lentils' contribution to heart health lies not just in their fiber, but in the significant amounts of folate and magnesium they supply. Folate helps lower levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that is an intermediate product in an important metabolic process called the methylation cycle. When folate and vitamin B6 are present, homocysteine is immediately converted into cysteine or methionine, both of which are benign. When these B vitamins are not available, levels of homocysteine increase in the bloodstream—a bad idea since homocysteine damages artery walls and is considered a serious risk factor for heart disease.

Lentils' magnesium is a calcium channel blocker. When the body has enough magnesium, veins and arteries relax, which lessens resistance and improves the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients throughout the body. Studies show that a deficiency of magnesium is not only associated with heart attack but that immediately following a heart attack, lack of sufficient magnesium promotes free radical injury to the heart."

Love, Weezl x

Excellent, good idea!!
    £23366/ £39206.92 DFD Nov 2016
  • weezl74
    Options
    p.s, I'm saying this because Mr. Weezl used to understand my thriftiness as saying 'she doesn't love me enough to give me expensive food' but now more understands it as 'she loves me (and a healthy bank balance) enough to feed me healthily without excess debt' Just wondering if your DH might be doing the same misunderstanding!!! ;)

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all! So the fattening up Mr weezl hunt continues...I have loads of recipe books that you are more than welcome to borrow - some particulary evil pudding ones that I dare not even read for fear of spontaneous combustion, never mind just going pop!! I also suspect that the ONB will turn upsidedown modern conventions re food but will let you know! Have been diverted by John Grishams latest which was exchanged for the ONB which is now back at the library just for you! Enjoy!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all! So the fattening up Mr weezl hunt continues...!!

Have we covered rice pud here yet my recipes not frugal but you could use dried milk and marg ........................(is all dried milk powder skimmed??)

Simple Rice Pudding

Serves 4

Ingredients

100g short grain pudding rice
    50g sugar
    500ml milk
    10g butter
    50ml cream

Method

1. Put the milk, rice, sugar, and butter into a pan bring to the boil stirring constantly.

2. Reduce the heat and allow the rice to simmer gently stirring occasionally.

3. When the rice is soft and creamy and all the liquid has been absorbed add the cream bring back up to a simmer for a few minutes then serve.

Also bread pudding

Bread Pudding

225g stale Bread

150g mixed fruit
    50g brown sugar
    50g suet
    1 tsp mixed spice
    1 egg

Soak the bread in about half a pint of water for a couple of minutes then place in a sieve over a bowl and press gently to remove as much water as possible then place in a bowl and beat all the other ingredients in

Bake at gas 5 until set and golden serve hot with custard or cold as a cake

Shaz
    Shaz
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    ok soup book goin back o the lbrary today but in the spirit of keeping Mr Weezl with flesh on his bones heres a couple that may assist in flesh giving but also with the nuts! Note to Weezl - dont ever give me the peanut one - I'm allergic & uness you fancy a quick trip to the heath....!!
    Hugs to cheerfulness re her dad...hope he gets better soon!
    Ta for the rice pud recipe! I must stop experementing with puds - my double chin is definately growing!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Cauliflower & ginger soup

1 large cauliflower
    1 finely chopped onion
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1tablesp freshly chopped ginger
    1 litre/ 1 ¾ pints basic vegetable stock
    salt & pepper

Remove base of cauliflower & discard outer leaves. Thinly slice remaining leaves & break the cauliflower into florets. Wash & drain.

Heat butter and oil in large pan and add vegetables. Cover & cook for 10 minutes stirring vegetables occasionally to prevent browning. Add ginger & stock & season to taste. Cover & simmer for 30mins until vegetables are tender. Cool & blend until smooth.

(Ultimate soups for healthy living, J Stacey)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure