Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Dec 19, 4:19 PM
    • 1,982Posts
    • 24,968Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2020 - banish the clutter
    • 13th Dec 19, 4:19 PM
    2020 - banish the clutter 13th Dec 19 at 4:19 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2019!"

I was definitely not as productive in 2019 as I had intended NO full declutter and the only decorating was done by my DSis - the hallway & the downstairs cloakroom

SO 2020 HERE I COME

The good intentions for 2020 (in between numerous holidays) are:

1. Finish DH’s office carpeting, put up a long shelf & declutter fully.
    2. Decorate & re-carpet our bedroom. Not much decluttering required.
    3. Sort & decorate the Room of Doom i.e. the spare room - a Decluttering nightmare
    4. Embarrassed �� to say that the bathroom refurbishment + the living room & dining room redecorating/refurbishments will now be 2021 UNLESS we complete all of the above.

So who will make the 2020 decluttering journey with me? ALL are welcome Whether you are doing a major declutter or a maintaining declutter. This will be a supportive & encouraging thread - our aim being to declutter our lives of physical & electronic items & maybe even the stress of having too much ‘stuff’. Also it makes cleaning easier
    I will also be awarding Gold Stars ⭐️ again

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2020 in 2020 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days or maybe by room. If you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase (2018) - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever numbering option you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 & 2019 threads will also post on the 2020 thread + lots of new people

I know I am a bit early in setting up this thread but it can help to plan your decluttering - ‘To Do Lists’ are your friends

So join me in my quest to have a neat & tidy home with no hidden horrors

MrsSD

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Molly; 02-01-2020 at 4:07 PM.
Page 1
    • balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 13th Dec 19, 7:38 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    • 13th Dec 19, 7:38 PM
    • 13th Dec 19, 7:38 PM
    Okay

I'm in !

52/52 as I am not good at daily stuff. So 52 bags out of house to charity or dump. Have the whole house to do plus 2 garages.

(Is this how we do this ? )

Bala
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 13th Dec 19, 7:44 PM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 12,497 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    • 13th Dec 19, 7:44 PM
    • 13th Dec 19, 7:44 PM
    Hi Mrs Salad Dodger,
    Please count me in. This is my fourth year of decluttering, third year of posting. I am going to link this with another challenge that I am going to do. Of which one component I have decided is to declutter 20 items each month. Sometimes I may group things and count it as one eg a bin of paper recycling. So my aim is to remove 240 items from the house. (If I receive any items from my darling mother then I MUST counterbalance the extra item in with another out). Gem-gem
    £2 Savers Club 2020 no. 1 Target £480
    Save 12K in 2020 no.59 £3615.15 / £12,000 (2479.65)
    2020 - Banish the clutter - 20 items a month
    20 20s for 2020
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 13th Dec 19, 8:09 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 10,160 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    • 13th Dec 19, 8:09 PM
    • 13th Dec 19, 8:09 PM
    I would like to join in again, please.

This year I would like to complete the emptying of my desk so I can get rid of it and complete all the final niggly bits which are mainly emotional stuff now plus the final few bags of paperwork.

The rest will be using up things I already have and making sure I don't bring new things in, especially clothes (although I do know I will need to buy some new socks in the not too distant future).

The end goal is to redecorate my home, a new kitchen and new carpet/flooring in the living room. I will need to save some more money towards this so that will be the incentive not to buy anything.
    Decluttering 26/2020
    Deleting old emails 55/2020
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Dec 19, 1:46 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 24,968 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    • 14th Dec 19, 1:46 AM
    • 14th Dec 19, 1:46 AM
    Yippee there are 4 of us already aboard the Ď2020 Decluttering Bandwagoní .

Absolutely how we do it balabooberlies Setting ourselves a target is very helpful. Two garages my DH would be so jealous Looking forward to seeing you in the new year

Nice to see you Gem-gem and looking forward to reading about your successes

Excellent plan oceanspirit . Donít forget that your new socks in will be mitigated by your old socks out Maybe you & I can gee each other on re the decorating

MrsSD
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Dec 19, 9:10 AM
    • 32,435 Posts
    • 67,404 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 14th Dec 19, 9:10 AM
    • 14th Dec 19, 9:10 AM
    Definitely agree with the carp on the desk inspro, my nemesis. Along with my predeliction for sticking stuff in the garage.

Otherwise my home is okay and I am working on using up what I have. Austerity starts now.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Dec 19, 1:13 PM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 22,692 Thanks
    villagelife
    • 14th Dec 19, 1:13 PM
    • 14th Dec 19, 1:13 PM
    I'm in. I need to declutter and make use of stuff I have. I do need to be more ruthless with this as we are going to lose the understair cupboard next year. It is full of rubbish and does need to be emptied.

I will aim for 2020 items.
    • Foofoopuppy
    • By Foofoopuppy 14th Dec 19, 2:15 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Foofoopuppy
    • 14th Dec 19, 2:15 PM
    • 14th Dec 19, 2:15 PM
    I will be joining you all, we are hoping to move next year so I will be decluttering as we clean/ pack, which we will be doing over the course of the several months it will take us to get there.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 14th Dec 19, 2:52 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 21,207 Thanks
    nannywindow
    • 14th Dec 19, 2:52 PM
    • 14th Dec 19, 2:52 PM
    Hi MrsSD Please may I join in too ?
    I lost my mojo completely as I was quite ill in Oct and Nov but I am much better now........ just have to keep taking the tablets . However I feel I am ready to start again in the new year, if you'll have me.
    Thanks
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Dec 19, 3:53 PM
    • 32,435 Posts
    • 67,404 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I will be joining you all, we are hoping to move next year so I will be decluttering as we clean/ pack, which we will be doing over the course of the several months it will take us to get there.
    Originally posted by Foofoopuppy
    That is an excellent incentive to de-clutter. I bought exactly 2 years ago....and still have a small box of office goods to unpack

It's mostly obsolete mobile phones and its paraphernalia, but I am very reluctant to recycle because I don't want any images to end up in the wrong hands. Nothing dodgy, you understand, I just value my privacy and that of those in the pics. Any ideas?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 14th Dec 19, 4:04 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    I’d like to join you with a declutter please.
    We are lucky to live in a large house with a double garage but I’m afraid it rather encourages keeping things simply because we have the space.
    I will make a plan of where I’m going to start and my objectives and I will post them on here to keep myself accountable.
    Thanks in advance for allowing me to join you.
    • ChasingtheWelshdream
    • By ChasingtheWelshdream 14th Dec 19, 6:24 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    ChasingtheWelshdream
    Can I join please? I have soooo much stuff to sort, including two rooms of doom.

R.O.D 1 is our back room. Because we're waiting to do some building work in there (when funds allow), it has just been the storage place, which is silly as it's bigger than our living room! But over the last week it is 'sort of' getting there - we are going to be full over Christmas and need the space to sit. It's not pretty, but at least I now have piles of stacked boxes, rather than simply piles of stuff - that's progress right? I'm just wondering if I have time to run up a couple of really simple curtains on wires to hide some of the boxes under the tables so I'm a little bit less embarrassed for visitors. Not sure, it's tight though.

R.O.D 2 is our craft room/studio (shared with DH). My half is, well, stuffed. To the point I can't do anything as there's no space. It's just got too big to sort out in one go, so I'm going to draw up a plan to increase storage and be really ruthless about the things that 'might come in handy one day', but clearly never have.

I'm also decluttering the Xmas 'stuff' that comes out of the loft each year. We've got 8 boxes, and last year we didn't get around to putting half of it out, and the boxes stayed out until *ahem* May before going back. You know the things: nick-knacks, spare lights, random falling-to-bit kids' creations. I'm going to be ruthless (but not too heartless) and cull anything that doesn't make it out the box this year.

I have half a box of spare baubles, several pretty biscuit tins and a couple of never-opened advent calendars so far. Next up for the cull is the book advent. When the kids were little, I'd wrap up a festive book for bedtime each night, but they've long since grown out of that so I'm only going to keep a few special books. And the DVDs - I've found three still in the cellophane - and we've moved house twice since I bought them!

I managed to get 4 boxes of halloween stuff into 1 earlier, so aiming for similar. Then I can use the boxes for the start of the normal decluttering!

Well, that will do me for starters. I have a quiet, kid/DH free house at the moment, so I'd best get on. I have a couple more boxes to fill in R.O.D 1 - at this point I don't have time to sort, just tidy. I figure I can then deal with one box at a time in the new year......honest!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 14th Dec 19, 8:28 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 39,693 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    May I play too, please? We're hoping to move before too long and I have 27 years' worth of large-family-life to reduce to something that looks vaguely saleable! I think at least one bag per week would be a reasonable target; I'd like to think I could do more than that, and may manage to some weeks, but don't want to aim too high & feel a failure if I don't manage. There'll be some re-organising & redecorating to do too as we go along.
    Angie

GC Jan 20 - £368.58/£420
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 0 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    • Caramac
    • By Caramac 14th Dec 19, 10:29 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    Caramac
    I’m another one hoping to move next year, and having lived here for 32 years there is lots of clutter I don’t really notice. My dad passed away earlier this year and I also have a load of his papers and some ornaments we I bought here when he went into a nursing home three years ago. I have reduced the papers significantly but really need to do it again.
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 14th Dec 19, 10:59 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 6,902 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    Iím definitely in! The year started off with the best of intentions (partly fuelled by the Marie Kondo show on Netflix) but things have majorly fallen by the wayside! Weíre also hoping to have a bathroom refit in the new year (nothing booked yet) and the christmas period is always a good time to reflect on what you have and what you really need.

Iíll not be counting items this year, but hopefully Iíll be able to get rid of at least a bag a week, either to the tip or the chazza as appropriate.

Full steam ahead!
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."

Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want
    • balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 15th Dec 19, 12:48 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    Mrs Salad
    The garages aren't mine. Wish they were. Am a hoarder so this is perfect challenge for me.

Thank you for the welcome.

Bala
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Dec 19, 10:16 AM
    • 8,764 Posts
    • 19,671 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Ohhh I'm in!
    This year I did make great efforts although they tailed off quite badly and stuff started creeping back in.

My goal is simple (and in conjunction with the 20 in the 20's Challenge) to declutter 20 boxes or boxes. So far I've already for 5 up in our spare room after having a furniture cull in our dining room/wasted space. So all of those were emptied out and I went rather military level on it and gave myself 2 storage tubs that I could keep - one of which was filled with soap moulds from my business LOL So that worked out quite well.
    The room is still under construction mind you with its purpose(s) yet to be decided.

After Xmas will be another go through of wardrobes, toys, books and gubbins. I may even turn ruthless with my craft items and stick to 3 or 4 and get rid of the rest, including a yarn declutter which will be passed onto a friend who crochets and uses thinner yarn (it doesn't work well for what I do).
    One income, home educating family life
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2019 46\66
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2020 0/66
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Dec 19, 11:39 AM
    • 10,815 Posts
    • 16,286 Thanks
    -taff
    It's mostly obsolete mobile phones and its paraphernalia, but I am very reluctant to recycle because I don't want any images to end up in the wrong hands. Nothing dodgy, you understand, I just value my privacy and that of those in the pics. Any ideas?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

If you do a factory reset it should erase any data you dont want found but you could ask on the techie board for any other options.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Dec 19, 11:39 AM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 27,590 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I will join in again for 2020. It sounds so futuristic doesn't it? It doesn't seem like that long ago that it was the year 2000 and I thought that sounded the same.

I have been using up my kitchen products recently. I've knocked them down to a few items and I got some boxes from around the house to store them properly so I can see exactly what I have so I don't mistakenly buy extras.

I am off to the charity shops this week as I bought some fabric dye so i will look again through my wardrobe to see if anything can be donated. I bought my husband a red jumper recently and it attracts pet fur so I know that can be washed and donated.

I was going to contact my vet to see if they wanted a dog crate I bought. I prefer the ones I already have as I used them when my dog was recovering from an leg operation. It is unwieldy and taking up a lot of space in the cupboard so hopefully they can use it.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 15th Dec 19, 1:56 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 1,322 Thanks
    General Grant
    I'd like to join for 2020. I need to tidy up which means be better organised and disposing of some things will help. I'll only count items actually leaving the premises rather than those relocated within the house and out of sight. So I'll have an annual target of 120 items (average 10 per month).
    Last edited by General Grant; 15-12-2019 at 7:51 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

2,331Users online

Martin's Twitter