Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 18th Nov 19, 6:27 AM
    • 3,046Posts
    • 20,794Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 18th November?
    • 18th Nov 19, 6:27 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 18th November? 18th Nov 19 at 6:27 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Molly; 20-11-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Page 1
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 18th Nov 19, 6:37 AM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 20,794 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    • 18th Nov 19, 6:37 AM
    • 18th Nov 19, 6:37 AM
    Morning all

Have been reading along the past few weeks but not really posting. Much going on in RL that needs attention which has rightly had my focus. It will do for many more months.

Lovely to see you back CLF and DNMS Glad you have a diagnosis now DNMS have you managed to sort your work situation out? I bet your holiday was fantastic hope the sleepover at DD went ok as it was the first one.

CLF take it easy, sounds like you might still need to build in some rest.

Hello to everyone else :waves:

My list for today:
    Go to appointment, use discounted parking card
    Pay 2 cheques in to account, park for free
    Small shop at bargain store. Have a delivery of fresh stuff coming later, that I used multiple discounts on to get over 20 off in vouchers but I need a few other bits that were expensive through this online retailer so I'll get them cheaper when I'm out
    Check just for points CC
    Check banking
    Try and drink more water
    Washing shuffling on radiators
    Man coming about fitting some carpet
    Fill in a form and write cheque and post off for something
    Call a company about my insurance as I need a letter from them
    Make a couple of other calls that I need to
    Get my biggest winter coat and Christmas cards down from the loft

Think that'll be more than enough for today. Have a good day all. Purps.
    • TryingAgain2022
    • By TryingAgain2022 18th Nov 19, 8:07 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    TryingAgain2022
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:07 AM
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:07 AM
    Hi, new here.
    I'm aiming for three no spend days this week.
    -Meals planned
    -using up freezer stuff
    -ring up car people to see if I can change my deal

I'm at the start of a long journey (three plus years to be clear if nothing goes wrong) and this is my third time trying to clear debts which have just increased during the last two attempts. I owe 24K and feel trapped in my situation.

I've lurked on this forum for years and this weekly thread is my favourite as it shows people just getting on with a new way of living. I've been doing this too, but (obviously) have cracked and splurged and set myself back, because I find it so hard to be constantly doing without. Right now I'm drinking a Maccy D coffee in my car outside work on a day that is meant to be NSD, because I felt so low at returning to work after a month off sick with mental health issues. Most of my debt is probably from moments like this.

Sorry, bit of a sob story. I love this thread and the people here are an inspiration to me. I'm hoping you will offer a bit of support as I try again to sort my life out.

-TryingAgain
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 18th Nov 19, 8:17 AM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 44,948 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:17 AM
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:17 AM
    Morning purps thanks for starting the thread. No my work situation is still a massive nightmare that is causing me a lot of stress! I'm going to quit but currently not ready to look for work and too frightened to be out of work. Have been off sick for 3 months now....

Today:

* load of washing, double spin and dry on airer
    * TOMM
    * sewing I finished cutting squares out yesterday. Think I'll sew them all today
    * write a list of fabric needed so I can go and look in fabric shop later this week & have a look online. Need/want minky for backing for quilts, fabric to make 2 x baby change bags for dd & ds' gf & fabric to make madam a party dress for school
    * send oh email of patterns to print
    * go for a walk
    * check weather forecast for day to go to the allotment this week. Need to do the winter dig/clear up

Ok that's all
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 18th Nov 19, 8:18 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 13,237 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:18 AM
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:18 AM
    Morning PF, thank you for this weeks thread and lovely to "see" you back.

Hi to everyone else.
    I've cancelled todays gym as I've got a delivery coming much earlier then expected.

Todays to do list

Priority
    1 - Check banking/ move some money to cover the change in xmas gift from birthdays pot to xmas - update spreadsheet done
    2 - Rember to do correctly del survey done

Kitchen
    Fridge and freezer tidy - see if anything needs using up done, a ys cabbage, a head of broccoli and a couple of carrots
    Plan tonights food depending on ^^ if nothing then we'll have the planned salmon and rice thinking....make a broccoli/cabbage cheese (not got cauliflower!) to go with the salmon instead of rice - will peel and chop the carrots for the ds's after school snack I think done
    Chopped and froze the other 1/2 a cabbage that I'm not using up today

Make families lunches for tomorrow done
    Take another look at the use up box and think about next weeks meal plan done plus added more to the shopping list so that I can make meals out of a few bits that are in there.
    Got some berries out of the freezer to stew with an apple that ds1 managed to bounce like a tennis ball around the kitchen this afternoon by mistake - thats dessert with some ys yogurt then! done

Getting organised -
    See if another load of washing needs doing (I did an extra one yesterday to try out the new airer so might not have a load now which is unheard of for a Monday morning!) done
    Iron just what needs doing, hang rest straight away nothing needed ironing
    Get into the garden to bag up some more leaves (will have to wait until after the deliveries been though as I won't hear them otherwise.
    Write xmas cards - little and often. About 10 done, friends and neighbours first
    Sort email inboxes and unsubscribe from what I can. done
    Find an extra long hdmi cable as we’ve moved stuff around again Looked but didn't find a longer one, maybe he already has the longest one we have.... will have a word with dh
    Take books back to the library as I don’t think we’ll be able to get there at the weekend as normal done
    Take a bag of stuff to the charity shop done - dh has taken them on his way to work
    Take a bag to the fabric recycling box in Mr T done - dh has taken them on his way to work as he was going for fuel there.
    Applied labels to the keyboard keys to help ds2 learn to play, he was thrilled with the keyboard our friends gifted us.
    Ordered repeat prescriptions online, much quicker then trying to phone them through like we used to have to do with our old practice.
    Dh commented at the weekend that I should get a new phone case as mine was looking ugly (black flip one - a bit of marker pen and it looks much better and saved a few

Money wise
    : Check banking/update spreadsheet done
    : Check off just for points cc done

This week I’d also like to
    Do some surveys
    General decluttering/tidying Done, added a few bits to a new cs bag I've put in the bottom of my wardrobe. As I was in my wardrobe I straightened it up and moved things around so closes better.

Thats my start, I'll update through the day to keep me on track.

Take care all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 18-11-2019 at 6:46 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 18th Nov 19, 8:19 AM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 44,948 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:19 AM
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:19 AM
    Hi, new here.
    I'm aiming for three no spend days this week.
    -Meals planned
    -using up freezer stuff
    -ring up car people to see if I can change my deal

I'm at the start of a long journey (three plus years to be clear if nothing goes wrong) and this is my third time trying to clear debts which have just increased during the last two attempts. I owe 24K and feel trapped in my situation.

I've lurked on this forum for years and this weekly thread is my favourite as it shows people just getting on with a new way of living. I've been doing this too, but (obviously) have cracked and splurged and set myself back, because I find it so hard to be constantly doing without. Right now I'm drinking a Maccy D coffee in my car outside work on a day that is meant to be NSD, because I felt so low at returning to work after a month off sick with mental health issues. Most of my debt is probably from moments like this.

Sorry, bit of a sob story. I love this thread and the people here are an inspiration to me. I'm hoping you will offer a bit of support as I try again to sort my life out.

-TryingAgain
    Originally posted by TryingAgain2022
    welcome TryingAgain try not to beat yourself up it doesn't help us get better mentally. This thread is great as it helps me understand little changes and often build up to a big change.

Lovely to have you on board Good luck at work today!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 18th Nov 19, 8:33 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 13,237 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:33 AM
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:33 AM
    Welcome along TryingAgain, as you know its a great thread and I love it! It keeps me on the straight and narrow and there is often a post on here that inspires me and makes me think of doing things in a different way. Its all about taking each day as it comes and doing what we can. Wishing you well on your DFW journey and I hope your first day back to work goes well.

Dnms, I'd not realised you'd been off work for three months, good to hear you've now had a diagnosis and that you have some changes you can make to help you. I was pleased to read from yesterdays thread that you felt you'd turned a bit of a corner.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 18th Nov 19, 9:01 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 13,237 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    • 18th Nov 19, 9:01 AM
    • 18th Nov 19, 9:01 AM
    Quick question, savoy cabbage, shredded to freeze - blanch or no blanch?
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 18th Nov 19, 9:09 AM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 44,948 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 18th Nov 19, 9:09 AM
    • 18th Nov 19, 9:09 AM
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    I wouldn't bother if you're going to use within 6 months.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 18th Nov 19, 9:12 AM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 24,004 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Morning, everyone, and welcome TryingAgain

It's freezing here. A really hard frost. Himself has an appointment with the nurse at the Health Centre. I was going to go with him but he says not so I'll get on with some things.

Today's list

Banking checked and all is as it should be
    Do the Boy's washing and dry it inside. Much too cold for it to dry on the line.
    Freeze some of the sauce I made yesterday
    Lunch and dinner are defrosting. Must prepare vegetables.
    Himself is making breakfast. Some of the many bread like items he bought when they were YS and are totally filling up the freezers
    Tidy the cupboard underneath the kitchen sink and dispose of some items whilst he's out.
    Finish writing the C cards
    Other than that just the usual daily tidy.

Hope everyone who was feeling poorly is a bit better today. Take care of yourselves.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 18th Nov 19, 9:14 AM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 24,004 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I wouldn't either. Should be fine.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 18th Nov 19, 10:12 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 13,237 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    I wouldn't bother if you're going to use within 6 months.
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    I wouldn't either. Should be fine.
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend
    Thanks both
    • OnlyPariah
    • By OnlyPariah 18th Nov 19, 10:27 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    OnlyPariah
    Gonna look to doing more surveys this week. My partner gets paid at the end of the week as well so it'll be good to see that in and straight into the emergency fund.

It does look like the car needs new glow plugs. We've been quoted 80 for them supplied and fitted which isn't too bad. It'll get done next week when I'm away for work.
    Tesco 7647.88 7,488.96 Asda 2,552 2,300 Virgin 4,204.95 4,204.95
    Halifax 2,853 2,796.64 Barclaycard 7,866.32 7,866.32 Wedding 488 EF 63
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 18th Nov 19, 12:15 PM
    • 5,705 Posts
    • 35,469 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Frugalistas!
    Ooooh, what a chilly day - bright sunshine, which is welcome after all the rain, flood alerts, etc, but I'm indoors & have my fingerless gloves on!
    So, the shape of my money saving week ahead should look something like this:
    *Keep budgets straight - a bit of a pain this morning, but will save that for my DFW diary.
    *Some big financial decisions to make this week, & all being well, we should be able to begin actioning them.
    *Continue to avoid food waste, which is a massive problem for the planet, as well as for our budgets. Have already rounded up some carrots & cavolo nero, now blanched & frozen so as not to end up composting them.
    *Continue Christmas preparations. I have just one present left to buy, after ordering the penultimate on online this morning, plus a very few tiny things & cash to sort out for oldest nephews - that's all. Will continue wrapping this week & also start writing cards.
    *Finish knitting socks for a December birthday. Am up to the heel flap on the 2nd one, so shouldn't be too long now.
    *Free fitness continuing with garden clearing. Couldn't get out there last week with all the downpours, except for a morning in the greenhouse planting out baby lettuces. Really need to catch up & it's also my main source of exercise, so another reason to get out there.
    *Usual food planning - meal plans & sensible shopping list, plus I might do a new freezer list as my fish box is arriving today & so it seems a good time for an update.
    *Continue with free online German course - some of it is starting to come back to me now!
    *Continue with use-it-ups.
    *Use energy wisely, especially with laundry-drying, etc. Also, I found myself with 10 light bulbs on in the kitchen earlier. It's dark in our kitchen, but not THAT dark!
    *Continue to update my DFW diary to keep myself motivated & accountable.
    Take care all & let's try to have a productive week.
    F xx
    Last edited by foxgloves; 18-11-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 227
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 18th Nov 19, 12:51 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 18,392 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Afternoon all!

Thanks for all your kind well wishes. PF - yep I do need to pace myself a bit better. I'm finding I'm either doing too much or too little! Sorry to hear that RL is proving tricky at the moment. I hope it resolves as well as possible for you.

Welcome tryingagain Try not to beat yourself up about the NSD. I don't actually find the concept useful for me, I have overall "pots" of money. It might be that you budget yourself say 10 a week for treats - a coffee, a nice choccy bar, something you can have guilt-free. I wish you all the best on your df journey

After being tired all day yesterday, my brain decided to wake up at 10pm so I didn't get to sleep until 11.30! Still, slept til 8 so plenty of sleep. It's going to be a shock to the system when I go back to the 6.15am starts...
    On the plus side, I did get all the plant pots washed

Today's mission:
    B/L/D from stores. OH sweetly did the shopping and load of cooking yesterday - done
    Charge phone in work - done
    Heating off all day - done
    FB person possibly coming to buy item but he seemed a bit odd from the message, won't be surprised if he doesn't show. - not a peep nor a whistle
    Tidy round a bit - done
    Bit of crochet. Trying to finish a guilt-ridden WIP - done

Will add more if i think of it

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 19-11-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019

SAVINGS: 10000
    Car final lump sum: 1500/6113
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 18th Nov 19, 4:13 PM
    • 5,970 Posts
    • 47,744 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Thanks for starting the thread Purple Fairy - hope everything is ok.

Struggling to swerve a migraine today I think - feel headachey and sicky still, but seem to have avoided a full blown one so far! Have done a few things:
    Washed hair and left it to dry naturally
    HG fruit from freezer for breakfast
    Checked banks, no surprises

Took some items to my sales unit and tidied up
    Put away the few things I brought back

Listed a few items on ebay
    Packed an ebay parcel ready to post tomorrow
    No cooking needed, as I made lots of things yesterday, just potatoes to put in the oven and a salad to cut, and OH can do that.
    Not spent anything

DNMS and CLF, hugs, take care
    Welcome to new posters x

• Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 18th Nov 19, 5:45 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 14,087 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    PurpleFairy thank you for starting this week's thread

DNMS I hope you get all the support you and your family need

We have another busy week, trying to be organised to prevent us wasting money.

We have a mountain of washing that needs doing, mainly OH's, dd's & bedding from the van, it's going to have to dry inside as the weather isn't helping and we need to be on the road early each day.
    Looking forward to next week when things should be back to our normal routines, but enjoying the novelty.
    • MidsHollie
    • By MidsHollie 18th Nov 19, 9:13 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    MidsHollie
    Hi All,
    I’m an on and off follower of the forum but rarely post. I’m newly inspired to become debt free and start paying overpayments on my mortgage eventually.

This week I am aiming to do:
    - 4 NSDs (Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat)
    - eat from the freezer and cupboards as much as possible
    - plan ahead for Christmas (cards and gifts) so I don’t spend more last minute
    - Check where fuel is cheapest, two long trips this week
    - investigate switching energy from British Gas to BG as apparently that’s a good deal right now

I’m looking forward to posting more and really getting my teeth in to paying off my debt
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 18th Nov 19, 9:27 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 3,527 Thanks
    ditty1234
    Oh almost got lost and could not find this weeks thread. Thank you PF, you saved the week.
    Am Aiming not to do any spendy until Friday ... Might need a drop of milk or so ... but otherwise I did a lot of shopping this weekend so ...
    Yesterdays activity was a long walk w ds and soap comedy binge. A good weekend.
    LBM Jan 2019 - 25.928/-24.095 7% paid off - EF 65.53 Jan 2020
    2020 1000 EF, get citizenship 1400, run 10 k in 1 hour 10 min
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 19th Nov 19, 8:00 AM
    • 5,970 Posts
    • 47,744 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Managed to stave off migraine yesterday, stopped feeling sick and my headache had gone by the evening Was worth taking medication sooner than I would normally have done. It is cold here this morning, frosty and icy. Glad I brought the plants in from the chilly conservatory last night. I do have a jungle on my dining table, but hopefully they can go back out later. I will take advantage of the unaccustomed space in the conservatory to clean it up a bit! I will also water the plants if they need it, and tidy them up.
    Other things:
    Check banks and update spreadsheet

HG fruit from freezer for breakfast instead of bought fresh fruit
    Investigate cake situation, to see if I need to make more (I won't today if there is any left)
    Other than that, I still have lots of food made at the weekend (quiche, spinach and feta pie, chicken ham and veg pie) so will not need to do any cooking for several days except to prep veg or salad to go with it.
    There is washing to be put out on the line. I find it often dries quite well on cold days if it isn't raining / damp. It will be finished off overnight in front of wood stove, which stays warm for ages after it burns out (we only have it alight in the evenings)

I have 2 ebay parcels to pack, and need to do a trip to the post office
    DD often appears with little GS on Tuesdays, so I am not making any ambitious plans
    Might list a few more things on ebay though...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,104Posts Today

7,350Users online

Martin's Twitter