Windows to Linux

Options
I have a couple of old laptops that have been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but they are extremely slow. I am told that I can overcome this by removing Windows and installing Linux. Could somebody give me the procedure in very simple layman's terms to achieve this as I am not the greatest with laptops and know how.

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I have a couple of old laptops that have been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but they are extremely slow. I am told that I can overcome this by removing Windows and installing Linux. Could somebody give me the procedure in very simple layman's terms to achieve this as I am not the greatest with laptops and know how.

Linux is not the answer to your problem. SSD more likely.
    Better to list the brand names and model numbers of the laptops in question. Then we can see more clearly the possible issues.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    If it is very old, then using x32 of either windows or linux may solve the problem

As the post above said "Better to list the brand names and model numbers of the laptops in question. Then we can see more clearly the possible issues."
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Before ditching windows and buying new drives run malwarebytes and ccleaner and use it to remove as much as possible from start up.
  • SuperSeagull
    SuperSeagull Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 July 2019 at 9:44PM
    Options
    One is a Compaq c500 and another is Acer Aspire 5532 both had Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 but I also have a very old Acer Aspire 3683 which had Windows XP and was upgraded to Windows 7. Any help would be gratefully received
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2019 at 10:30PM
    Options
    "Several different processors re offered for the Compaq Presario C500. Lower end versions feature an Intel Celeron M processor with a clock speed of 1.86 GHz. Higher end versions were available with Intel Pentium Dual Core processors with clock speeds starting at 1.60 GHz. Dual Core processors feature 1 megabyte of Level 2 cache and a front-side bus speed of 533 MHz. Base versions of the C500 came with 512 MB of DDR2 RAM. Systems could support up to 1 GB of RAM. For storage, the C500 came standard with 80 GB Seagate hard drives."
    I would put on x32 software of windows or linux. I would not spend anything on it.

The acer is far better
    http://www.laptop-spec.com/acer/acer-aspire/acer-aspire-5532-specs/
    definitely would put an ssd on this. if the memory was compatible, and depending what is currently installed, would take the memory from the top one. This can take slow memory like the stuff used in c500, or faster memory. if you mix it will at best work at the level of the slower one, and i am unsure of the performance different between DDR2 PC2-5300 and DDR2 PC2-6400 vs size
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    that wrote: »
    i am unsure of the performance different between DDR2 PC2-5300 and DDR2 PC2-6400 vs size

All other things being equal the 6400 memory would be faster. However it depends on the technologies supported by the processor and the main board.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    One is a Compaq c500 and another is Acer Aspire 5532 both had Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 but I also have a very old Acer Aspire 3683 which had Windows XP and was upgraded to Windows 7. Any help would be gratefully received

Pop onto each of the devices, turn them on and when they are up and running; press and hold down the Flying Windows/Windows key and whilst holding it down, press the Pause Break key.
    That will open a dialogue showing your Processor and the amount of installed RAM, amongst other things.
    We need to know about the processor and installed RAM.
    If dual core CPU, they can be saved with a relatively cheap SSD. The combination of a relatively poor CPU, old electro-magnetic hard drives and years of bloat will make old devices a dire prospect.

If it has a dual core CPU, it can be saved with the fitting of an SSD and a totally clean install of an operating system. Both Windows 10 or a variation of Linux would fine in this case.

I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit running on similarly old hardware. But I have dual core CPU fitted. Single core no good for most modern OS, applications and websites.
    Saying that, my old Netbook with a single core Atom CPU runs Windows 7 in conjunction with an SSD. But it's not the first device to which I run. Only useful in certain situations.

Another way to do the same thing as above, is to install CCleaner of each of the devices and run the program; https://download.ccleaner.com/slim/ccsetup560_slim.exe

It will tell you the spec of your devices at the top of it's interface. i.e. Your processor and RAM installed.
    But the first method is quicker and easier.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    that wrote: »
    "Several different processors re offered for the Compaq Presario C500. Lower end versions feature an Intel Celeron M processor with a clock speed of 1.86 GHz. Higher end versions were available with Intel Pentium Dual Core processors with clock speeds starting at 1.60 GHz. Dual Core processors feature 1 megabyte of Level 2 cache and a front-side bus speed of 533 MHz. Base versions of the C500 came with 512 MB of DDR2 RAM. Systems could support up to 1 GB of RAM. For storage, the C500 came standard with 80 GB Seagate hard drives."
    I would put on x32 software of windows or linux. I would not spend anything on it.

The acer is far better
    http://www.laptop-spec.com/acer/acer-aspire/acer-aspire-5532-specs/
    definitely would put an ssd on this. if the memory was compatible, and depending what is currently installed, would take the memory from the top one. This can take slow memory like the stuff used in c500, or faster memory. if you mix it will at best work at the level of the slower one, and i am unsure of the performance different between DDR2 PC2-5300 and DDR2 PC2-6400 vs size

Hmmm...

Actually the CPU within your link for the ACER, are dire. Both single core. If the Compaq actually has a dual core CPU, it would be a better bet for an SSD.

But on the up side, like the Compaq, the Aspire 5532 does have dual core CPU options, such as the L310 and the TK-42.

I have a feeling that they are all single core. I actually upgraded my old device from a single core AMD to a dual core. It refused to run Windows 10 on a single core.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you want to try Linux you can download a "live" version which will run directly from a USB stick; download it and follow the process at

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/burn.html

If you do like it you can choose to install it onto your hard disk.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    If you want to try Linux you can download a "live" version which will run directly from a USB stick; download it and follow the process at

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/burn.html

If you do like it you can choose to install it onto your hard disk.

Unfortunately that won't give the OP any idea as to how it would run when installed. It could still be dire.
    It will only give an idea as to the interface.
    So the spec is all important.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport