We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Windows to Linux

Options

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I have taken the bull by the horns and ordered an SSD which I will put into the Acer and just try installing Linux on the Compaq or vice versa whichever people on here think is best.

The ACER probably looks better, but it is really let down by the dire CPU. As you can see, it isn't even an improvement on the Compaq's processor that came three years prior, which some might argue performs even better.

Either way, it's a easy job, as the ACER has a dedicated hatch for the hard drive, so it should take five to ten minutes at the most to swap the drive.

If you don't already have an empty USB Flash drive of 8 GB or more, the one to be delivered will come in handy. You need one to create your Windows 10 installation media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    Download and save the Tool to any computer and then click on Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC and follow the instructions to create the installation media on the USB flash drive.

You'll need that for clean installing Windows 10 Home 32 bit to the SSD, once you have fitted it.

If you are happy with the performance, you can replicate it on the other laptop. The performance will be much the same.

I think some posters really don't have any idea of how slow a single core CPU such as those will be, in conjunction with an old electro-mechanical hard drive, modern OS, web usage and applications.
    Waiting minutes for a PC to settle down before usage is simply unacceptable in this day and age. A scan with Malwarebytes is not going to bring it up to spec, no matter what you do.
    SSD is the only possibility to get any kind of usability out of it. Even then, don't expect too much. It will be much quicker in operation, but still limited in what it can do.
  • SuperSeagull
    SuperSeagull Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    , I am sure the SSD will improve the situation but at least it will not make it any worse.
  • Trains
    Trains Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    They all certainly look a more viable option so will probably settle for a 120GB which I think would be large enough for my use.

I have just installed a Crucial 120GB SSD today. £20 from Amazon.

Still have 56GB free after adding everything i want to store on the drive. (Loads of spare space as far as i'm concerned)
  • SuperSeagull
    Options
    How do I copy EVERYTHING that is on my hard drive to either an external hard drive that I have or a usb memory stick before installing Linux.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    How do I copy EVERYTHING that is on my hard drive to either an external hard drive that I have or a usb memory stick before installing Linux.

Perhaps easier to wait for the results of the SSD, as you might decide to pop an SSD into the other too.

That way, you can simply put the old hard drives into caddies; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-External-HDD-Enclosure-USB-SATA-Hard-Drive-Black-Caddy-Case-for-Laptop-PC/192934660120

Takes two minutes and turns the formerly internal HDD into an external HDD. You can then simply plug that into any PC in order to access or move the data whenever you want.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »

I think some posters really don't have any idea of how slow a single core CPU such as those will be, in conjunction with an old electro-mechanical hard drive, modern OS, web usage and applications.
    You might be right, but personally I'm fully aware of how usable such a pc is as thats what I use. I think some posters really have no idea of how usable they are.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    You might be right, but personally I'm fully aware of how usable such a pc is as thats what I use. I think some posters really have no idea of how usable they are.

You might be happy using an obsolete OS or waiting around for minutes for your Desktop to load.
    The rest of us will simply fit solid state drives to our rigs, rather than to wait around until the device settles down.

So tell us exactly what you are running. Impress us.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 August 2019 at 10:31AM
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    You might be happy using an obsolete OS or waiting around for minutes for your Desktop to load.
    The rest of us will simply fit solid state drives to our rigs, rather than to wait around until the device settles down.

So tell us exactly what you are running. Impress us.
    2006 Toshiba satellite A100-521. Celeron 1.4Ghz and 2 Gb memory. Linux Mint xpce from about 5 years ago. Dual boot with its original xp.

I don't need to impress anyone, if it was too slow I would change it. I don't wait for it to settle down. I do something called, thinking ahead and switch it on a few minutes before sitting in front of it. It doesn't take long to start, if I remember I might time it although I do have other, more interesting things to do.

Looking forward to your thrilling critique.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    WSL (or soon WSL2) ? obviously not the most knowledgeable :D

Agreed, not the most knowledgeable on Windows ;) Now learn to read eh?

Still I looked up WSL just for banter. Bahaha.... love it. I rest my case. Thanks for the laughs.
  • SuperSeagull
    Options
    Thank you everywhere you obviously are an expert with great knowledge so can I ask as a pc thickie, what do I connect the caddy to the laptop with, do I need to buy another lead as well as the caddy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure