We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Windows to Linux

Options

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 31 July 2019 at 1:01PM
    Options
    joeypesci wrote: »
    As mentioned Linux won't make it quicker but putting an SSD in will.
    Linux cannot improve on the hardware but an old, bloated operating system needing maintenance will be slowing it down. My pc is older than the ops but runs linux mint really well. It struggles with youtube videos which I suspect is my processor. I was recently given two XP pcs which were ludicrously slow. Cleaning the os has made them usable.
    Presumably when you've fitted ssd's you've also installed fresh operating systems.
  • SuperSeagull
    SuperSeagull Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry for the delay but it takes me time to find out the information that is required

The Compaq CPU 530 @ 1.73 GHz
    Ram 2GB

Acer Aspire 5532 CPU TF-20 @ 1.60GHz
    Ram 3GB (2.75 useable)
    Acer Aspire 3683 CPU iNTEL 430 @1.79 GHz
    Ram 1 GB

That is all double dutch to me but obviously not to those who know about these things.

To answer a poster yes I paid £2.29 for an installation dvd as I was confident of making one myself. It has arrived but am waiting to see further posts in here before trying it.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »

I have a feeling that they are all single core. I actually upgraded my old device from a single core AMD to a dual core. It refused to run Windows 10 on a single core.
    Given that OP has stated the Compaq is already running Windows 10, wouldn't that give you the feeling that it isn't single core?

Also, in #8 when you typed 'If dual core CPU', did you mean 'single' ?
  • Kernel_Sanders
    edited 31 July 2019 at 1:47PM
    Options
    Given that OP has stated the Compaq is already running Windows 10, wouldn't that give you the feeling that it isn't single core?

I see OP has just provided the processor. Looked it up to see how many cores and I'm pretty shocked to find that you can buy it for under £2!

OP in those photos, I expect you haven't spotted the subtle outlining (in black!) of the break/pause key on each keyboard. (Edit, he's now changed them to red.)
    To answer a poster yes I paid £2.29 for an installation dvd as I was confident of making one myself.
    And now the OP is confusing us. That would only make sense if he wasn't confident of making the DVD himself!
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I have read what has been posted and would thank everybody for their contribution but looking at my key boards neither the Acer or Compaq seem to have a break/pause key so googled it and they confirm that neither has this key. As I have said I am a real dummy on laptops etc.

Figments of my imagination?

2a.png

3a.jpg
  • EveryWhere
    Options

Also, in #8 when you typed 'If dual core CPU', did you mean 'single' ?

They are all single core... Celeron M530, AMD Athlon TF-20 and Celeron M430
    They must be painfully slow.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    edited 31 July 2019 at 1:55PM
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    They are all single core... Celeron M530, AMD Athlon TF-20 and Celeron M430
    They must be painfully slow.
    Well the OP's not going to be capable of installing a new processor as even the concept of its speed and of RAM is gobbledegook to him. Obviously we can't have him go poking about in the BIOS either, not that he'd be able to find it!

BTW nice to get reacquainted with you.

Again.

:D
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    4.png
    5.png
    6.png

All I can state, is if the OP actually intends to use them, for general browsing and simple office tasks, they will benefit from the fitting of SSDs and a lightweight OS.

But one has to decide if it's worth the spending of £17.

If the OP was a tinkerer and could change the CPU to dual core with a score of around 1000 or more, then I would say yes. They would function as normal modern laptops.
    Though with their single core CPU, you would realistically only be able to do one thing at a time, even with an SSD fitted. No browsing and listening to music at the same time, for instance. But at least you won't be waiting around for anything to happen.
    With an SSD, you'll be ready to use it within thirty seconds of opening and it would shut down within ten seconds.
    So a lot better than to what you have become accustomed.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    edited 31 July 2019 at 2:10PM
    Options
    Probably better to try the Malwarebytes etc clean-up first as I suspect the O P has let all sorts onto his machines. Looks like single core is adequate for his needs as he has replaced like for like when getting a new laptop. If that happens, then I suspect his new DVD will gather dust.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Probably better to try the Malwarebytes etc clean-up first as I suspect the O P has let all sorts onto his machines. Looks like single core is adequate for his needs as he has replaced like for like when getting a new laptop. If that happens, then I suspect his new DVD will gather dust.

Are you thinking at all? First of all, two of the laptops are from the same year. 2007. You think they replaced laptops within the same year?
    The web and applications have changed somewhat over the past twelve years.

Trying to run a modern OS on a spec designed, just about, for XP, isn't going to work. You need to upgrade the components.

In addition to that, people often purchase to a budget. Those would have been within budget at the time. They clearly understand nothing about single and dual core CPU.
    The Acer cost as much as £445 new at the time. So the OP would not have any idea that the CPU was entirely inadequate; https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/LX.PGX02.017-Acer-Aspire-5532_698427.html If they hadn't tried anything better, how would they now?
    So far, your posts haven't really been of any use. Only a distraction. Please stop.

The first questioning me if I understood the difference between single core and dual core. The second, talking about the price of his CPU on eBay. The third addressing me again for no good reason....and now, some ridiculous assertion that ten to twelve year single core CPU are "adequate for his needs" when he has made a post complaining that they are not.

Stop Trolling the thread. Nothing you have written has been helpful nor of any use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure