PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 25th February 2019

Options
Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,344 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 28 February 2019 at 7:30PM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to the Weekly Flylady Thread
What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week’s thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspotsare areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ Nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ Person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ Miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner ;) DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide
Right here we go!!!

Happy Monday: Kitchen
Level One

Remove floor gubbins. Yes, you, that pile over by the door. Does it live there? I think not!
Now do the same with the unnecessary worktop clutter! There you go! Well done!
Level Two
Give the work tops and cupboard fronts your attention (with a cloth, don't flutter your eyelashes at them ;))
Shine your sink, flylady basics :)
Splash backs and greasy tiles? Yep, swish there too!
Level Three
Pop the bin and doormat outside, then sweep and mop your floor
Wipe over the small appliances
Extras:
  • Do you need to test your smoke alarms?
  • Wipe over your big appliances
  • Run the WM and/or DW on a hot wash to keep its insides happy ;)
  • Count your baking tins and sheets. How many??? Do you really need all of them?

Cheerful Tuesday (d'ya see what I did there?): Dining Room, Hall, Stairs, Landing
Level One

Dust from top to bottom
Sweep or vacuum / mop -including stairs if you can, safety first please :)
Level Two
Scrub the table top and replace tablecloth if needed.
Wipe a window or two
Level Three
Wipe the front door, inside and out
Tidy or declutter a hotspot
Extras:
  • Collect stray laundry
  • HHI
  • Find homes for the coats and shoes that are hanging around

Whoopee Wednesday: Bathroom
Level One

Let some fresh air in, pop the radio on
Wash the sinks and loo, don't forget the pedestal
Level Two
Clean the bath / shower
Replace towels, sponges etc
Wash the window
Level Three
Wipe down the tiles
Mop the floor
Extras:
  • Wash out any grubby toothbrush holders / fill your soap dispenser
  • Do you need to wash the shower curtain / screen
  • Wipe down the door and disinfect the door handle
  • Have a bit of me time and use one of your many products :)

Thankful Thursday: Bedroom(s)
Level One

Start off clearing that floordrobe! Can any be flung?
Then dewebbing and dusting the fluffy surfaces
And then vacuum...
Level Two
Strip the bed. Air and turn the mattress if needed.
Is it nice enough outside to get the duvet out to air? Or even put the summer one on?
Choose your brightest, sunniest bedding to replace.
Level Three
Wash a window or two
Wipe door handles and light switches
Dust your light fitting
Extras:
  • Tidy a shelf or drawer
  • Have a mini fling boogie
  • Put any out of season stuff away
  • Make a brew, and just sit and be for a while!

Phew it's Friday: Living a Room and catch up
Level One

Dust and deweb - lots of spidders around at the mo!
Sweep / vac - maybe get the tools out and do the edges and skirting?
Level Two
Polish a mirror and wipe a window
Sofa - vac again? Or a wipe? Mine are grotty ;)
Declutter a hotspot
Level Three
Catch up - do you need to S&S the sink again?
Catch up - any piles of gubbins starting to regrow?
Catch up - bills / paperwork / phonecalls?
Extras:
  • Fling 5 things
  • Plan something nice for the weekend
  • Have some time outdoors
  • HHI
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Morning all
    Thanks for the new thread natty, I'll be in later.
    First day back at work today, haven't slept much and stressing about how I'll cope but I'll do what I can.
    Have a good day all. X
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,930 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all. Hope you're all ok today and that your first day back at work goes well Mrs MP.

I'm having a tooth out this morning but will see what I can achieve first.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,
    Thank you for threads, Natty and Valli.
    It’s back to school day here so I’m back to shouting up the stairs again until movement is detected. Full day at work but if it’s still light when I get home, you never know - I might be motivated to actually do level 1 to day instead of catch up tomorrow.
    Thinking of you Mrs MP. X
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 4,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning :wave:

When I went to bed I decided whatever time I woke up I'd get up. Woke up, looked at clock....10 to 5! Not happening. I wish I had now as I woke up with headache two hours later having had a series of weird dreams. Cup of tea and two parrots to start the day then :)

Today I am going shopping :eek: Note the date. That is not a sentence I will often write! I'm going with friends to visit Mr A. I've sourced everything I want to buy on-line so I'm going in with the knowledge that what I don't buy this morning I can order on-line when I get home :D Watch me come back with two toothbrushes and a bottle of washing up liquid and minus the trousers, tops and pants I desperately need. (And I'm not exaggerating - I am wearing rags for underwear. Every time I step out of the house I worry about that bus Mum always said would hit me when I wasn't wearing decent underwear and carrying a clean hankie! Just so you know I would like to stress I am wearing clean rags for underwear :o)

I'm rambling. I'm nervous.

I left WM loaded and ready to run, so towels are swishing and will be hung out before I head out. Sunny this morning, looks like we had a frost overnight.

Thinking about you Mrs MP - hope today goes well xx

Hugs to all
    Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,821 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Thinking of Mrs MP

Day off so I am not out of bed yet. BUT MY WASHING BASKET IS EMPTY. Another fine day si I'll be pegging out later.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all. Hope today goes OK Mrs MP and hope your tooth removal is painless Jazee.

It's lovely and sunny out but frosty. The washing is in the machine and will be pegged out later. My new pots of primroses which I planted out yesterday look to have survived OK.

Going to the park with DD2 and DGD4 later. Could be fun (or a nightmare;)).
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    I’m in, I’m in...
    Thankoo for the lists.. :):D:)

Round have a little fun, (I detest shopping too) you definitely need & deserve some nice undies!

Hugs and thoughts are with you Mrs MP hope wherever you work you’ll get support from your colleagues!

Oops still in Pyjamas here.. beautiful morning, v frosty here, washing out on the line already:A
    Need a cuppa and then I’ll plan my day..
    Shopping arriving from Sainsbobs between 11-12 so that’s one job I dont have to do..
    Right.. lets Get on with it....:rotfl:
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,039 Forumite
    Options
    Ty.. still decorating and flinging and waiting for my cheque..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2019 at 1:12PM
    Options
    Thank you for the listies Valli and Natty.
    I hope today goes smoothly, Mrs MP. I'll be thinking of you.
    *Healing vibes* for Mr Ionafan.

I'm working my way through my own listy here. Every time I think I can just do something quickly I realise I have to do two or three other jobs in order to get to the next one on the list. That may be why I am always so slow at finishing or always playing catch-up. I really, really hope that once I've cleared the current To Do list that I will only be dealing with day to day stuff. It would be such a relief after decades of truly struggling to just keep abreast of the clutter, both in the house and in my mind. Three things of the seven achieved so far this morning, two of which will need to be done again because the people I need to talk to aren't available, but at least I can cross them off today's list.

A couple of letters written and sent, too, dinner prepped (must get parsnips), and window cleaner paid, none of which were even on the list. Washing folded and put away, breadmaker on, DW twirling, grape hyacinths remembered, watered and put back in coal hole.

And finally, after months of not working, links are working again in my email system, so getting on to this thread every morning won't be something else that has to be carefully navigated.
    Better is good enough.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,821 Forumite
    Options
    Been on errands - CS, post and to buy a new fridge light bulb. Irritatingly, new bulb isn't working. Might swap it/return to shop tomorrow en route to the paid stuff.

Before I went on the errands I ironed yesterday's 'dry' washing and stuck it in bedroom in front of window as it's tropical in there.

Lunch then I will clean kitchen and bathroom.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family