Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 82
    • melb
    • By melb 21st Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 2,613 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    melb
    just to annoy you
    • MrMoore
    • By MrMoore 10th Apr 18, 7:25 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MrMoore
    Out of contract with Sky read on.......
    Did you know that Sky can charge you 65 if you have a fault on your line when your contract rolls on after it has ended? They say it will be charged if Open Reach, (BT group) discover the fault is within your property. However they say you can avoid the charge by signing up to a new contract at the new higher rates. There is a 30 day cool off period but they don't say if the 65 charge would still have to be paid if you terminated within the 30 days. Also it's cheaper if you are a new customer who has never been with Sky before, so much for loyalty! Does anyone know if the service is any better for a business line and how much Sky charge for that?
    Last edited by MrMoore; 10-04-2018 at 7:27 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 10th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,277 Thanks
    mije1983
    65 is the standard charge for a fault that is found your side of the master socket. Why should someone else pay for a fault that is caused by you?

It isn't unique to Sky. In fact, if they are offering to waive the charge in exchange for a new contract then they are doing much more than other ISPs do and I'd be snapping them up on that offer if I knew the fault was on my side! If the fault is on your side, then consumer or business line the fault is still going to be there and need rectifiying. Unless you move to Virgin.

Cheaper deals for new customers is also not unique to Sky!
    Last edited by mije1983; 10-04-2018 at 8:06 PM.

• sroebuck
    • By sroebuck 13th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    sroebuck
    Talktalk haggle
    My 18 month BB contract was just coming to an end (was 24.25/m including anytime calls and basic mobile sim which includes plenty of calls & texts + 500MB data, enough for me + a free PVR for the TV). I haggled and got them "down" to 25.50 for the same package. Asked about fibre as my BB is often v slow, despite being just outside London suburbs, and finally agreed 29.75/m with free router & setup. I'm happy with this as I don't have to change email addresses etc. & feel it reasonable. I don't use any paid-for TV items, just Youview.
    • afmfifgh
    • By afmfifgh 14th Apr 18, 3:43 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    afmfifgh
    Change your email address to a generic provider such as gmail or hotmail, never use the one provided by the ISP, they use it to try and stop you leaving as you become tied to using their email and it becomes a hurdle to leave them.
    • jmpandap
    • By jmpandap 28th May 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jmpandap
    Virgin versus EE
    Has anybody recently changed from Virgin Media to EE for their bundled Broadband, phone and TV. If so, what have been the pros and cons. Virgin are driving me nuts with their charges, but I worry about the leap into the unknown, since the Virgin service is actually quite good
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 28th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    Has anybody recently changed from Virgin Media to EE for their bundled Broadband, phone and TV. If so, what have been the pros and cons. Virgin are driving me nuts with their charges, but I worry about the leap into the unknown, since the Virgin service is actually quite good
    Originally posted by jmpandap
    What sorta speed are you getting now? Also check out https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband_speed_in_my_area_v2.aspx

It's not entirely accurate. I know that VM do at least 50Mb/s here, and I myself get 350Mb/s , which should push up the average in my postcode quite considerably, but it gives you some sort of idea.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 28th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Thanks to MSE the last few years have been cheaper broadband wise than basic line rental.

The offer from Plusnet resulted in a cost of about 12 a month and prior to that Sky provided a cheap reasonable service and even gave me a few quid back when I switched to Plusnet.

I see Talktalk are doing a deal atm, but not sure if the saving from say going back to Sky is worth the hassle I see a lot of folk have had with Talktalk?
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 28th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    I was very happy with Virgin Media for a number of years. In fact they took over from Bell Cable Media. I eventually moved from cable to ADSL and chose Plusnet as my provider. Quite a few "bumps" with them, but overall ISPs seem much alike, at least when you go for budget deals.

The only ISP I wouldn't wish on anyone was EE. Their accounts were unbelievable!
    • RandomQ
    • By RandomQ 28th May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    RandomQ
    Thanks to MSE the last few years have been cheaper broadband wise than basic line rental.

The offer from Plusnet resulted in a cost of about 12 a month and prior to that Sky provided a cheap reasonable service and even gave me a few quid back when I switched to Plusnet.

I see Talktalk are doing a deal atm, but not sure if the saving from say going back to Sky is worth the hassle I see a lot of folk have had with Talktalk?
    Originally posted by keef-WhatStandards
    I do not know how you can thank MSE

Before they used to get offers like the 5 a YEAR from Sky including line rental

Then we had 65 a year with 20 down, no extras

Then we had 100 for the year with 20 down, no extras

Now you have to prepay a year to get offered price, all kinds of terms that mean you have to pay huge extras.

I am not blaming MSE per se, the market is just not competitive.

I mean heard TT on radio offering 24 month contract at 18.95 saying price would not go up for 24 months of contract, they said they were the only ISP that can offer this.

Competitive to me is 5 a month for broadband

Competitive would be if all the mobile providers offered unlimited broadband but no CMA allowed them to merge.

Now we have TT being prepped for sale, so even less competition, Logic would be for Three mobile to get them.

The only way to win in this market is not to play.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 29th May 18, 1:50 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    I do not know how you can thank MSE
    Originally posted by RandomQ
    Because I got the deal through clicking on the links on their website.

They might not be dirt cheap, but beat the ones on the comparison sites for example.
    • RandomQ
    • By RandomQ 29th May 18, 5:55 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    RandomQ
    Because I got the deal through clicking on the links on their website.

They might not be dirt cheap, but beat the ones on the comparison sites for example.
    Originally posted by keef-WhatStandards
    Clearly we have different budgets, MSE is a price comparison site and owned by a price comparison site (Money Supermarket).

There was a time when I were a lad when MSE got these really special deals, they used to split their affiliate commissions with their mail list.

These days it is "nuffin special" and best deals people mention seem to be topcashback et al.

The real problem is lack of competition and cartel like behaviour.

EE no longer interested in really competing since allowed to be acquired by CMA, they were the disruptor previously that made Sky put out decent offers. Before that TalkTalk were the disruptor but they gave up discounting several years ago, deciding to prep the company for sale and provide all their customer data to hackers and/or IT Engineers in India.

TT are believed to be the biggest source of personal data on Dark Web, used in things like replacement Sim Card banking hack, know of two cases which exceeded 20k stolen. If this were USA there would be a class action lawsuit.

Plusnet not particularly cheap, renowned for now paying out on those mastercards and for sticking it to you if you leave them.

Virgin has always been far too snobby to discount to serious level.

Vodafone, only interested in Fibre, which may be OK if you have 20 a month or so to throw away.

It is clear the Ofcom is about as useful as a fart in a hurricane, every time they put in things to make it easier for consumers the industry puts up prices and blames them.
    • ffox
    • By ffox 29th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    ffox
    I pay 20/pm for TT standard broadband. I want out ASAP.
    • RandomQ
    • By RandomQ 29th May 18, 10:57 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    RandomQ
    Yes who wouldn't want to get out from TalkTalk,

The page below used to have loads of cheap deals, now they are trying to move us all to that awful tool but these are essentially your choices if you stay here

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

The tool might tell you if they are going to shaft you for living in the wrong area; being too rural or being just outside a town so in a naff exchange.

https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/

Coming from 20 a month Plusnet must look cheap but remember they will sting you when you leave, charge you installation at double what Sky charges when they do a deal.

Check out the Cashback sites too
    • Kit1
    • By Kit1 30th May 18, 2:42 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    Kit1
    My TT contract has now finished and am looking for a better/cheaper provider. I was paying 25 a month for broadband, phone line with calls included. I have searched MSE but so far haven't found anything near this. Could someone please point me in the right direction. TIA
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 30th May 18, 4:28 PM
    • 6,785 Posts
    • 19,657 Thanks
    Doc N
    My TT contract has now finished and am looking for a better/cheaper provider. I was paying 25 a month for broadband, phone line with calls included. I have searched MSE but so far haven't found anything near this. Could someone please point me in the right direction. TIA
    Originally posted by Kit1
    I'm still with TalkTalk on a genuinely fixed price contract giving me, for 30pm:

Faster Fibre connection, unlimited usage
    Unlimited UK calls 24/7 (including mobiles)
    Free call forwarding from landline to mobile, with no call charges
    Free reminder calls
    Free call waiting
    Free ringback
    Free 3-way calling
    Free caller display
    Free voicemail plus

There is no other ISP that can get anywhere remotely near that package for that price.

I have no problems whatever with TalkTalk for 99.99% of the time, and on the odd very rare occasion when I need some assistance I get it quickly and efficiently.

I've used BT, I've used PlusNet, I've used many others, but TalkTalk has always proved cheapest and best. I know it's not politically correct to say that, but it's genuinely true and when people try to argue that BT is better it just makes me laugh. Check out the customer service ratings!

OK, there's the data issue, but that's long gone and there's nothing you can do about that now - except perhaps have fun with the occasional caller. A simple statement that you're no longer with TalkTalk ends the call in seconds - you have no value to them.

And does anyone think it likely that that will happen again. I'd argue that TalkTalk is so scared of a repeat that your data is probably safer there than with any other ISP.

Why not talk to them and see what sort of deal you can get?
    • BarryBridges
    • By BarryBridges 15th Jun 18, 12:43 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BarryBridges
    Guaranteed Minimum fibre speeds
    Vodafone an EE are advertising very competitive rates for fibre with GUARANTEED minimum fibre speeds.
    I am with BT (on copper) getting downloads of less than 1mb and BT are advising that even to upgrade i wont get much more than 5mb and then the service will be a bit unstable due to the distance from the exchange
    Can the other firms really guarantee a speed when they are just piggy backing off of the BT infrastructure?
    I need to decide whether to go to Vodafone or EE and chance that it will be better - or stick with the poor service i get now as it is the devil i know! My gut says JFDI as it cant be any worse than it is now!
    Thoughts welcomed as i need to decide whether to terminate the BT contract. Thanks
    • ffox
    • By ffox 15th Jun 18, 12:49 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    ffox
    If the others are piggy backing off BT then it's quite doubtful you'll get better. As far as the ISP goes I believe BT emphasize quality (which is why its expensive). To be honest if you're not doing anything mission critical (lol) then the average user is much better off going for the cheapest service available for the mere question value.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Jun 18, 8:41 AM
    • 11,092 Posts
    • 4,808 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Fibre to the cabinet if BT say on fibre you will get poor speeds then its the cable between house and cabinet . That will be the same cable for other ISPs so i cannot see better .
    However you need to investigate and should ask on your BT Help page/ Member Community Forum .
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Jun 18, 9:12 AM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Vodafone an EE are advertising very competitive rates for fibre with GUARANTEED minimum fibre speeds.
    I am with BT (on copper) getting downloads of less than 1mb and BT are advising that even to upgrade i wont get much more than 5mb and then the service will be a bit unstable due to the distance from the exchange
    Can the other firms really guarantee a speed when they are just piggy backing off of the BT infrastructure?
    I need to decide whether to go to Vodafone or EE and chance that it will be better - or stick with the poor service i get now as it is the devil i know! My gut says JFDI as it cant be any worse than it is now!
    Thoughts welcomed as i need to decide whether to terminate the BT contract. Thanks
    Originally posted by BarryBridges
    Put your telephone number into https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker and post the results here.

As said above, for ADSL (copper pair) the distance from the exchange is the defining feature but for fibre the signal is optical up until your nearest green street cabinet where it then goes through the same copper pair as your present ADSL.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

1,663Users online

Martin's Twitter