Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    avantra wrote: »
    Second year of haggling with Plusnet. Just said I'm shopping around and was offered unlimited BB plus calls for £4.5/month for two years.
    Rather stay with them as I learnt my lesson with TalkTalk my previous provider and now I put a premium on good service and UK call centres.

So not the cheapest at £209/year all in but reliable and reasonably priced.

That makes my Sky offer of £198 more reasonable.
  • Be aware that the EE offer of Broadband @£2.50 per month only applies if your exchange is one where they have equipment. If it is what they call "Off-net" the charge is £19.95 per month.

Having signed up for this deal 10 days ago, they installed it in 6 days and now the bill has come and I have discovered the problem. The Customer Services lady assures me that a message warning me of this comes up in the small print, but I missed it. So the broadband cost is now £239.40 for the year rather than the £30 I believed I was getting.

This is one of the problems in being connected via a rural telephone exchange.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    They said something about me paying a £2.50 suppliment for not having sky tv. Since when have companies charged for not having a service ?

It's just their odd way of giving a discount. Broadband standalone (very few have it) is £15 (in line with BT's charge), if you have phone line it is £10 and if tv and phone line £7.50; the £7.50 sometimes getting half or full price reduction.

Actually your offer of £16.50 isn't bad, if it includes evening and weekend calls (though they claim that they no longer offer this). My £15 consisted of £10 for broadband £5 for calls, though we actually make most calls in the evenings.
  • AceCobra1
    AceCobra1 Posts: 620 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2014 at 2:13PM
    Options
    I'm currently with Talk Talk. Quite happy with the service upto and until recently. I seemed to have been suffering from lags when I play games and occasionally, when I stream youtube videos, I find that it has been buffering rather often when it previously never did that. Not sure if they have been slowing me down for whatever reason - I hardly download anything or watch youtube... or perhaps because I have been with them for 3 years, they are doing that. Anyway, I think it is time to move.

I currently am paying £8.50 for my broadband and £15.95 line rental.

I am tempted to move to EE but looking at the reviews, they seem to be the ones to avoid... are there any alternatives? I was looking to join plusnet. They seem to have decent reviews.

The package I am looking to join with them is thier 12 month contract which will secure me a £2.50 deal for 12 months for the broadband and I am planning to pay my line rental in advance for 1 year which gets me a £12.99 a month deal on that. This slashes my bill by £10 a month compared to my existing one and not to mention £70 cashback from them.

Anyone else have any ideas? I heard BT is to be avoided as well

I forgot to say, I am currently with Sky TV for my TV and am paying them £26.50 or something a month so I don't really use the TV package which TT are including in my package. Another reason for me to move
  • avantra
    avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be aware that the EE offer of Broadband @£2.50 per month only applies if your exchange is one where they have equipment. If it is what they call "Off-net" the charge is £19.95 per month.

Having signed up for this deal 10 days ago, they installed it in 6 days and now the bill has come and I have discovered the problem. The Customer Services lady assures me that a message warning me of this comes up in the small print, but I missed it. So the broadband cost is now £239.40 for the year rather than the £30 I believed I was getting.

You can probably still able to cancel this, might be a bit of a hassle but I think there is a cooling off period.

Plusnet might have a cheaper product to cover you, worth your time me think if only avoiding the cs from ee.
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
  • blahblahdoh
    Options
    Be aware that the EE offer of Broadband @£2.50 per month only applies if your exchange is one where they have equipment. If it is what they call "Off-net" the charge is £19.95 per month.

Welcome David. I don't know the legal position, but it seems to me that a difference of that magnitude (800% odd?) should not be hidden in small print, and should have been highlighted for confirmation before proceeding. If it wasn't, you might be able to argue your way out of the contract, assuming you want to. Certainly one for others to be aware of, so thanks for posting.
  • phguk
    phguk Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm presently with BT (line rental and BT Infinity2 broadband) and pay £7/month for Unlimited Anytime Calls addon. My 18-month contract ends early Feb 15 so I am looking at switching to Virgin Media and the fibre BB deal promoted my MSE earlier this week via uswitch. I had a couple of questions:

1. When you initiate a switch of supplier, can you specify a cut-over date in the future ? I don't want to leave BT before the end of my current contract. How can I ensure this doesn't happen ?

2. Virgin's equivalent of the BT addon appears to be their XL Talk Unlimited scheme. Any ideas how I can upgrade to this as part of the switch ? The uswitch deal appears to offer to offer M Talk Weekends only.

Thanks Paul
  • TonksyRob
    Options
    I posted this in another thread, but I think it's more relevant here:

I was about to go over to Plusnet for Phone and Unlimited Fibre, but Sky have just offered me Phone (with evenings & weekends) plus unlimited Fibre for £21.40 pm all in.

I'd already bought Plusnet the other day, but I have to say they were superb when I rang up to cancel within the 14 days with no questions.

Also the chap from Sky was also brilliant, so a good afternoon's work.

:j
  • blackanchorage
    Options
    I saw that Plusnet broadband at about £15/month (after cashback etc) was much cheaper than my £26/month Virgin media contract, but when I phoned Virgin to cancel, I was quickly offered a reduction to £16.50. As it's fibre, and less hassle to switch, I've decided to stay.
  • tree_hugger
    Options
    Hi
    New here, and getting confused when trying to get the BT Infinity MSE Blagged deal via the link provided in the MSE email (I can't post the link here because that function s blocked for new users)

If I click through all the options it always ends up charging me the standard monthly rate, rather than the deal which would include an up front payment.

Any ideas? Already tried different using web browsers.

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure