Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,614Posts
    • 23,597Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 55/120, Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 122/200
    GC YTD - 349/590
Page 115
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Apr 18, 6:05 PM
    • 62,172 Posts
    • 363,921 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Chips and beans for tea. Quick/easy/cheap. Done.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 15,333 Posts
    • 42,752 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Somewhat cba again. Still feeling a bit achey after unexpectedly (I should know by now shouldnt I?) finding yet more rubbish buried in my garden when I went to dig a bit out to plant some tomatoes there yesterday. This time - more large stones the garden would have had anyway (back when the house was built!) and some slates that must have been dumped on the land subsequently.

Anyway - I managed half an hour of power walking to a YouTube video and some housework - so I guess that's not too bad a result for the day.

So - I made those "English muffins" that can be done in about 2 minutes flat in a microwave recipe I mentioned recently. Conclusion = they took about 10 minutes longer in the oven than the recipe said. Don't know that they're what I'd call tasty - though, admitted I didn't have any jam in to put on them as recipe advice. Bit on the heavy side. Still - they didnt taste too bad I guess - though don't know whether I'll do that again or no.

So dinner was cba sauce of sauted spring onions/garlic with canned tomatoes, kale, cannelini beans, spinach and all sorts of flavourings chucked in. Served with a "cheat" packet of quinoa and rice heated up and then drizzled with tahini sauce. That was quite tasty and there's a second portion left for tomorrow. Then I had those "muffins".
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 11,807 Posts
    • 73,639 Thanks
    kittie
    food was managed ok today, don`t know about tomorrow. I am out getting my hair cut and I know I will fancy a jon thorner pork pie with a bag of rm salad. I`m in a cba mood too, if it isn`t quick then it doesn`t get done
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 23,597 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Hope you enjoy the salmon Farway

Almond Magnum pineapple I can completely understand why you had two

13km Brambling that's fab and here was I feeling pleased that I've managed 6K+ steps for the past three days

MTSTM - gardener's aches it's that time of year. I put my back out this time last year (fell over) and had to see a physio to put it right, as he remarked at the time it made a change from seeing gardening injuries!
    Would the muffins benefit from being toasted or could you patent them as compostable door stops?

Chips & beans PN, I'd want an egg and some brown sauce with those

The parsnip soup I made yesterday was even better today as the flavour had had time to develop. Just one portion left as I only made a small pot so will use that up tomorrow.

The weather didn't improve so no gardening done, I did spend some time online looking at some cheap & cheerful clothes online as I need more summery stuff. I have loads of smart "work" clothes which I really need to pass to a charity shop (how many pairs of smart black trousers and tailored jackets does a retired person need after all?) and more than enough "going out" stuff but I'm woefully short on everyday comfy wear. I've decided for any one thing I buy I will weed out at least 3 things from my wardrobe....
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 23,597 Thanks
    caronc
    food was managed ok today, don`t know about tomorrow. I am out getting my hair cut and I know I will fancy a jon thorner pork pie with a bag of rm salad. I`m in a cba mood too, if it isn`t quick then it doesn`t get done
    Originally posted by kittie
    I wish I was getting my hair cut tomorrow as it's driving me nuts if I last the weekend without attacking my fringe I'll be doing well! My hairdresser has been on holiday so I'm not getting it chopped until Tuesday.
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 15,333 Posts
    • 42,752 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well those muffins werent hard Caron - though I wouldnt describe them as light either.... So - oh well eaten then.

We don't do leisurewear very well in this country do we? I always refused to spend my own money on buying clothes for work personally - as it was always ever jobs (and not a career) that I had and not well-paid at that either. Think I've bought a suit precisely once in my entire life (ie when I had a spell of wondering whether I should re-train for a career - of the legal variety). So at least there's no "smart" clothes I've paid good money for going to waste.

I tend to think leggings are about the best current alternative we have here for leisure wear. Followed by we can readily whip off the jumper or teeshirt we've put on our top half with them and put on a suitable style dress instead if we go out.

I've always thought caftans are probably the ideal leisure wear for round the home actually - but very rarely does one see suitable ones - as most of them are too "lightweight" and/or bling-y.

Still - at least we're not popping to the supermarket in pyjamas(more like jeans and trainers in my case).
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 11th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Brambling
    After 10km Caronc I suggested that I sat on a bench and people watch and she went back for the car, I'm too polite to repeat her reply

Money far worst than pjs in supermarkets are people in onies

Cba /too tired to cook so pita bread and hummus with raw veg has filled a hole. I'm now wondering if a g&t would be a good idea
    Last edited by Brambling; 11-04-2018 at 8:10 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 23,597 Thanks
    caronc
    Well those muffins werent hard Caron - though I wouldnt describe them as light either.... So - oh well eaten then.

We don't do leisurewear very well in this country do we? I always refused to spend my own money on buying clothes for work personally - as it was always ever jobs (and not a career) that I had and not well-paid at that either. Think I've bought a suit precisely once in my entire life (ie when I had a spell of wondering whether I should re-train for a career - of the legal variety). So at least there's no "smart" clothes I've paid good money for going to waste.

I tend to think leggings are about the best current alternative we have here for leisure wear. Followed by we can readily whip off the jumper or teeshirt we've put on our top half with them and put on a suitable style dress instead if we go out.

I've always thought caftans are probably the ideal leisure wear for round the home actually - but very rarely does one see suitable ones - as most of them are too "lightweight" and/or bling-y.

Still - at least we're not popping to the supermarket in pyjamas(more like jeans and trainers in my case).
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I know I've loads of "suited and booted" stuff just hanging in my wardrobe. There used to be a project locally that provided interview/smart work clothes for unemployed folk, unfortunately it's funding got pulled so it closed or I would have passed them on to it.
    I'm not a fan of leggings, I'm too short & stocky for them so always end up feeling I'm a "Max Wall" lookalike, yoga pants or non-cuffed joggers are more my thing
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 8:13 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 23,597 Thanks
    caronc
    After 10km Caronc I suggested that I sat on a bench and people watch and she went back for the car, I'm too polite to repeat her reply

Money far worst than pjs in supermarkets are people in onies

Cba /too tired to cook so pita bread and hummus with raw veg has filled a hole. I'm now wondering if a g&t would be a good idea
    Originally posted by Brambling
    I'd need a stretcher after 10km....

A g&t is always a good idea unless it's for breakfast
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Apr 18, 11:04 PM
    • 62,172 Posts
    • 363,921 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Chips & beans PN, I'd want an egg and some brown sauce with those
    Originally posted by caronc
    But an egg's extra effort If I'd had spare effort I'd have chucked some fish fingers in with the chips and beans .... I wanted "any hot food, that looks a bit like a meal, quickest".

I did spend some time online looking at some cheap & cheerful clothes online as I need more summery stuff. I have loads of smart "work" clothes which I really need to pass to a charity shop (how many pairs of smart black trousers and tailored jackets does a retired person need after all?) and more than enough "going out" stuff but I'm woefully short on everyday comfy wear. I've decided for any one thing I buy I will weed out at least 3 things from my wardrobe....
    Me and clothes .... are not acquainted. I can't find/afford clothes that fit - and, in the main part, I find clothes irritating to wear and uncomfortable, so I mostly just have "random items" ... with an "Air du Madame Valise" about it

I've absolutely nothing that could be considered "smart for work" - I have some individual items that might pass muster, but to try to combine them it'd go to pot as they'd not fit, or not match, or just "not be right together and look very odd".

....end up feeling I'm a "Max Wall" lookalike ...
    I've always felt like that. 5'1" tall, tiny fatless legs, hips of a 12 year old ... and Barbara Windsor's assets up top. It never looks good.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-04-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Apr 18, 7:17 AM
    • 15,333 Posts
    • 42,752 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    The thought of onesies has quite put me off my breakfast. Think they come under the heading of "work of the devil" imo and I wouldnt buy one even for wearing round the house on my own.

I tend to think it's okay to change into a nightdress and dressing gown early of an evening if not expecting to have company - as even my elegant mother has always done that and evenings in would see her changing into that around 7pm/8pm.

But what to wear the rest of an at-home day is more problematic. I'm planning on obviously well-cut/good quality type yoga trousers when I get stuck into the spate of new clothes buying I'm promising myself soon (rather dearer at around 50 a shot, rather than 10 odd a shot for leggings - but they'll last a lot longer - so it's probably "swings and roundabouts" there).

Grins in sympathy at the thought of "Barbara Windsor's assets" - not being exactly flat-chested myself. It sorta feels a bit odd to have A Pair of Boobs somehow once one hits middle-age - but, having got Boobs myself, then "it is what it is" LOL. At least they're still "in appropriate place" so to say.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-04-2018 at 7:22 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Apr 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 23,597 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    When it comes to every day about the house wear I'm happy with cheap & cheerful. I'm a mucky pup when cooking/gardening etc. so want stuff that I won't be upset about if I ruin it.
    My favourite comfiest yoga pants are from Gap, they were a 5 in their sale two winters ago and are wearing well though they are very wide legged so I only tend to wear them indoors.

Unfortunately I'm having to make an unplanned trip to the Drs as I've another horrible cold sore outbreak that wants to go walkabout.

Although I've been up for ages I've not had any breakfast yet so must go and sort out some toast as my tummy is rumbling!
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    • 62,172 Posts
    • 363,921 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I tend to think it's okay to change into a nightdress and dressing gown early of an evening if not expecting to have company....
    But what to wear the rest of an at-home day is more problematic.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I've got a selection of shabby/large T shirts and loose leggings to doss around the house in - it saves washing "proper clothes", which I only put on if I'm leaving the house.

In the main, any time of night/day, I wouldn't want anybody knocking on my door as I'm usually just in an over-sized T shirt and thong. No point wearing/wearing out/dirtying "proper clothes" just to sit around the house!

For the summer I've a couple of oversized dresses I pull on, that cost about 2 at a charity shop. Big loose dresses, knee-length, for those really hot days! I bought them specifically for "summer dossing". They're that "thin, crinkle-like" material, so easy to wash and dry too.

For food, I'm tempted to do a sausage roll run .... but I shouldn't really as I have plenty of "food" I can dig out of the cupboard - and should dig out really.

The curry I made the other day needs splitting into two portions and freezing I think now, I really don't fancy it today at all... so I'll freeze that, later.

I've got things I'd like to cook, but I never get round to them as they need additional/main ingredients, so I'd have to specifically get those .... and there's always "food" already in the house, so it doesn't happen.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 12-04-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 23,597 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm back from the Drs, I am very grateful for free prescriptions in Scotland as I dread to think what this little lot would have cost
    • Anti viral tablets
    • Anti viral nasal spray
    • Antibiotic nasal cream
    • Anti viral eye drops
    • Antibiotic eye cream
    Hopefully this little lot will stop it in it's tracks as unfortunately the Dr thinks it's gone into my tear duct as well as the outbreak up my nose

Breakfast was a quick slice of toast with some lovely Greek bitter orange marmalade made by my son's gf's Mum with bitter oranges from their own tree. As well as a massive garden they share a grove with a neighbour and grow their own olives and citrus fruit. I am seriously envious.....

Lunch will be a re-run of yesterday and will use up the remaining soup. For tonight I've defrosted a small tub of piri piri pork which I was going to have in a crusty roll but I think I'll have one of the spuds I baked earlier in the week. I'll make some coleslaw and nuke a corn cobette to have with that
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Apr 18, 11:47 AM
    • 6,091 Posts
    • 9,545 Thanks
    Farway
    The salmon fillet was in the OK category, OK for YS, not OK if full price. There were two in the pack, I cooked both and now have a LO fillet, curse of CFO again

I don't think it's salmon related but my tum & sniffles have returned, so staying in, don't want to be too far from "facilities"

No breakfast except pot of tea, giving tum a rest, but a bit peckish now, not sure what I could nibble. I think one of PN's sausage rolls would be just the ticket if I had any

Probably have some toast later

I've got one suit for weddings, funerals and anything else requiring booted & suited. Otherwise it is always Asda 10 jeans & T or Polo type shirts from anywhere I spot them, or given as presents from relatives forlornly trying to smarten me up

Dinner, no idea, tum dependent at the moment
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Apr 18, 12:01 PM
    • 62,172 Posts
    • 363,921 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I ended up going with 2 of the spuds from my 2.5Kg bag, last of the tin of beans I opened the other day and some grated cheddar.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 12,340 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Chips and beans for tea. Quick/easy/cheap. Done.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    There is nothing quite like that for a delicious and easy meal.

Breakfast was a quick slice of toast with some lovely Greek bitter orange marmalade made by my son's gf's Mum with bitter oranges from their own tree. As well as a massive garden they share a grove with a neighbour and grow their own olives and citrus fruit. I am seriously envious.....

Sounds lovely!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 22/60
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Apr 18, 12:48 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 23,597 Thanks
    caronc
    It is Wednesday not overly sweet which is just how I like it

That's a shame Farway that your tummy/sniffles have returned hopefully a quiet day will sort them out!

Spuds & beans PN, I used to love that for lunch from the work's canteen on cold days if I hadn't brought lunch from home.

I randomly remembered that I had stored a large begonia bulb in a pot of dry compost over the winter. It seems to have survived so I've repotted it. It had the most beautiful, blowsy deep salmon pink flowers so o fingers crossed it will grow again this year. It's lovely outside if you are out of the wind so after my lunch & nap I'm heading outside as the forecast isn't great for tomorrow.
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 12th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 6,149 Posts
    • 29,502 Thanks
    pineapple
    One advantage of the poor stock control in the local Co-op is that they are always reducing items which got to their use by date. Today I got 4 pork loin steaks for the princely sum of 1.50. Three of them will go straight in the freezer
    Last edited by pineapple; 12-04-2018 at 1:49 PM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Apr 18, 3:04 PM
    • 15,333 Posts
    • 42,752 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Caron - sorry you've got this other problem on top of your "Basic" Health Problem stuff you have to cope with. Hopefully that one shouldnt last long. Thankfully the free prescriptions help. Same in this part of the country - and I remember commenting to a doctor that gave me one of the couple I've had since moving here "Oh well - at least it's free - now I'm over 60" and her response back was "It's free anyway - as they all are in Wales". I can never understand that one myself - as I do personally feel there should be an element of "Those that can afford to pay - do pay".

Thankfully there is the fallback position of "Those that can't afford to pay - but are living elsewhere in the country" can get a "season ticket" type prescription. Anyways - thankfully you've got what you need and hopefully all will be "sorted" soon and back to normal in that respect at any rate.

I remember a friend of mine some time back saying "What people don't realise is that I also get 'other' health problems on top of the Basic One". I saw her point.....

Lunch today - hasn't happened. It's one of "Those Days" today and an incident this morning has got me feeling absolutely livid - so lunch was a liquid lunch and I bought a "get out of jail free card" (aka chance of winning a fair bit of money - so I could sell this house and move back). Yep - one of Those Days....

So I've had a bottle of beer/don't think the exercising is going to happen today somehows/will get some music on and probably land up bursting in tears in a minute.

Trying to sit here firmly and "Count my blessings". Right:
    - own my own detached house (mortgage-free)
    - don't have to do a job for my income any longer (thankthelawd on that one Big Time)
    - not got any major health problems
    - not got any major "personal" problems (ie I'm "conventional" enough that that's not an issue for me....)
    - (keeps counting........)

Still thinking "I wouldn't mind a bit of Comfort Eating - as well as Comfort Booze - some clotted cream with summat/anything or a nice big chunk of cheese". You can tell what my definition of Comfort Eating is...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-04-2018 at 3:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

• RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

• I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• Follow Martin