PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So far today I've just had 3 squares of chocolate :)

I'll pop out in a bit .... that might involve sausage rolls, although it shouldn't.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    pineapple, table is set for tea!!! all welcome

Roomba robot has made a darn good job of cleaning up all the floor mess I left in the kitchen/dining area this morning. It was messy, crumbs and bits kept falling. Granola is now packed away 5 vac jars in the fridge and a decent amount added to the cereal box. One large brocolli head dismantled and washed and ditto large caulie, packed into two large vac jars in fridge. They will now keep nicely for a lot longer. Jars bought over 8 years ago, called tightvac

I still have to slice and freeze the lemon flavoured gold cake, did it in a loaf tin in a paper inner, saves greasing the tin. Somehow managed to squeeze date slices and parsnips into the freezer. I`ll have to push and shove to get the cake slices in

High tea will now be nut loaf, sliced tomato and cubed, fried and cold celeriac. I sat in the recliner just now and almost nodded off, would definitely have spoilt my sleep routine. Must have been that port and lemon I fancied a little while ago
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    I had visitors this afternoon who brought their new pup to see me. She's just 12 weeks old but a complete character already. She's keeping her big sister on her toes. They are both Labradoodles, the older dog is huge a real hound but the baby shouldn't be as big as Dad is a toy rather than standard poodle.
    They both had great fun exploring my garden in between having lots of cuddles. It made me very :D.

Lunch ended up being a quick cheese & pickle roll and I'm still not sure about tonight. My son is having a chippy before heading out with his mates but I didn't fancy one, though may end up having "something" and oven chips.

After a mega veg dicing session, the filling for the shepherdess pie is made and though I say it myself tasting rather good so I'm hoping everyone enjoys it tomorrow.:cool:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having done a big round robin .... I've accumulated lots of "random food purchases" as usual :)

A bar of chocolate and a bag of my favourite chocs.
    Sausage rolls, big bread rolls, 6 packs of crisps.
    T/mince x2.
    Jar of chilli sauce, eggs, 2 "shove in with meat" spice blend sachets.
    Spuds, carrots, small punnet of cherry tomatoes.

There are meals in there somewhere ... honest guv.

Then wondered what to eat and couldn't decide.... so I went with a jacket spud topped with beans and cheese. While that was cooking, I enjoyed a pack of crisps.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    In the event - I finished the last of the jackfruit dish with some sourdough bread for lunch.

Dinner - I made up an Internet recipe of "cream" of mushroom sauce with spinach in it and had it with pasta. Hmm....passable...which is just as well (as I have those infamous singles leftovers - again).

Right - must go and dollop on loads of handcream, etc - not sure if skin feeling very dry is down to having had central heating going on for so long and/or only the teeniest/tiny-est bit of oil in my diet these days.
  • caronc
    Options

Right - must go and dollop on loads of handcream, etc - not sure if skin feeling very dry is down to having had central heating going on for so long and/or only the teeniest/tiny-est bit of oil in my diet these days.
    Could be or lack of protein or Vit D or more likely just the end of the winter central heating and being out in the cold:)
  • caronc
    Options
    Having done a big round robin .... I've accumulated lots of "random food purchases" as usual :)

A bar of chocolate and a bag of my favourite chocs.
    Sausage rolls, big bread rolls, 6 packs of crisps.
    T/mince x2.
    Jar of chilli sauce, eggs, 2 "shove in with meat" spice blend sachets.
    Spuds, carrots, small punnet of cherry tomatoes.

There are meals in there somewhere ... honest guv.

Then wondered what to eat and couldn't decide.... so I went with a jacket spud topped with beans and cheese. While that was cooking, I enjoyed a pack of crisps.
    I could fair go a baked spud with cheese and beans :)but best not as I had cheese at lunchtime so don't want to push my salt intake too much:(
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GLAD
    - Just checked latest email from Pinterest of the boards I might be interested in. I collect suitable weekly meal plan pins for myself - and remembered "Hang on - they do a lot of clean eating meal plans" and thought you might be interested to take a look at that.

Pretty often meal plans will come complete with a shopping list.

NB; Always wise to read the article the Pin is for first in case. I was all set to save another meal plan pin this morning and clicked through to the article and it featured the 2 women doing this. Quick look at their photo - and I didnt save it after all (ie decided their meals might be fattening - as they're plump).

I've set up a 'clean eating' board to pin recipes to, do you have any favourites or good ways to search? :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • caronc
    Options
    I snaffled some of my son's chips :o(as you do:rotfl:) so dinner is a cajun spiced chicken thigh, flat mushroom and corn cobette:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2018 at 9:56PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Could be or lack of protein or Vit D or more likely just the end of the winter central heating and being out in the cold:)

I've checked out the protein content of this way of eating - and no worries on that front. There's a surprising amount in foods other than dairy products etc (and the meat and fish I don't have anyway).

Vitamin D - I take a supplement of that and Vit. B12 and kelp to be sure and certain I get my "nourishment".

It wasn't actually that cold - colder than I like - but not too bad today. It was just such a relief to see blue sky/sunshine again. I was grinning ruefully at Pastures' description of her swimming episodes as a child and thinking "That's part of the problem of why I hate bad weather so much - as I can remember episodes of swimming in sea that was actually reasonably warm (not British cold seas) and of days and days and days of sunshine at a stretch". Hence I don't find it easy being outside southern England (somewhere reasonably "sheltered") and, even there, am probably looking ruefully at the skies and wishing for better weather more often than some.

Guess that's why, funnily enough, I'm okay with (just a day or two at a time) of absolute downpour monsoon type rain and quite like it (as long as I'm indoors watching it out the window:rotfl:) - but not keen on "normal" rain and really dislike the frequency of "normal" rain here. Am contemplating whether I can add a verandah or something onto my house one of these fine days (and a fair bit of money later).....so that I could sit outside in the summer when I'd decided it was reasonable to expect to do so - but it was raining again....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback