PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 February 2018 at 9:56PM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I am looking forward to icicles, remember sucking them when children?

Such a busy bee this morning, went to next village shop, bought the essential baking powder, eggs, milk, emmental, butter and straight into baking prep when I got back. Triple the amount of granola so mixed it all in mixer. 2 bags of parsnips peeled and ready to part roast for freezer

Have made a big slab of date slice and in process used up 1 lb of ancient perfectly good dates in blocks. Cooling and will slice into nice satisfying pieces to freeze. Granola is waiting to bake, in 2 large tins. Gold cake, pork steak and newly part-cooked parsnips all in oven together, medley of green veg ready to cook. I am hot but cba to go upstairs and put a t shirt on. All available dishes either in dw or done by hand, still got room in dw so will put that on later, after oven is finished

I've had a busy kitchen day too :)
    half the beetroot cooked ready for lunch boxes, a large pot of soup made with lots of veg, lentils and a dollop of cream, that's made 4 large portions so some lunch and some cba dinners
    also made a vietnamese curry and that's made 4 portions too, one for tonight and 3 in the freezer
    I've riced a head of cauliflower, some in fridge, some in freezer
    whilst all this was cooking I've super cleaned my fridge :D

eta
    breakfast was overnight oats with banana and grapes
    lunch a portion of soup
    dinner was a portion of the curry with cauli rice
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2018 at 10:07PM
    Options
    Glad wrote: »
    I've set up a 'clean eating' board to pin recipes to, do you have any favourites or good ways to search? :)

I'm after slightly different to your parameters - as "clean eating" includes meat and fish (which I don't eat).

So I can't recommend any particular ones for that.

I think you are best doing the equivalent of what I do - which is to put a phrase that describes what I want up in the search bar at the top of the "page" and then hope I'll get some listings coming up for boards that focus specifically on what I want.

In your position I'd put in search term like, for instance, "clean eating meal plan" and you should get some listed off and you click on one board to start with.

You will find, after you've done this a few times, that you will get other related pins coming up beneath a specific "pinned page" you've decided you're going to save for your own Pinterest board. The "system" gets to know what info. you're asking for - and comes up with suggestions - and you'll likely find that some of the "pinned pages" down below the particular page you're currently "pinning" will also be of interest to you. And so on ad infinitum.

EDIT; I just put in "clean eating meal plan" and it came up with 3 boards:
    Clean eating meal plans/tip
    clean eating meal plans/recipes
    Clean eating/meal planning

That will be sufficient to start you off.

You'll soon find you get emails from Pinterest too suggesting boards you might like to visit (based on your tastes). Shortly after that will be emails telling you, for instance, "4 people have liked your board and have pinned one of your pins" and you can investigate their boards (ie to see if they've got any pins you like - but hadnt come across yet) and pin any of theirs you like.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My food is all clean .... I don't drop it on the floor before I eat it. . . simples!

:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 February 2018 at 10:51PM
    Options
    I've checked out the protein content of this way of eating - and no worries on that front. There's a surprising amount in foods other than dairy products etc (and the meat and fish I don't have anyway).

Vitamin D - I take a supplement of that and Vit. B12 and kelp to be sure and certain I get my "nourishment".

It wasn't actually that cold - colder than I like - but not too bad today. It was just such a relief to see blue sky/sunshine again. I was grinning ruefully at Pastures' description of her swimming episodes as a child and thinking "That's part of the problem of why I hate bad weather so much - as I can remember episodes of swimming in sea that was actually reasonably warm (not British cold seas) and of days and days and days of sunshine at a stretch". Hence I don't find it easy being outside southern England (somewhere reasonably "sheltered") and, even there, am probably looking ruefully at the skies and wishing for better weather more often than some.

Guess that's why, funnily enough, I'm okay with (just a day or two at a time) of absolute downpour monsoon type rain and quite like it (as long as I'm indoors watching it out the window:rotfl:) - but not keen on "normal" rain and really dislike the frequency of "normal" rain here. Am contemplating whether I can add a verandah or something onto my house one of these fine days (and a fair bit of money later).....so that I could sit outside in the summer when I'd decided it was reasonable to expect to do so - but it was raining again....

I have a covered deck (which sounds much grander than it actually is...;)) attached to the back of my house. It wasn't expensive to build and I love it especially living on the far from temperate West Coast. It means I can sit out on days that aren't so warm/dry though it's far from draught proof. It's probably one of the things I love best about my house:)
    PS - I meant being "out in the cold" generally rather than just today
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,259 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all. Up very early, ran out of sleep, but thinking about it I was nodding off at 10 so had 6 hours kip. Decided to get up and scout around Yorkshire looking for "lost rellies"

In the meantime, pot of tea made & slurped. Jumbo oats soaking ready for proper hot breakfast. It is still pitch black outside but must be cold, my CH came on in the night. I have it set, when officially timed "off" to fire up around 55F.

I did this after I came out of hospital, just in case I was on the deck unable to move and figured at least I would not die from hypothermia, and not having a pet to eat me I would be warm until found:)

May pop up to Morries later, been a while since I was in there, just for a mooch
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    money, kelp? iodine is only required in minute amounts, kelp, also contains heavy metals can iodine overdose and cause thyroid problems. Vit D, make sure it is cholicalciferol, I have been taking that in high dosage for 15 years, started with blood testing for grassroots health, international research

Ok I am ready to hibernate foodwise. I am having an easy food day. Breakfast, granola, walnuts, dried raspberries, cherries and kiwi later. Lunch definitely a pizza, sardine tomato etc and will put a rice/soya mix in the rice cooker for high tea with veg added near the end.
    edited 25 February 2018 at 8:45AM
    Options
    Further thoughts on Pinterest being that it's easy to make up a variety of boards for one's own particular interests. I've got several by now. It's wise to keep a list of one's own boards somewhere - but, if you have more than one board, Pinterests "asks" you which of your boards you wish to pin the new webpage you've found and wish to pin to.

So, for instance, you decide you want to make up your own board for exercise - then any time you "ask" Pinterest for boards on exercise - then your own one is the first on the list Pinterest will give you.

I do get a bit aggravated by the number of boards on which the "board founder" has put up the odd couple of pins on a totally different subject (eg I'm thinking "Oh look there's that same dress/bras/footwear again that I saw on this board/that board/t'other board etc - but it's not a board about clothing.").

A couple of odd pins have crept onto one or two of my boards as I've been too quick off the mark to select the correct one of my boards that I wanted to put the webpage on. But I decided it was much the best idea to start up a separate board for each of the topics I'm interested in.

I'll find out, at some point, whether there's a way to delete unwanted pins from my boards - logically there should be one.
    edited 25 February 2018 at 8:54AM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    money, kelp? iodine is only required in minute amounts, kelp, also contains heavy metals can iodine overdose and cause thyroid problems. Vit D, make sure it is cholicalciferol, I have been taking that in high dosage for 15 years, started with blood testing for grassroots health, international research

I'll google re types of Vit D and check.

The kelp is partly because I'm wondering about my iodine levels - I'm wondering if they are a bit low. My hair has gone from fine to "a bit flyaway" in recent years and I'm wondering where the outer third of my eyebrows/some of my eyelashes are. Also wondering why my face is a bit "round" recently - though that could be being a couple of stone overweight and it's just fat obliterating my nice high cheekbones I like.

I know I wouldnt dream of taking any drugs regularly ever. I've only ever done so once in my life (no choice about having to take The Pill regularly for a few years until I got sterilised and could drop that one). Being the 1970s - the choice was that or live like a nun (having my life ruined by unwanted children wasnt an option LOL).

So I'm seeing whether the supplements and super-healthy eating are all I need to start with...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 February 2018 at 9:03AM
    Options
    That food prep stuff gets on your teets doesn't it :)

Turkey mince in the SC. I'd bought and intended to use two packs, but went with one in the end.

It's taken nigh on 30 minutes just to: get the spuds out, pick out the two mankiest (as I'd be cutting them I can cut the manky bits out), put the rest into a green bag, dispose of old bag, put green bag in cupboard.

Peel, grate two spuds and rinse/shake.

Open the bag of carrots, get a couple out, peel, grate, wash up the grater.

Get out a couple of onions, peel, chop.

Put all that lot into the SC, open a jar of sauce and add it, give it a stir and put it on.

Then do the washing up.

Oh well, it's over now.

I'm unused to using any jars etc of sauce ... but I'm trying a few as they're easy ... and, at 59p or so, not really that much pricier than a tin of tomatoes and then having to have other spices etc in anyway.

Mince £1.50, sauce 60p, veggies 30p. Total pot about £2.40. It might go to four portions.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My hair has gone from fine to "a bit flyaway" in recent years and I'm wondering where the outer third of my eyebrows/some of my eyelashes are. Also wondering why my face is a bit "round" recently ..

oh money, it is the curse that overtakes us all, aging. I have the rounder paler face, drier skin, softer features and my hair has gone from thick glossy to thin with pink visible patches, so now I have to wear hair like Judi Dench. Hormones and other changes, natural so we should go with the flow but I know it is hard to accept. No turning back time
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback