PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've prepped tomorrow s tea, I chopped the lo chicken and put the diced roast potatoes in a dish with spicy tomato sauce, should be like potata bravas, I'll melt cheese on top , and a side of garlic mayo !!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    My family have been fed & watered and the shepherdess pie was a big hit, even with my Dad who usually feels a bit hard done by if there no meat/fish in a main meal. :) My sister made a yummy lemon & raspberry pavlova, the meringue was just exactly how I like it puffy & light but with a bit of chew in the middle. :D Suffice to say I'm feeling rather stuffed now. There is a portion of the pie left and my nephew will collect the remaining pavlova tomorrow, I'll sort out the LOs tomorrow and do a meal plan for the week.
    The youngsters did most of the clearing up and have headed to the pub and my Dad & sister have headed home. I'm ready to get into my pjs and slump in front of the telly. There is 1/2 a glass of wine left so it would be a shame to waste it.....:cool:
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    It's grey and not quite as cold as I thought it would be this morning ("just" -1C). No sun forecast for today ;).

My chores this morning are sorting out the kitchen and fridge. I also need to work out what I'll do with the LOs and spare pie mix/mash. I'll see how it goes but I might use some of the LOs to make soup as it's definitely soup weather:). I need to sort my my meal plan out for the week, I think it will be based around HM ready meals from the freezer as I seem to have quite a few in there:)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 February 2018 at 9:45AM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    My sister made a yummy lemon & raspberry pavlova, the meringue was just exactly how I like it puffy & light but with a bit of chew in the middle.
    Most ladies of our village who are above a certain age, fit an old style WI stereotype I'm afraid - even though the WI is supposed to be all bells and whistles now. It's partly why I have resisted signing up. But it has to be said - when we have the monthly Soup and Sweet at the village hall - they come into their own. The sweets in particular are restaurant class and one of my favourites is the pavlova.... :T
    Still waiting for The Beast from the East. I'm constructing a second door curtain for my leaky cottage door and getting in some tinned stuff in case of power cuts. The irony is - if I had got a higher power stove, I would have been obliged to install ventilation which, with these thick walls, would have been a nightmare job. But I already have 'natural ventilation' in spades :(
  • caronc
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Most ladies of our village who are above a certain age, fit an old style WI stereotype I'm afraid - even though the WI is supposed to be all bells and whistles now. It's partly why I have resisted signing up. But it has to be said - when we have the monthly Soup and Sweet at the village hall - they come into their own. The sweets in particular are restaurant class and one of my favourites is the pavlova.... :T
    Still waiting for The Beast from the East. I'm constructing a second door curtain for my leaky cottage door and getting in some tinned stuff in case of power cuts. The irony is - if I had got a higher power stove, I would have been obliged to install ventilation which, with these thick walls, would have been a nightmare job. But I already have 'natural ventilation' in spades :(
    A door curtain sounds like a good solution :)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Caronc that pavlova sounds lovely! I like a tart topping on sweet desserts, my dd1 makes nice chewy ones too:T

I've just finished cleaning, I've had the windows open , I'm sure I can still smell fish from sat!!!
    Sunny here with a perishing wind, I've closed the downstairs ones now, as it made my heating kick in! I've put so scented wax melts on to cover any lingering smells.
    I've got lo pasta from sat for lunch sans the fish!!
    Chicken and potata bravas for tea.
    Hopefully will have full store cupboard again by tonight.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Oats with almond milk, cinnamon and sultanas for breakfast.
    Farway wrote: »

MTSTM, how about Laverbread for iodine etc? You are in the right place for it, and dried, or even pick your own from the shore if near enough:money:

I always think that stuff looks so strange! :DI've no idea what it tastes like either?
    Not at all it was loosely based on this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10035/golden-veggie-shepherds-pie except I used less celery, a mix of carrots, swede and parsnips, white mushrooms and brown lentils. Basically what I do for ordinary shepherd's pie but swapping the mince for lentils.

That is delicious.:)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A door curtain sounds like a good solution :)
    I've already got one but it is too short and it is hung from a beam on the inside wall - a foot or so away from the actual door! It's the original frame and planked door and everything is ill fitting and wonky. The only way round it is to have a new frame and a nice new door. UPVC has been suggested :eek: So far I have opted to keep the character - along with the draughts.
    Joined the panic buyers this morning and got some water in case me pipes freeze :rotfl:. I even filled up the car in case fuel runs low. Plus some imitation Baileys nat....
    Word has it that The Beast from the East is approaching along the A66....:snow_grin
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,265 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 February 2018 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Morning all. bright & sunny, not venturing out today, nothing needed and I just "know" it is fffreezing outside, I can see the trees moving in the Siberian wind, and snow is falling not many miles away. Heating timer over ridden, I'll leave it on today

Yesterday's roasties turned out very well, and the lamb shank was a nice & meaty one. Being prepacked one is never sure if meaty or not until nuked and on the plate. My frozen veg turned out to be green beans & peas. I thought I had some cauli in there but wrong on that

Breakfast was HM yoghurt & honey. This batch of yoghurt seems a bit runnier than before, maybe my starter is weakening, I'll do another batch to check before I make a fresh starter

Lunch is planned as cheese salady sarnie

Dinner, plan so far is baked spud, using one just sprouting, so I'll gouge it's eyes out and use that. It'll warm the kitchen up as a by product

I think stuff with grated cheese and have with 1950s style salad, time to use some of it up before it is compost
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    edited 26 February 2018 at 1:54PM
    Options
    I try to avoid hand washing if I can though don't mind so much in the summer. I've done away with my whirlygig, getting the laundry to, from, on and off it is just more than I can manage now. Laundry is mainly dried over racks in the conservatory. I pop these on the deck in good weather.

My Dad popped by for a coffee and has solved what I was going to do with the LO pie & veg they're now his dinner tonight:). I'm surprised as that will be two veggie main meals in a row for him which is unusual to say the least.:cool:

Half of the LO lentil/veg mix has been popped in a pan with the LO gravy, some curry powder and a tin of chopped tomatoes for soup. I've had a taste and it reminds of tinned mulligatawny (in a good way) so that will be lunches covered for a few days. I'm for a bowl today with a cheese toastie :D.

I've still not decided what to have tonight, I've chicken thighs that need used or frozen so might do something with those.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback