Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twinsmum08
    • By twinsmum08 3rd Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    twinsmum08
    Warning: Exemplar Education
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    Warning: Exemplar Education 3rd Jan 18 at 11:52 PM
    Hope to warn other parents... I signed up to Exemplar Education for an online education programme for my children who are primary school age. I was naiive enough to believe the salesman who visited the house and told me " it's easy to cancel if you have a genuine reason like financial hardship or a health problem". His words helped ease my decision to sign up to a 3 year contract without realising that it is virtually impossible to cancel it!! My financial situation has changed (unexpectedly and for the worst) and I have tried to cancel and cannot!
    I've called them many times written and received a final response.. I've reported them to Trading Standards and the CAB and now going to the Financial ombudsman for help.
    So parents please be careful.. The leaflet came through the school so I thought the company truthworthy. Their customer services is a call back only service. No direct telephone number. If asked staff say they don't give the number out. That should give people an idea of what they are really like...

I know this sounds stupid.. Who doesn't read the small print.. At the time I was financially able to afford the payments so it was no problem.
    Exemplar are ruthless.
Page 1
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    I do hope you get it sorted.

I'm very disappointed to hear that your children's school circulated leaflets for what sounds like a disreputable company. I do hope you've told the school what's happened.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 4th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 4,340 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    Are there specific situations in which you're able to cancel and does your situation comply with this? Is it a credit arrangement that you're trying to cancel rather than an actual course?
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 4th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    Is it worth raising this with the school?. As you say they had the leaflets and may, possibly, be able to intervene with Exemplar for you
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 4th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1,785 Posts
    • 2,529 Thanks
    Indout96
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    I know this sounds stupid.. Who doesn't read the small print.
    Originally posted by twinsmum08
    Almost nobody, that's how these sort of people get away with it.
    They have page after page of small print, who has the time and sometimes the legal knowledge to read and understand it all.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 4th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    Hope to warn other parents... I signed up to Exemplar Education for an online education programme for my children who are primary school age. I was naiive enough to believe the salesman who visited the house and told me " it's easy to cancel if you have a genuine reason like financial hardship or a health problem". His words helped ease my decision to sign up to a 3 year contract without realising that it is virtually impossible to cancel it!! My financial situation has changed (unexpectedly and for the worst) and I have tried to cancel and cannot!
    I've called them many times written and received a final response.. I've reported them to Trading Standards and the CAB and now going to the Financial ombudsman for help.
    So parents please be careful.. The leaflet came through the school so I thought the company truthworthy. Their customer services is a call back only service. No direct telephone number. If asked staff say they don't give the number out. That should give people an idea of what they are really like...

I know this sounds stupid.. Who doesn't read the small print.. At the time I was financially able to afford the payments so it was no problem.
    Exemplar are ruthless.
    Originally posted by twinsmum08
    Write to them and include a link of bbc's watchdog. State that you are going to report them, giving reasons why if they are valid. I find that companies usually pay up pretty promptly when I mention BBC watchdog.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 4th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 3,277 Thanks
    barbarawright
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    Write to them and include a link of bbc's watchdog. State that you are going to report them, giving reasons why if they are valid. I find that companies usually pay up pretty promptly when I mention BBC watchdog.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact
    Originally posted by pearl123
    The Guardian has an excellent consumer column too that often sorts out these sort of issues.
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 4th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    Make sure you inform the school about this, they need to pay more attention to who they're allowing to use them for passing on leaflets. It might also appear that this company are approved of/endorsed by the school.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 4th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    chesky
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    !!!8220;Who doesn!!!8217;t read the small print!!!8221;

I know and I!!!8217;m just the same. With the exception of the cancellation clause. I always read just that.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 4th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 2,112 Thanks
    suejb2
    Exemplar
    Wow they don't look a good company.

They have had so many company name changes and insolvenies (sp)

I went online chat and asked Sarah for a contact telephone number. After a grilling why I needed it she gave me 0800 048 8692.

Good luck with stopping the contract.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 33,551 Posts
    • 28,509 Thanks
    custardy
    So what is your notice period?

If you have chosen the Exemplar subscription option then, subject to the notice period, you can completely stop using it and then re-start again subject to your requirements, but again we would stress that Exemplar is specifically there to help children improve and ultimately reach their full learning potential and erratic study habits would be detrimental to the effects of any tuition provided.
    • Spanishomelette
    • By Spanishomelette 4th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Spanishomelette
    The view from the other side!
    Wow, thank you for the warning, and I hope you get this matter sorted out very soon. The reason I am particularly grateful you have highlighted this is that I work for a school and these people have been phoning several times a day for weeks, originally just asking for the headteacher by name each time, never willing to leave a message or send details by email, but always sounding as if the head was expecting their call (oldest trick in the book, I know!). Then the calls became more friendly towards me, along the lines of "Hi Fred, this is Jane". So much so that I was wondering who the heck Jane was, did I know her? They actually pay schools a fee to send out flyers to parents, and apparently then offer a bonus for each child signed up. It all sounds very simple and innocent. I personally would be devastated if our school had agreed to send Exemplar's leaflets out and one of our parents was in your situation. As other people have said, do make your school aware of it.
    • sekky
    • By sekky 19th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sekky
    I am having issues with exemplar too. I was told i could stop anytime and continue later but it is so difficult to cancel now. i have been on the phone with them and its been so disturbing.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 19th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 3,588 Thanks
    sheramber
    from the FAQ page

Can we stop and re-start using Exemplar at any time?
    Yes. You purchase Exemplar outright, so it!!!8217;s yours to use as you feel appropriate, although we would strongly recommend introducing a regular study routine for each child to get the very best from your Exemplar programme.

Children should, on average, watch one or two lessons a week, but if they need to stop for a brief period such as a family holiday, that!!!8217;s fine. Although, please remember that your Exemplar is specifically there to help your children improve and ultimately reach their full learning potential.

If you have chosen the Exemplar subscription option then, subject to the notice period, you can completely stop using it and then re-start again subject to your requirements, but again we would stress that Exemplar is specifically there to help children improve and ultimately reach their full learning potential and erratic study habits would be detrimental to the effects of any tuition provided.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 21st Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 24,321 Posts
    • 51,374 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Wow they don't look a good company.

They have had so many company name changes and insolvenies (sp)

I went online chat and asked Sarah for a contact telephone number. After a grilling why I needed it she gave me 0800 048 8692.

Good luck with stopping the contract.
    Originally posted by suejb2

Their website gives 0800 1777 999 on the contact page.
    • UKSBD
    • By UKSBD 10th May 18, 3:36 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    UKSBD
    my lad came home from school with one of their leaflets yesterday which they wanted back in this morning.

I wouldn't fill it in and now he is feeling really pressurised by the school to hand it in tomorrow.

I'm not going to let him but now he is grumpy with me.

Schools shouldn't be allowed to presurise the kids like this
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 10th May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 5,662 Posts
    • 25,939 Thanks
    thorsoak
    Give the school a link to this thread ....and tell the school that you know that they receive a fee for sending out these flyers!
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 10th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    pearl123
    my lad came home from school with one of their leaflets yesterday which they wanted back in this morning.

I wouldn't fill it in and now he is feeling really pressurised by the school to hand it in tomorrow.

I'm not going to let him but now he is grumpy with me.

Schools shouldn't be allowed to presurise the kids like this
    Originally posted by UKSBD
    Whoever has given your son these leaflets needs to do their research.
    • ThomasH
    • By ThomasH 18th Jun 18, 1:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ThomasH
    Don`t Sign With Exemplar Education!
    My wife and I are currently going through a complains procedure with the Financial Ombudsman against this company Exemplar Education - I wish we had seen this thread or done some research before signing!! after signing up for a monthly subscription service we tried to cancel after a few months as the online tutorials and actual website is shoddy with a poor structure and ancient videos from New Zealand!

We were told that we could not cancel so we just cancelled the direct debit anyway, only to now be chased by a Finance company as Exemplar took out a loan for the full course amount 4600 without informing us meaning what we thought was a monthly service was in fact us repaying for a loan which we never agreed to!!

Terrible company who are miss selling their service! rip off artist DON`T SIGN WITH EXEMPLAR EDUCATION!!!
    there is now a Facebook page dedicated to parents who have been scammed - just search for Exemplar Education and its the Don`t Sign Page , please like and share any comments
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Jun 18, 10:14 AM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    At any rate, those of you who've been scammed can't say you haven't been taught at least one important lesson: do as much research as possible before parting with cash or signing anything that looks like a contract.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter