Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 10,062Posts
    • 62,840Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings
    • 1st Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings 1st Jan 18 at 11:51 AM
    Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all !!!8220;Happy New Year!!!8221;.

Let!!!8217;s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don!!!8217;t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn!!!8217;t lie and I couldn!!!8217;t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don!!!8217;t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don!!!8217;t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending !!!8220;to do list!!!8221;.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to !!!8220;do something!!!8221;. I wasn!!!8217;t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of !!!8220;Frumpdom!!!8221; has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has !!!8220;let herself go!!!8221;. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here!!!8217;s the good news .......it!!!8217;s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don!!!8217;t judge anyone here, we don!!!8217;t get into futile pointless arguments, we don!!!8217;t make nasty comments, we don!!!8217;t indulge in sarcasm, we don!!!8217;t bully others, we don!!!8217;t play mind games and we don!!!8217;t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let!!!8217;s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don!!!8217;t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That!!!8217;s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It!!!8217;s the first step on your journey.

Right I!!!8217;m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Page 20
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 10,062 Posts
    • 62,840 Thanks
    lessonlearned

Happy Birthday Maman....hope you have a wonderful birthday weekend and a fantastic holiday. I love Italy. Those two centre holidays look brilliant. DS2 did Venice and Rome last year.

Well it cant have escaped everyone’s notice that yesterday was International Women’s Day. Did it inspire you .........so many interesting things going on yesterday.

It made me stop and reflect a bit on how life has changed for women in the UK from when I was a young thing. How many opportunities there are, how many choices. All fantastic of course but with all this choice and opportunity there is a downside.

Far more stress.........

So ladies remember to keep fabbing. It protects us from the worst ravages of stress. Take a little time out each day for yourself. Today I shall be giving myself a manicure and pedicure. I shall do some exercise, I shall go for a walk, I shall cook myself a nutritious meal. Just a little self love and self care.

Remember .....we do not have to be perfect - we just have to be good enough.

The sun is actually shining here. .

Have a lovely day.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 9th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,560 Thanks
    chanie
    Happy birthday, maman I hope you have a wonderful time in Italy.

Today has been my first Friday to myself in what feels like ages, but I had my laser appointment and between the school run and travelling to the clinic, that!!!8217;s practically my day. I also popped in to see my Mum, as I haven!!!8217;t seen her for a few weeks,but it was just a quick pop in, as I had to get back for the children.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • chanie
    • By chanie 11th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,560 Thanks
    chanie
    Happy mother!!!8217;s Day everyone.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 10,062 Posts
    • 62,840 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Same to you Chanie.

Hope everyone has a great day. If you are not a mum then pamper yourselves anyway.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 11th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mother's and Step Mother's I hope you are taking time to have yourselves a lovely relaxing, pampering day
    • chanie
    • By chanie 11th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,560 Thanks
    chanie
    I had a nice Mothers Day and received some nice pjs and flowers from the children. We went to a Chinese buffet for lunch - it was the childrens first time and DS loved it, even in DD barely ate anything.
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 12th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

My elder son and my sister J both gave me £20 each for my Mother's Day. I am going to spend all of the £40 on myself.

It is so easy when you are on a tight budget to decide to be selfless and add cash presents to the family budget, but I need to keep pampering myself in small inexpensive ways that brighten up my days.

It is both depressing and stressful always having to juggle my budget to make it stretch for the whole of my family's needs.

I had a really lovely and relaxing day yesterday with my 2 children and my grandson. There was lots of talking and laughter.

It is back to the normal routine of washing/drying and housework for me today.
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 12th Mar 18, 6:53 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    Flo61
    Thought of the !!!8216;not saving things for best!!!8217; mantra when I saw this quote on another thread

!!!8216;If I had my life to live over again...I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage.!!!8217;
    Erma Bombeck, American writer

!!!8216;
    • chanie
    • By chanie 12th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 10,560 Thanks
    chanie
    Sugar that!!!8217;s a nice surprise from your family. I agree about not adding the money to your family finances. Have you thought about how you are going to use the money? You are savvy, so I look forward to reading about what you decide to do!
    Spend less - £495.13
    Live more - £1712.05
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 13th Mar 18, 8:18 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 20,576 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, feeling very tired lately. Have decided to go to bed earlier & get up earlier with DS, he usually wakes around 7am so it's not too early really, on early shifts at work I get up at 5am. I feel like I get more done when I get up a bit earlier but it's not natural for me, I'm more of a night owl.

I managed to get up with DS this morning & got more done and DS was happier as he didn't have to wait until 8am for his breakfast. We got out into the garden with DH late morning & got quite a few things done, including planting our seed potatoes.

I've still not booked an appointment for my facial so that's my job for this week. I'll try & get one on one of DH's days off but could also ask my mum to watch DS if it's not possible. I also need to confirm with my sister which date she wants me to come to her college class so she can practice her cutting on my hair. She's done it before & it was great, so I'm happy to be her guinea pig & best of all it's free.

I've been very lazy with my yoga & fell out of my good habits with it after having the norovirus. Will try & restart tomorrow night after DS is in bed & whilst DH is at work.

Maman I hope you had a lovely birthday & enjoyed Italy, it sounds amazing.

DS is very advanced for a 9 month old & bought me a bottle of blood orange gin for Mother's Day. It was very nice with some tonic after he was in his bed.

I bought some painted heather & lovely brightly coloured primroses for my mum for Mother's Day & potted them all up for her. She had dinner with us & I took her home with 3 bags full of potted plants. MIL enjoyed her box of toiletries & messaged to say she was hiding the in-shower moisturiser from her husband after trying it.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,467 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £51,166
    Loan £2328.49, CC 0% BT £1095, Car loans £22,226.11

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 13th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 19,585 Thanks
    misstara
    Sorry I've not posted for ages either. Not feeling particularly fabulous at the moment, I've reintroduced gluten into my diet in order to be retested for celiac at the end of the month so I'm currently constantly bloated and in pain, skin has broken out and really struggling with energy levels. I also have a horrible cold which isn't helping matters.

Anyway enough of feeling sorry for myself today I bought a beautiful bunch of ys flowers to cheer myself up . This evening I lit one of the nice candles I got for Christmas, watched the bake off with a g&t and painted my nails
    Last edited by misstara; 13-03-2018 at 9:50 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £726.18 (68.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £499.01 (37.4% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 6/60
    Emergency fund - £0/£1000. Car fund - £0/£1000.
    Mini Targets in June
    Exercise target - 3/16. Groceries target £93.68/£175. NSD target 7/20.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 14th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Chanie, I spent the £40 on buying a new pair of black leather Van Dal ankle boots and lots of Sanctuary Spa body scrub from eBay. I am looking forward to them arriving in the post.

I got another £15 for Mother's Day with a lovely card from my elder daughter yesterday. I had missed it on Saturday, so had to have it redelivered yesterday. I will soon find something for myself on eBay.

Sashybo and Tara, I hope you will both be feeling a lot better soon

I went to Karaoke last night and had a really good evening. I wore perfume and layered it with the matching body lotion and lip gloss.

I sang the following songs:

1. Can't take my eyes off of you by Andy Williams

2. Fever by Peggy Lee

3. Hurt So Good by Susan Cadogan

4. Return to Sender by Elvis

5. Dream Lover by Bobby Darin

I am going for a 2 course Indian meal with my daughter tonight and it comes with a bottle of Prosecco for us to share. It was a Groupon purchase so it was very good value for money.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

My daughter and I went to have our Indian meal at Chutney Jane on Borough High Street last night.

I had a starter of 4 tandoori chicken wings with a side salad and a main of 10 tandoori chicken wings with chips and a side salad (had not expected the chips as they were not listed on the menu) and pilau rice

My daughter had a starter of meat samosas with a side salad and a main of chicken biryani with a vegetable curry and keema naan

I swapped my chips for my daughter's vegetable curry and we shared the bottle of Prosecco. I do not normally drink alcohol, so I got tiddly pretty quickly, but the food helped to soak up the alcohol.

As the portions were quite generous, I ended up bringing 8 of my tandoori chicken wings home in a container that the restaurant was happy to provide. We got good service, but I did not leave a tip as I did not have the money to spare. It did make me feel guilty, but I had to keep the total cost of the meal at the £24 I had paid for the Groupon voucher for this meal.

This was our 1st visit to this restaurant, but we will certainly return later in the year.

I wore perfume and layered it with the matching body powder.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 4,568 Posts
    • 41,209 Thanks
    Floss
    Sugarbaby maybe a good review would be an acceptable alternative to the tip? After all that would help to generate future income
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 8,434 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Sugarbaby maybe a good review would be an acceptable alternative to the tip? After all that would help to generate future income
    Originally posted by Floss
    Great suggestion Floss. I have just given them a glowing review on Trip Advisor which they richly deserved
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 10,062 Posts
    • 62,840 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello lovely ladies..

Well it has been a funny old week. A bit up and down if I am honest. I have had a bit of a fibro flare up but thankfully that is settling again now.

My sister is playing the drama queen again. As we come up to their anniversaries she is posting her grief about losing our parents on face book, even posting a picture of me without my consent. I do wish she would refrain from this or at least not use my photo. If she wants to parade her emotions for the world to see that is her affair. I prefer to be dignified and keep things private. I will not say anything - it will only give her ammunition to call me cold and unfeeling again.

Little does she know that Stephen Hawkings death has triggered a whole host of emotions and memories for me. His condition was slightly different to my husbands but to all intents and purposes both the symptoms and the progression of their illnesses was identical. Both of them had great minds trapped in a body that no longer functioned. Both are free now. May their spirits soar.

I just find it baffling that my sister cannot understand and appreciate that I prefer to keep my thoughts and feelings private. Apparently if you do not weep and wail all over the place the way she does then you have a cold unfeeling heart.......hey ho. Thank goodness my boys understand me and feel the way I do. They too comport themselves with quiet dignity and courage.

What makes me angry though is I know it is all for show. I know what lies behind this public display of grief and angst and it sickens me to see how two faced and shallow she really is.

Ok rant over......I have got it off my chest now.....

Sashyboo and Misstara. We all fall off the wagon now and again. It is impossible to feel tip top all the time. We are only human so please do not torture yourselves for not reaching perfection each and every day.

This thread is not about being perfect. It is about accepting and loving yourself for what you are. Yes it is about being the best we can be but it is also about the realisation that none of us has a perfect life, we do not live between the pages of a glossy magazine. We are real people, with real worries and problems, real joys, real sorrows.

Sometimes we just have to step back a bit and maybe just coast along until we feel better and stronger. Self love and self care is not just about lipstick and mascara and new handbags, although of course those things are nice and make us feel good. Self love is knowing when to take our foot off the pedal, rest a little and when to just take time to reconnect with ourselves.

Sometimes a gentle walk in the fresh air, a warm bath and a few simple stretches can be just as beneficial as a full body work out. Just go at your own pace and if you need a couple of days off then take them and do not feel guilty. The world will not stop spinning because you skipped yoga for a couple of days. Just make sure the days do not turn into weeks. and, even then, if they do, well then just start again.

Remember in this life it is not how often you fall that matters, it is how often you get back up again that really counts.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 15-03-2018 at 1:49 PM.
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 15th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 5,750 Thanks
    pink poppy
    LL, my DH says (with tongue firmly in cheek) that there's no point in doing anything or going anywhere if people don't know about it... which pretty much sums faceache up
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 10,062 Posts
    • 62,840 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    LL, my DH says (with tongue firmly in cheek) that there's no point in doing anything or going anywhere if people don't know about it... which pretty much sums faceache up
    Originally posted by pink poppy
    love it.

And those people who post pictures of what they are eating in restaurants. What is that all about......
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 15th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 20,576 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi LL,

Sorry to hear about your sister’s behaviour. My sister likes to post nearly every thought & feeling on FB & it makes me cringe a bit, she also likes to post the big showy oh look how much I love so-and-so pictures & statuses. I find it all a bit much to be honest and feel it’s an attention seeking thing in her case.

I’ve just been feeling a bit fed up with everything at the moment, I know that yoga helps this but have still been dodging it. I will get back to it soon but all I really want to do is sleep & eat.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £10,467 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £51,166
    Loan £2328.49, CC 0% BT £1095, Car loans £22,226.11

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Mar 18, 8:08 PM
    • 10,062 Posts
    • 62,840 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Ah, Honey. I hope you feel better soon. Just rest and sleep and yes eat. Your body is talking to you so listen to it. Obviously try not to binge, but a little of what you fancy might make you feel better.

Sometimes we just need the chocolate or the piece of cake.. Ok not for nutritional value but because they make us feel better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin