Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• tracey3596
    Options
    "Germany is the leading breaker of EU rules"
    No other country seems to lecture EU states as much as Germany. But, embarrassingly, Angela Merkel’s government is in breach of European regulations more than anyone else.
    https://global.handelsblatt.com/politics/germany-leading-breaker-eu-rules-883837
  • cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    According to the link what he said wasn't quite what you say he said.

"a barely-concealed, almost sneering disregard"

However I do have a sneering disregard for patriotism, it's worthless and makes you do really really stupid things. I prefer doing the right thing for everyone and letting go of the xenophobia, it seems I'm in the minority.

There's nothing wrong with patriotism. Perhaps you are confusing it with nationalism.
  • tracey3596
    Options
    They're still trying to form a coalition in Germany; it looks like Merkel's in for a late night.
    If agreement is reached, here's a sign of how desperate they are to keep a fragile coalition together.
    Germany’s Constitutional Court is looking into the legality of the Social Democrats’ plans to vote on a final coalition deal with Angela Merkel’s conservative alliance after it received five challenges to the process. The court will determine whether plans to give the SPD membership a vote on the coalition agreement are in line with the principle of representative democracy, according to German media.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/germanys-top-court-to-rule-on-legality-of-spd-vote/
    It looks like someone is scared that too many of the 440,000 SPD voters might not agree with what the coalition might have thrashed out over these past weeks.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you got anything positive to say phillw?

Don't you understand - people voted to leave, they want out of the eu, I voted to remain (though I have since changed my mind). Personally, now that the eu have shown their true colours, I simply want out.

If we get a trade deal fair enough, but wto would not be so bad. with some of the countries we trade with it would actually be better - things like eu tariffs on Africa (eg 7.5% on roasted coffee) come to mind.

I certainly do not wish to stay in a customs union with a protectionist federal state.

If Spain and Gibraltar are anything to go on, they have never supported us anyway, they did nothing about Spain blockading the road into Gib, they did nothing about Spanish ships invading British waters, and it was not until 2006 that Spain deigned to allow flights to Gib from anywhere but Britain. They have even had their military jets overfly Gib airspace without even contacting flight control, again, something the eu did nothing about.

We are leaving.

You can include me out of your "We." You chaps don't represent me or anyone I associate with.

Good luck with Gibraltarian Freedom Alliance. Another Imperial throwback turned tax avoiders paradise I couldn't care less about.
  • tracey3596
    tracey3596 Posts: 661 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2018 at 8:40PM
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    You can include me out of your "We." You chaps don't represent me or anyone I associate with.

Good luck with Gibraltarian Freedom Alliance. Another Imperial throwback turned tax avoiders paradise I couldn't care less about.
    You're not a UK resident then? Or have you planned your move into the wondrous EU-land already?

Given your patently obvious horror at what being free of the EU's clutches will mean, surely you belong to one or the other of those?
    Because if not you are a citizen of the UK who has accepted that democracy prevails, meaning that - like it or not - you are included in "we".
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    In the absence of any news about the Brexit negotiations these pages are filled with news about the club we are leaving.
    Do you miss the EU already?
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • tracey3596
    Options
    Xenophobia describes the EU, not the UK.
    The EU are protectionist; is that not also xenophobic?
    Examples of some true EU xenophobia were posted earlier.

Whereas the UK and Brexiters in particular are outward-looking, wanting to embrace the wider world; that is certainly not xenophobic.
    That (again) would be the EU, prioritising their own over and above the rest of the world.
  • Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    However most people when they say they are patriotic do confuse it with nationalism. The leavers in the referendum weren't proud of their country for what it was doing, because what it was doing was being a member of the EU. The nuance between the two is pretty much irrelevant, but if you voted leave then you're a nationalist.

This whole Brexit process has been highly enlightening for a Leave vote like me. I had no idea that millions of UK citizens had such a negative view of British democratic institutions and such a deep rooted admiration for the mainland European equivalents.
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • tracey3596
    Options
    Tromking wrote: »
    This whole Brexit process has been highly enlightening for a Leave vote like me. I had no idea that millions of UK citizens had such a negative view of British democratic institutions and such a deep rooted admiration for the mainland European equivalents.
    Without actually wanting to sample these delights of mainland Europe themselves, you will note. ;)
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tromking wrote: »
    I had no idea that millions of UK citizens had such a negative view of British democratic institutions and such a deep rooted admiration for the mainland European equivalents.

I thought leave voters were the ones with a negative view of british democratic institutions, at least they said they voted against the establishment.

You appear to have learnt very little so far, but you'll get your chance with the punishment brexit being orchestrated by May and Rees Mogg.
    tracey3596 wrote: »
    Without actually wanting to sample these delights of mainland Europe themselves, you will note. ;)

Who says?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport