Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Agree, and the Luxembourg model seems to make it more politically acceptable for the public to spend more of their income on healthcare than the 'appears to be free' UK model.

Correct.
    That conversation was had in Luxembourg years ago.
    Britain has yet to have the big conversation about what is affordable and what is not. While it does not take place private health takes up more of the space and the more two speed health service you have.
    I love the concept of everything free at point of delivery but with the increasing cost, ageing population, less % of the population working, medical breakthroughs and people living longer EVERYTHING free to EVERYONE is impossible to maintain.
    Please Britain have that conversation before the NHS disappears.
    Very sorry off topic.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • gfplux
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    OFF TOPIC.

Sorry you dont understand what 80-95% free means.

Here is a simple example if it were applied in the NHS.
    You make an appointment with your GP. It will cost £20. Unless you are a special group like unemployed, retired or on social etc. However if it is 90% free you would pay £2.
    So do you get that is 90% FREE. If it were 80% free you would pay £4.
    However if you don!!!8217;t turn up you pay the £20. As every thing is linked they would not chase you for the £20 as the next time you wanted access anywhere in the country they would see you owed £20. Thats Luxembourg. It might not work quite like that in Britain. You know why.

So the example above translates in Luxembourg.
    Doctors appointment 15 my cost 14
    Prescription 14.10 my cost 12.41
    Full blood test 46.60 my cost 12.63
    Anti colestoral tablets 164.81 my cost 32.96
    Blood pressure tablets if I needed them my cost ZERO
    Etc etc.
    What I like is it makes you think about cost.
    So sorry that is what is called nearly free.

Sorry but editing problem. Every turns into some code !!!8216;

Sorry EVERYONE big mistake. I was going out of the door as I typed and mixed my figures.

Doctors appointment €15 MY COST €1
    Prescription €14.10 MY COST €1.69

Very sorry for the confusion
  • gfplux
    Options
    Well I should be surprised - but I'm not.
    It looks like some of the rabid Europhiles here might be (shall we say) a little lacking in intelligence maybe? (The rabid, not every pro-remain advocate.)
    Why do I think that?
    Well they can't tell the difference between a forecast or a claim and fact, for a start.
    Herzlos, phillw and those of a similar mindset who thank there posts on this page for example.
    If you're one of those and you find that wrong or even offensive you'll have no problem proving how by answering what I ask below, will you. ;)

For example, my mum told me that if I didn't eat the crusts on my bread that I'd have curly hair.
    (Because I know those mentioned have a difficulty with such things, that was a forecast or a claim if you will.)
    Well I didn't and guess what, I don't have curly hair.
    (There's your fact.)
    From where I stand that's no more ridiculous that your determination that Brexit will prove detrimental for the UK. For balance I don't believe that Brexit will lead to a "boom" for the UK either. The probability is that things will carry on pretty much as before but probably with a different balance, although at least once we are free of the clutches of the EU we will only have ourselves to either congratulate or blame.

Some posts ago Tracey asked for evidence of the predictions by experts regarding Brexit that have been proven to be right so far.
    It contained a list of examples where the experts have been proven wrong (take note phillw who says "and of course you can't substantiate your claims when they have been substantiated in that post) but so far no examples where the predictions of doom have been proven right.
    So where are they?

Are these posters also ignoring the fact that the UK continues to grow; has seen increased (in fact record levels of) employment; has seen record levels of inward investment; has seen increased productivity; is seeing increased wages; is seeing growing manufacturing and exports; and much more of a generally positive nature since the UK decided to leave the EU?
    Where is a similar list of negatives to Brexit that have been proven so far?

Again I say what I said above; if you find that wrong or even offensive you'll have no problem proving how by answering what I ask, will you. ;)
    And for once if you could do that without scorn and derision involved it might aid your case since facts speak for themselves, don't they.
    Now over to you for your facts.

Incredible,
    Welcome to the conversation.

Do remember we have not left the EU yet. That will take place either at the end of March 2019, end of December 2020 or some date later.

So comparing predictions of what WILL happen and the state of Britains economy today does not apply.

However below the surface things are happening that will either make Britain better or worse. I believe the latter.
  • gfplux
    Options
    Let the pro-EU faction move to the likes of Germany while they still can.
    That's in their beloved EU.
    It's so good there nowadays that a new fashion is necessary.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2018/02/german-women-in-fear-new-anti-rape-pants-sell-out-very-quickly/

That does not add to the conversation.
    I hoped you were better than that.
  • gfplux
    Options
    "From Poland to Austria and Hungary, a new nationalism and hostility to migrants are rife. What does the spread of ‘illiberalism’ mean for the rest of Europe?"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/03/europe-xenophobes-continent-poland-hungary-austria-nationalism-migrants

If there IS another election in Germany you might just see Germany deciding exactly this.

I thought we had all agreed that because Britain is leaving the EU discussion about the future of the EU27 was off topic.
  • gfplux
    Options
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    I live in Hertfordshire, just outside of London. I never mention where I work on here as it is public facing and I don't want someone coming into my place of work off the back of something I've mentioned on the internet. I do not work in the hospitality industry but I am a consumer of it. The last time I used a restaurant in London... Monday. The last time I stayed at a hotel in London... two weeks ago. As someone who lives nearby, I am a regular consumer of the facilities of London. My husband works in London, in the travel industry.

The reason I mentioned former eastern bloc countries is that I am acutely aware, having Hungarian friends, that they consider themselves CENTRAL European, so didn't want to use the lazy shorthand of calling everyone from the former soviet bloc countries Eastern European. I am sorry that you have been offended by that. The reason that I did that and mentioned I mentioned Mediterranean is that I was typing on a tablet so using shorthand languarge. You'll be pleased to hear I'm now replying on my laptop. So I will outline specifically the Mediterranean countries where I meet people from: Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, bizarrely rarely Greece given the state of their economy.

I have indeed met French and Italians working in hospitality in London, which is why I included the Mediterranian states. I have not met any Danish or Luxembourgers working in hospitality in London, ever.

For the record, I worked for about 25 years in London, I don't work there now. I worked with people from all over Europe (and to a lesser extent, the world) however these were not low paid jobs in hospitality. The people I meet in hospitality remain predominantly from the countries I mentioned. Could there be the odd Danish or Luxembourg citizen working in hospitality? Of course, it is a city of the best part of 8 million with multiple job offerings in the field, but most people I meet are not.

My post to which you appear to have taken exception, was merely responding to your earlier post, in which you stated:

My opinion is that those who are here are disproportionately skewed from a small number of countries whose economies, for the most part, do not allow as high a standard of living, or where youth unemployment is high.

Perhaps, given the lack of government data, some other people who are consumers in London will post what their experience is.

I was putting forward the view that not too many young Brits leave to work in European capitals in the way we see European youngsters working in the food and drink industry in London.
    We should not ignore the young Brits working in the party resorts in the sunshine. Hopefully they might pick up a few language skills.
  • gfplux
    edited 5 February 2018 at 4:35PM
    Options
    Lornapink wrote: »
    UK universities report 10% rise in applications from EU students.
    These Europeans are choosing to leave the EU to come spend years in the 'laughing stock' UK.

Now that is impressive news. Is that for academic year starting September 2018.
    Do you have a link.
    Thanks
    Found it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/feb/05/uk-universities-rise-in-applications-eu-students

It suggests a last minute rush, but still great figures 3% increase against a 5% drop last year.
    You can never knock an increase. My daughter got her degree and masters in Britain so I am a great supporter of young people traveling overseas to study.
  • Rough_Justice
    Options
    A couple of interesting reports on future EU funding that nobody seems to have commented upon.
    It looks like trouble lays ahead in the setting of the EU budget from 2020 onwards.
    Bulgaria denies eastern EU agreement on upping EU budget payments
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-europe-visegrad-funds/bulgaria-denies-eastern-eu-agreement-on-upping-eu-budget-payments-idUKKBN1FM1H0?il=0
    Brexit will RUIN Germany as UK taxpayers stop funding EU coffers - say Germans
    https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/914312/Brexit-Germany-UK-EU-European-Union-trade-business-politics-news-latest-Brussels-Berlin
    I post this one because it includes a video which explains that damage limitation to save the EU is why trouble might well lay ahead for a reasonable Brexit deal too.
  • Rough_Justice
    Options
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    My opinion is that those who are here are disproportionately skewed from a small number of countries whose economies, for the most part, do not allow as high a standard of living, or where youth unemployment is high.

Perhaps, given the lack of government data, some other people who are consumers in London will post what their experience is.
    Being a regular user myself, the first paragraph there I agree with absolutely.

The last, well I would.
    But looking at the posts on here it would be a waste of time since any input would either be ignored; classed as anecdotal and dismissed; or (and this looks most likely judging from recent pages in this thread) lead to determined objectors using taunting language.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure