Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Neither of those disprove anything.
    I'm not going to quote every pto-leave source that shows we'll be worse off. I don't have the energy and will power to try and argue with such a level of cognitive dissonance.

Some good things will happen due to Brexit (no idea what) and some bad things (as done to death). Which will be bigger? I know where my money is.

I really hoped someone could convince me about the glorious future of Brexit but to be honest I've wasted far too much time already.
  • Incredible_1
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Neither of those disprove anything.
    I'm not going to quote every pto-leave source that shows we'll be worse off. I don't have the energy and will power to try and argue with such a level of cognitive dissonance.

Some good things will happen due to Brexit (no idea what) and some bad things (as done to death). Which will be bigger? I know where my money is.

I really hoped someone could convince me about the glorious future of Brexit but to be honest I've wasted far too much time already.
    It disproves this and I hate to tell you this but it proves beyond doubt that when you said
    If you actually believe that then I don't know how to respond. Even the most fanatical leaver concedes that we'll be worse off, but at least claims it's worth it. I can handle that.
    it was a lie.
    They don't.

See my next post.
  • Herzlos
    edited 4 February 2018 at 8:03PM
    Options
    You are right; you're the first person I've seen who believed the UK will be better off. So some fanatical leavers must think we'll be better off.

Your first link attributes the huge growth in 2019 as the end of a huge slump due to uncertainty. Is that good overall or just some return from the bad?

Your 2nd link is from Jacob Reece mogg and is based on turning us into a sweat shop tax haven. From the first line "reduced regulation and lower taxes". Do you read the articles?

Do how do you reckon Brexit will be good for us in the short/medium/long term? Because I genuinely can't see how.
  • Incredible_1
    Options
    Well I should be surprised - but I'm not.
    It looks like some of the rabid Europhiles here might be (shall we say) a little lacking in intelligence maybe? (The rabid, not every pro-remain advocate.)
    Why do I think that?
    Well they can't tell the difference between a forecast or a claim and fact, for a start.
    Herzlos, phillw and those of a similar mindset who thank there posts on this page for example.
    If you're one of those and you find that wrong or even offensive you'll have no problem proving how by answering what I ask below, will you. ;)

For example, my mum told me that if I didn't eat the crusts on my bread that I'd have curly hair.
    (Because I know those mentioned have a difficulty with such things, that was a forecast or a claim if you will.)
    Well I didn't and guess what, I don't have curly hair.
    (There's your fact.)
    From where I stand that's no more ridiculous that your determination that Brexit will prove detrimental for the UK. For balance I don't believe that Brexit will lead to a "boom" for the UK either. The probability is that things will carry on pretty much as before but probably with a different balance, although at least once we are free of the clutches of the EU we will only have ourselves to either congratulate or blame.

Some posts ago Tracey asked for evidence of the predictions by experts regarding Brexit that have been proven to be right so far.
    It contained a list of examples where the experts have been proven wrong (take note phillw who says "and of course you can't substantiate your claims when they have been substantiated in that post) but so far no examples where the predictions of doom have been proven right.
    So where are they?

Are these posters also ignoring the fact that the UK continues to grow; has seen increased (in fact record levels of) employment; has seen record levels of inward investment; has seen increased productivity; is seeing increased wages; is seeing growing manufacturing and exports; and much more of a generally positive nature since the UK decided to leave the EU?
    Where is a similar list of negatives to Brexit that have been proven so far?

Again I say what I said above; if you find that wrong or even offensive you'll have no problem proving how by answering what I ask, will you. ;)
    And for once if you could do that without scorn and derision involved it might aid your case since facts speak for themselves, don't they.
    Now over to you for your facts.
  • tracey3596
    Options
    You are right; you're the first person I've seen who believed the UK will be better off. So some fanatical leavers must think we'll be better off.

Your first link attributes the huge growth in 2019 as the end of a huge slump due to uncertainty. Is that good overall or just some return from the bad?

Your 2nd link is from Jacob Reece mogg and is based on turning us into a sweat shop tax haven. From the first line "reduced regulation and lower taxes". Do you read the articles?

Do how do you reckon Brexit will be good for us in the short/medium/long term? Because I genuinely can't see how.
    Now you're just talking carp, aren't you?
    Squirming because you got proven wrong.
    Try reading correctly yourself because you missed from the JRM report : "an opinion that attracted a direct if brief endorsement from the Department for International Trade".
    Despite me quoting it!
    Was it a Specsavers moment?
    :rotfl:
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=Herzlos;73830566

[/QUOTE]

Why the focus on growth. Growth means very little to the man on the street. As not what will change their lives.
  • tracey3596
    Options
    "UK better placed to cope with Brexit than I thought, admits former Tory Treasury minister and leading Remainer"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/01/22/uk-better-placed-cope-brexit-thought-admits-former-tory-treasury/

'In three to five years from now, my bet would be that England will be better off than continental Europe'
    Mathias Doepfner, a German says here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/07/brexit-success-story-leaders-lost-plot-uk

A group of experts says the economy would be stronger after a Brexit and dismiss Treasury warnings as "totally misleading".
    https://news.sky.com/story/uk-better-off-outside-eu-economists-say-10260906

Just a few more for Herzlos (to go with my earlier links) who says that I'm "the first person I've seen who believed the UK will be better off".
  • Incredible_1
    Options
    Let the pro-EU faction move to the likes of Germany while they still can.
    That's in their beloved EU.
    It's so good there nowadays that a new fashion is necessary.
    German women in fear: New anti-rape pants sell out very quickly
    https://voiceofeurope.com/2018/02/german-women-in-fear-new-anti-rape-pants-sell-out-very-quickly/
  • Herzlos
    Options
    Germany is where I'll most likely end up in the event of a hard Brexit. Along with my job and taxes.
  • Incredible_1
    Options
    Talking of Germany, you know the prospective coalition said talks would be over and done by today (Sunday)?
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-02/merkel-bloc-spd-still-face-heavy-lifting-in-coalition-talks
    Well no, they aren't.
    Negotiations between the CDU/CSU bloc and the Social Democrats (SPD) saw significant progress on Sunday but the two parties were still "far apart" on several issues, SPD General Secretary Lars Klingbeil said.
    http://www.dw.com/en/german-coalition-talks-adjourned-set-to-continue-monday/a-42450453
    Then if they do agree the SPD have to vote and accept first.
    A no-deal will lead to another election and the probability of gains for the far-right AfD.
    And some think May has problems.
    Ha, a walk in the park compared to that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure