Halifax Car Insurance Procedures Refuse to Amend Inaccurate Statement of insurance

Options
2e0arr
2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 16 November 2013 at 5:56PM in Insurance & life assurance
Halifax Car Insurance Procedures
Refuse to Amend Their Inaccurate Documents

Hi on Monday 16th of November while reversing my car into my drive way another car mounted the curb drove onto the pavement, clipping the rear offside of my car under the back bumper . His car has damage above the offside wheel and rear door. I took pictures of both cars in position and video'd the cars and the other driver and his passenger.

I telephoned Halifax to report the occurrence and stated that the damage is almost unnoticeable on my car so i have no intention on making a claim.
Details were taken and I was put through to Ageas who deal with the claims. Details were taken and i was given information how to email and or post pictures and the videos.

Next day a claim form arrived which I completed and returned with pictures taken at the incident.I also emailed links to youtube for the videos.

Today I received a letter From Halifax containing a Statement of Insurance.

On examining this the incident on 11/11/2013 is listed
Here is the inaccuracy on the statement of insurance, its says ,,,,,,,,
At fault? Our Driver
I immediately telephoned Halifax who explained that it is their procedure when fault has not been established to put Our Driver at fault.

It might be their procedure but the fault has not been established By Halifax or Ageas (who I also spoke to today) on their behalf so the document is inaccurate. I want the words Our Driver replaced with appropriate accurate words.

Halifax have just called me back and they have said they have followed their procedure.

I anticipate that this document will be available to be seen by other Insurance companies including the (other drivers Insurance Company).

In January my car Insurance will be due for renewal. I will be using MSE to find the best possible deal for car insurance.

Could this inaccurate information have been placed on on my statement of Insurance so that I may have difficulty getting a better deal with another company, thus tying me to Halifax?

I have not been found at fault and I have not been found at not at fault.

This new statement of insurance shows me as at fault.

Halifax have told me it's their procedures.

Do Halifax Car Insurance believe the customer is always right until their Customer has reported an incident ?

Halifax Car Insurance believe I am guilty until they prove I am guilty.

Halifax Car Insurance believe I am guilty until they prove I am not guilty.

Halifax Car Insurance believe I am guilty until their agents Ageas prove I am guilty.
Halifax Car Insurance believe I am guilty until their agents Ageas prove I am not guilty.
Halifax Car Insurance believe I am guilty until I prove I am not guilty.

Halifax Car Insurance have sent me an inaccurate Statement of Insurance with false Information and refused to amend and withdraw it .

On the evidence of my experience so far I would not recommend Halifax Car Insurance.

All I want is two words in an inaccurate Statement to be replaced with appropriate accurate information.

Please if you can help me to get Halifax Car Insurance to amend this false statement, please reply or discuss.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Send them a formal written complaint. Their complaints procedure will be set out in the policy documents.

Escalate to the FOS if you're unhappy with the reply.
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Send them a formal written complaint. Their complaints procedure will be set out in the policy documents.

Escalate to the FOS if you're unhappy with the reply.

Thank you for this. I made a formal complaint this morning and they just quoted procedures to me and i believe it will be the same if i put it in writing.

I think i will be on the phone to the FOS, FINANCIAL OMBUDSMANS SERVICE on Monday and have a chat.

I haven't been down this road before. I quick look at the FOS site and i have to follow the companies complaints procedure and they have so long a to answer or resolve to my satisfaction then I can approach the FOS direct.

I understand that if I eventually get to the FOS without it being resolved that Halifax Car Insurance has a fixed fee to pay whether they are right or wrong.

I need to do more reading
  • Quentin
    Options
    2e0arr wrote: »
    Thank you for this. I made a formal complaint this morning and they just quoted procedures to me and i believe it will be the same if i put it in writing........

.....I need to do more reading

Your "formal" complaint won't have been made in line with the correct procedure (which will require a written one).

Read up on the complaints procedure in your policy docs.

Then await their reply (or allow 8 weeks for it) before you can escalate to the FOS.

You are correct, any costs over the complaint will fall on Halifax, even if they are found to be correct in their actions, so you have nothing to lose.
  • TSx
    TSx Posts: 851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your "formal" complaint won't have been made in line with the correct procedure (which will require a written one).

Read up on the complaints procedure in your policy docs.

Then await their reply (or allow 8 weeks for it) before you can escalate to the FOS.

You are correct, any costs over the complaint will fall on Halifax, even if they are found to be correct in their actions, so you have nothing to lose.

There is no need for the complaint to be made in writing. The FCA definition of a complaint is

"‘Any expression of dissatisfaction, whether oral or written, and whether justified or not, from or on behalf of an eligible complainant about the firm’s provision of, or failure to provide, a financial service’."

A complaint is equally valid if registered in writing or over the phone, and any financial company should treat it the same way.

I would ring them back and just ask them to confirm they have registered the complaint as you are looking to take it to the FOS and need a final decision from them. You may wish to follow this up in writing, but you want to try and get this resolved as soon as possible (before the renewal ideally) so getting the '8 week clock' started as soon as possible is important.
  • Quentin
    Options
    TSx wrote: »
    There is no need for the complaint to be made in writing......

You are right, and of course Halifax do accept oral complaints.

But bearing in mind "Halifax" is (another) budget (bisl) trading name, not renowned for their cs, it's too easy for them to deny the "complaint" was formal. For the cost of a stamp, sending a letter and getting proof of posting does date stamp the start of the procedure, with no room for the insurer to squirm out of it by claiming "no formal complaint was received".

(The OP will find out anyway if the unresolved oral "complaint" has been registered as such as BISL are bound to acknowledge it in writing as unresolved! Should he get this, then the clock started today)
  • nickbeee
    Options
    For the cost of a stamp, sending a letter and getting proof of posting does date stamp the start of the procedure, with no room for the insurer to squirm out of it by claiming "no formal complaint was received".

Good advice, but I would like to add - send it "signed for" (or even Special Delivery) rather than just proof of posting. That way you have a named recipient if they deny receipt.
    Just broke, even.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Signed for is belt and braces. But......

The problem with using recorded delivery (apart from the cost) is they can refuse to accept it!

Proof of posting is accepted by the courts as evidence a letter has been sent, and equally acceptable to FOS.
  • nickbeee
    Options
    Signed for is belt and braces. But......

The problem with using recorded delivery (apart from the cost) is they can refuse to accept it!

Proof of posting is accepted by the courts as evidence a letter has been sent, and equally acceptable to FOS.

Thanks for clarifying that. Are FAXes also considered acceptable these days?
    Just broke, even.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Yes .
  • Peteholl89
    Options
    I always thought that whilst a claim was open/ongoing that both drivers would have this listed as a fault claim . Then once one firm admits 100% liability this would allow the other firm to recover all of their invested capital. Then and only then may the driver disclose this as a non-fault claim. I was given this information by an insurer. Someone please tell me if I am wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure