Halifax Car Insurance Procedures Refuse to Amend Inaccurate Statement of insurance

Options

Comments

• rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 November 2013 at 6:56PM
    Options
    2e0arr wrote: »

But what is printed is factually inaccurate , the truth of the situation is missing and their words show me at fault.

Just change it in ink and post a copy back to them.

[Text removed by MSE Forum Team]
  • mills705
    Options
    Halifax are 100% correct in what the have put. Any claim where the underwriter are yet to receive ALL of their losses back then it will remain as fault.
    In the case of the op it seems she has made notification of a loss ie a damaged vehicle. In this instance the claim will be down as fault for a period of time until they deem no approach had been made by a third party. This is usually about 6 months.

The insurance industry has two ways of describing claims... Fault and non fault. This does not necessarily apportion blame but it's more monetary to which these apply. Non fault means that the insurer receives 100% of the money they have paid out back. Fault means that they have had to pay something out for the claim. I personally don't the words fault non fault are great words to use!
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mills705 wrote: »
    Halifax are 100% correct in what the have put. Any claim where the underwriter are yet to receive ALL of their losses back then it will remain as fault.
    In the case of the op it seems she has made notification of a loss ie a damaged vehicle. In this instance the claim will be down as fault for a period of time until they deem no approach had been made by a third party. This is usually about 6 months.

The insurance industry has two ways of describing claims... Fault and non fault. This does not necessarily apportion blame but it's more monetary to which these apply. Non fault means that the insurer receives 100% of the money they have paid out back. Fault means that they have had to pay something out for the claim. I personally don't the words fault non fault are great words to use!

I have to disagree because as a layman I think it is reasonable to consider that if they put a form of words on a document then those words have to be accurate. For example if a judge asked them today was mr X at fault they would be unable to answer yes today and so on that basis why do they print Fault ? Our driver . I consider that they should only put on words and meanings that are accurate. It will be interesting to see how the FOS will deal with this and how Halifax will give their final response. I have to say the person at the FOS who spoke to me was very helpful and informative.
  • 2e0arr
    edited 19 November 2013 at 12:32AM
    Options
    Oli.s wrote: »
    Maybe the third party has claimed?

The third party told me he will be letting his insurance sort it out and I have it on one of four videos links i have submitted to Ageas of him saying this to me.

Ageas have told me they have had an enquiry from royal sun alliance the other partys insurance company along the line of have I reported the incident.

Halifax customer service telephoned me this afternoon and informed me that they have handed my complaint to their Customer Relations team because it has gone to the FOS.and they will also be taking over my complaint about the attention I received form Halifax customer service team on Saturday.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    2e0arr wrote: »
    Halifax customer service telephoned me this afternoon and informed me that they have handed my complaint to their Customer Relations team because it has gone to the FOS.and they will also be taking over my complaint about the attention I received form Halifax customer service team on Saturday.
    More incompetence. It should have gone there when you first expressed dissatisfaction.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    the main issue here is, is that statement available to other insurers to see and would this be deemed a fault accident to the new insurers even though liability hasn't been established at this time as this document doesn't imply that liability has not been established it implies that your at fault.

so what does the OP declare to other insurers for quotes?

the statement is misleading IMHO to the of the OP's status to other insurers.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    More incompetence. It should have gone there when you first expressed dissatisfaction.
    Not if the part of the business receiving the complaint felt that they had dealt with it.
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    the main issue here is, is that statement available to other insurers to see and would this be deemed a fault accident to the new insurers even though liability hasn't been established at this time as this document doesn't imply that liability has not been established it implies that your at fault.

so what does the OP declare to other insurers for quotes?

the statement is misleading IMHO to the of the OP's status to other insurers.

Thank you for seeing my point. If they had decalred this publically and i was eventually absolved of fault then as a layman i think I would have an actionable case in law against them for printing inaccurate information about me.

Without wanting to be dramatic I'm trying to find an analogy to explain what i mean. So say I have been involved in a fatal accident and an insurance company publicly released a document with "Fault ?" "Our driver". Could this be interpreted by the public that I was responsible for a fatality ? And this document has been released before the insurance underwriters have decided fault, before the Police have decided fault and before the Coroner has decided fault.?
  • 2e0arr
    Options

I cannot disagree

I just had a telephone call from Halifax customer relations team. He said it was in response to my written notification of my formal complaints and my intention to request an investigation by the Financial Ombudsman Service .

He endeavoured to explain about their procedures and I endeavoured to explain that the words used on the statement of insurance are inaccurate and information was missing.

When I asked about my formal complaint about the attention I received when I telephoned Halifax three times on Saturday he answered that he knew of it and he had not any information about that and it was under investigation still.

I also mention that as a Virgin Media calling an 0844 or 0845 was abut 10.22p a minute he did say that he may consider the costs in telephone calls I have incurred.

His telephone call did not resolve any of my complaints.

When I asked is this telephone call Halifax's final answer on my complaints he said no and he would be passing it to another colleague to investigate.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    .......so what does the OP declare to other insurers for quotes?........

If moving insurers then any "open" claim where liability hadn't been formally accepted would be treated by the new insurer as a fault claim. Equally, a canny MSEer would get an agreement from the insurer so they got a refund if the claim was subsequently resolved in their favour.

As far as the OP goes, maybe "open" or "unresolved" would be a better choice of words although practically I suspect it makes no difference
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure