Halifax Car Insurance Procedures Refuse to Amend Inaccurate Statement of insurance

Options

Comments

• 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 November 2013 at 4:40PM
    Options
    vaio wrote: »
    If moving insurers then any "open" claim where liability hadn't been formally accepted would be treated by the new insurer as a fault claim. Equally, a canny MSEer would get an agreement from the insurer so they got a refund if the claim was subsequently resolved in their favour.

Thank you that sounds like good advice. I insured with Halifax through the MSE site

As far as the OP goes, maybe "open" or "unresolved" would be a better choice of words although practically I suspect it makes no difference

Thank You. I agree with unresolved. It has crossed my mind that anyone who has been involved in an accident where there have been fatalities would see the terms "Fault ? " "Our driver" as a real kick in the teeth conscience wise even if they are blameless. It does not empathise.
  • mills705
    Options
    Your complaint is not going to change an insurance industry norm!
    We have claims that are fault and non fault. If it's open and not resolved then it's fault simple as. Your insurer COULD have to pay out to fix your car or a tp car/ property so it will stay that way until liability is settled. Even if the tp accepts liability then until the cheque is cleared the it will be fault. We sometimes have insurers allowing us to close claims early it's out of their good will.
    I do agree with you that the word fault does apportion blame in our minds but it's more to do with money that's all the under writer cares about.
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    mills705 wrote: »
    Your complaint is not going to change an insurance industry norm!
    We have claims that are fault and non fault. If it's open and not resolved then it's fault simple as. Your insurer COULD have to pay out to fix your car or a tp car/ property so it will stay that way until liability is settled. Even if the tp accepts liability then until the cheque is cleared the it will be fault. We sometimes have insurers allowing us to close claims early it's out of their good will.
    I do agree with you that the word fault does apportion blame in our minds but it's more to do with money that's all the under writer cares about.

Thank you for your reply and your comments.

The situation currently is that I am awaiting a final response form Halifax If that response includes a replacement set of documents including a Statement of Insurance with accurate form of words then i have no problem.

Halifax also have to respond about the action of their customer service department last Saturday towards me.

If their final response is none of the above then i will proceed to initiate an investigation by the FOS.

What kind of final response do you think Halifax will make to me based on your industry knowledge ?.

If I am unhappy with the response from Halifax I will go to the FOS.

Do You know if the FOS can recommend, insist or rule that Halifax re word their documents so that they reflect the accurate situation of an accident insurance process rather than industry jargon phrases using inaccurate wording that are used ?
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2e0arr wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply and your comments.

The situation currently is that I am awaiting a final response form Halifax If that response includes a replacement set of documents including a Statement of Insurance with accurate form of words then i have no problem.

Halifax also have to respond about the action of their customer service department last Saturday towards me.

If their final response is none of the above then i will proceed to initiate an investigation by the FOS.

What kind of final response do you think Halifax will make to me based on your industry knowledge ?.

Do You know if the FOS can recommend, insist or rule that Halifax re word their documents so that they reflect the accurate situation of an accident insurance process rather than industry jargon phrases using inaccurate wording that are used ?

Seeing as nearly every other insurer i know of would word it exactly the same then i very much doubt it.

Halifax have done nothing wrong they are just doing what everyone else does and has been doing for yonks!
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As above, the wording will make no practical difference but just because all insurance companies do it that way doesn't make it right.

There are lots of instances of the financial services industry assuming that because "they've done it for yonks" it's ok but then an investigation by the FOS/FSA/fraud squad put them straight and it gets changed.

Stating "our driver at fault" when liability hasn't been established/accepted is just plain wrong and should be replaced by something like "claim open" or "unresolved" even though it will make no practical difference
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    Faith177 wrote: »
    Seeing as nearly every other insurer i know of would word it exactly the same then i very much doubt it.

Halifax have done nothing wrong they are just doing what everyone else does and has been doing for yonks!

You may be right but can you answer the questions I posed please ?

"What kind of final response do you think Halifax will make to me based on your industry knowledge ?."

"Do You know if the FOS can recommend, insist or rule that Halifax re word their documents so that they reflect the accurate situation of an accident insurance process rather than industry jargon phrases using inaccurate wording that are used ?"
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    As above, the wording will make no practical difference but just because all insurance companies do it that way doesn't make it right.

There are lots of instances of the financial services industry assuming that because "they've done it for yonks" it's ok but then an investigation by the FOS/FSA/fraud squad put them straight and it gets changed.

Stating "our driver at fault" when liability hasn't been established/accepted is just plain wrong and should be replaced by something like "claim open" or "unresolved" even though it will make no practical difference

Thank you . You have the gist of what im saying, the document issued to me is inaccurate with information missing. They should not issue inaccurate documents. The document itself tell me to telephone them if something is wrong or information missing. Halifax's telephone setup tells me I have to give them accurate information etc.

I wonder will this document be in the public domain ?
    Will other insurance companies be able to see it online ?
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The FOS can make insurers do just about anything.

I doubt the document would be in the public domain but in any event, as mentioned earlier, insurers faced with an open claim will cover themselves by assuming it will turn out to be fault, the trick for you is to make sure you have an agreement to get a refund if (when) it is resolved in your favour
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    The FOS can make insurers do just about anything.

I doubt the document would be in the public domain but in any event, as mentioned earlier, insurers faced with an open claim will cover themselves by assuming it will turn out to be fault, the trick for you is to make sure you have an agreement to get a refund if (when) it is resolved in your favour

Yes I have picked this up about the refund thanks for reminding me.

Will an insurance company I'm with give me a renewal quote in advance of the existing policy running out ? Is there a maximum time period I wonder before they will issue a renewal quote?

I have made subject access requests in the past and whilst I have received information I believe I can insist that any information or data held by a company is and has to be accurate and if not they must correct it under the data thingy law if I request a correction ?.
  • mills705
    Options
    In my industry experience a claim is non fault or fault... non fault claims are only put to non fault once the insurer receives 100% of the money they have paid out.
    As for what they will say in regards your complaint? well I think they will understand the confusion as not many people understand the fault/ non fault meaning- ie they think its blame when its not. However this is an industry practice so they wont be changing over night.
    You must also remember that Halifax is a broker so even if you report a claim to them in the first instance any further communication is between you and the underwriter. Halifax receives limited information themselves regarding claims and will issue the renewal based on what they get from the underwriter.
    Has the claim been settled yet?! If the TP has admitted liability and your underwriter can claim their losses back you MAY be able to get them to close the claim early if it is non fault if you explain its near your renewal. which means only a non fault accident would show.
    If you do renew under a fault claim- yes you can sometimes receive a refund when the claim is settled. This will vary depending on the underwriter mind- as some do increase premiums for non fault claim. but it shouldnt be as much as a fault claim.
    I recently dealt with something along these lines at work and the bloke got quite a hefty refund! However his policy was expensive to start with!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure