Halifax Car Insurance Procedures Refuse to Amend Inaccurate Statement of insurance

Options
12346»

Comments

• 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 November 2013 at 4:20PM
    Options
    mills705 wrote: »
    !

Thank you for your reply. I value the comments that have come from people with experience of the motor insurance industry.

I cannot disagree with most of what you have typed.

I do consider I am in the majority of people who are customers of the motor insurance industry who would have interpreted the comments as I did. I think that as a customer I should expect clear understandable none jargon words and explanations. That feedback alone should be taken on board by the motor insurance industry,and yes I don’t think my complaint will change anything. Maybe the FOS can send a message for clarity that I cannot get across.

I don’t think that the Motor Insurance Industry are customer focussed, in all my dealings with Halifax they have made me feel that they are doing me a favour by selling me their policy and that they do not trust anyone.

As for Halifax they appear to be oblivious on how to deal with customers and seem to talk in jargon all the time.

My complaints to Halifax are the (1) Fault ? Our driver. (2) They had shelved my complaint with no action planed until FOS. (3) The cost of calling their 0844 0845 numbers at 10.22 p per minute.

Regarding renewal prices I use the internet to get the best price because if I change companies i often get a new customer discount on top. I anticipated that if I had not had an accident I would have had received a renewal a few weeks before expiry. With this price I would have looked around for the best price to beat it like for like and then gone back to Halifax and offered them match this or sorry I’m moving.

I anticipate my claim will still be unresolved before renewal. I will flag up my fault? Our driver, to other insurance companies and ask what difference in price this Fault ? will have made and then request a refund if I am absolved etc.

As far as the “claim” is concerned, I have just telephoned my underwriters. Latest is they have contacted the third party insurance company who have replied that they are unsure whether the third party will make a claim against me. The third party live on my street and for about 6 days another similar sized car has been parked in place of the car involved. I'm not sure if its a loan hire car or a replacement new model. I consider that the damage to their vehicle would need a day at a body shop at most.
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    2e0arr wrote: »
    The third party live on my street and for about 6 days another similar sized car has been parked in place of the car involved. I'm not sure if its a loan hire car or a replacement new model. I consider that the damage to their vehicle would need a day at a body shop at most.

Today the TP car has re-appeared repaired and the other car has gone.
  • Filip
    Filip Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    I don’t think my complaint will change anything.

Oh it will. At the very least if it goes to the FOS it will be another £500+ that an insurance company has paid to the ombudsman without any real foundation. This will not particularly hurt the company of course, because this cost will eventually be passed on to its customers in the form of increased premiums. Even if you managed to change the way whole industry notes these open claims down, it will make absolutely no difference to how any company rates these. It will still have the same outcome on premiums. And who do you think will pay the cost for the industry having to change the procedure, the customer again!

Life really is too short to spend this much time on something as immaterial as what is written on a form, particularly when even if the wording was changed it would make no difference to the way the system works.

You would be better off spending the time and energy you're putting into this towards searching for a better deal and gaining written agreement from the new company that any additional premiums will be refunded should the incident be settled non-fault.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Filip wrote: »
    Oh it will. At the very least if it goes to the FOS it will be another £500+ that an insurance company has paid to the ombudsman without any real foundation. This will not particularly hurt the company of course, because this cost will eventually be passed on to its customers in the form of increased premiums. Even if you managed to change the way whole industry notes these open claims down, it will make absolutely no difference to how any company rates these. It will still have the same outcome on premiums. And who do you think will pay the cost for the industry having to change the procedure, the customer again!

Life really is too short to spend this much time on something as immaterial as what is written on a form, particularly when even if the wording was changed it would make no difference to the way the system works.

You would be better off spending the time and energy you're putting into this towards searching for a better deal and gaining written agreement from the new company that any additional premiums will be refunded should the incident be settled non-fault.

Here here totally agree :T
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    Filip wrote: »

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm already paying the extortionate sum of £116 with 9 years no claims on a Peugeot 206. What increase do you think ill have to pay? Halifax wont give me quote more than 21 days before renewal?
    As for time spent I'm grateful for the advice from this site.
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    latest i understand the tp has paid £75 excess and £250 deposit to motability.

Halifax sent me survey email i put my telephone number to see if someone read it . they did and they called me .
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll be able to find out how much your increase at renewal will be by doing some mock claims online, as the accident is recorded your going to have to declare it for the next 3-5 years depending who you insure with over the coming years as a accident, try getting online quotes for at fault, partially at fault and non fault To give you an idea.

I had a claim settled as part fault a few years ago and my insurance with 9 years no claims went up about £200 although this was at the time that insurance prices rose in general. It's now down to the pre accident price, sub £300, my current insurer only asks for the previous 3 years history.
  • Scrootum
    Scrootum Posts: 159 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2013 at 7:47PM
    Options
    the main issue here is, is that statement available to other insurers to see and would this be deemed a fault accident to the new insurers even though liability hasn't been established at this time as this document doesn't imply that liability has not been established it implies that your at fault.

so what does the OP declare to other insurers for quotes?

the statement is misleading IMHO to the of the OP's status to other insurers.
    He has to state there is an open claim. No liability has been accepted as yet by either side.
    The file will stay open until a full settlement is received.
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    Scrootum wrote: »
    He has to state there is an open claim. No liability has been accepted as yet by either side.
    The file will stay open until a full settlement is received.

I've had a letter from another insurer who i have used in the past.Their quote was a significant increase on what i had paid to Halifax for my current cover. I called this other company and they tell me that a no fault claim is registered on the date of the accident but they do not think it has affected their quote. So I assume they are more expensive.

I have just called Ageas and they have told me that the third party has made a claim that it was my fault by letter with no supporting evidence and that they are now reviewing the evidence, pictures i sent them and the video on youtube i took at the time of the accident. I will be contacted should it be required they said.
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a letter from another insurer who i have used in the past.Their quote was a significant increase on what i had paid to Halifax for my current cover. I called this other company and they tell me that a no fault claim is registered on the date of the accident but they do not think it has affected their quote. So I assume they are more expensive.

I have just called Ageas and they have told me that the third party has made a claim that it was my fault by letter with no supporting evidence and that they are now reviewing the evidence, pictures i sent them and the video on youtube i took at the time of the accident. I will be contacted should it be required they said.

Oh dear, this could drag out then........ Or worse, end up being split liability.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure