Halifax Car Insurance Procedures Refuse to Amend Inaccurate Statement of insurance

Options

Comments

• stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Faith177 wrote: »
    To start with both parties will have the claim logged as fault until either party accepts liability

But the OP hasn't made a claim, and neither has the TP against the OPs insurer. It should be noted for information in case there is one, but it shouldn't be recorded as a claim.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stugib wrote: »
    But the OP hasn't made a claim, and neither has the TP against the OPs insurer. It should be noted for information in case there is one, but it shouldn't be recorded as a claim.

The OP has returned the claim forms so as far as the company would know he intends to claim would be mind understanding.

If you only wanted it noted as an incident why send back the claim form with the pictures ect
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • stugib
    Options
    If you only wanted it noted as an incident why send back the claim form with the pictures ect

Agree, that's where it went wrong, though OP was only doing what was asked
    2e0arr wrote: »
    I telephoned Halifax to report the occurrence and stated that the damage is almost unnoticeable on my car so i have no intention on making a claim.
    Details were taken and I was put through to Ageas who deal with the claims. Details were taken and i was given information how to email and or post pictures and the videos.
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If she claimed on her own comprehensive insurance they'd repair under her own policy then if they thought they had chance of recovering it reclaim from your company later. They wouldn't wait to establish liability in that case. Doesn't mean they'd be successful.

Thank you for your reply (btw she is a he), This is new knowledge for me and if they are getting their vehicle repaired then it is nothing unusual.
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    All claims are logged as fault until liability has been accepted so Halifax have acted correctly.

Once the TP have accepted liability they will then amend it to show them at fault not you this is pretty standard for insurance.

Considering your claim happened less than a week ago I very much doubt liability has been sorted yet so this is why it is an open fault claim

I don't doubt this might be the practice however if for example the statement of insurance had a section saying "murderer ?" and they printed the answer "Our driver", is that an acceptable procedure ? Especially when you have not murdered anyone or been charged ?

If they had put "Pending " or "possibly contentious" I could not argue with that.

But what is printed is factually inaccurate , the truth of the situation is missing and their words show me at fault.

My apologies if my analogy sounds severe
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    All claims are logged as fault until liability has been accepted so Halifax have acted correctly.

Once the TP have accepted liability they will then amend it to show them at fault not you this is pretty standard for insurance.

Considering your claim happened less than a week ago I very much doubt liability has been sorted yet so this is why it is an open fault claim

It's the words they used I find as inaccurate with the correct information missing. I'm sure they have acted in what they call a correct procedure, but it is the inaccurate words used and the correct information missing that i object to.

Halifax have a duty of care to be accurate in all their dealings. If they cannot get the basic legal stuff correct in the documents they issue can we trust them with more significant legal stuff ?

It was a week today when it happened. In my conversation with Ageas file handler whose role is to gather evidence. She was surprised that Halifax had sent the document worded in this way.
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    Whose claim?

It is not my intention to make a claim.
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    The OP has returned the claim forms so as far as the company would know he intends to claim would be mind understanding. If you only wanted it noted as an incident why send back the claim form with the pictures ect

Being involved in an accident is new to me. I called Halifax shortly after the accident. I told them it was not my intention to claim, they took basic details and put me through to Ageas who took details. Ageas sent me a claim form which had some pre-filled information and I completed the rest. I returned it with pictures taken at the time. I also emailed them links to 4 videos I took and put on youtube. That is why I returned it.

On saturday last amended documents arrived from Halifax stating at the Fault ? Ourdriver
  • stugib
    Options
    2e0arr wrote: »
    It's the words they used I find as inaccurate with the correct information missing. I'm sure they have acted in what they call a correct procedure, but it is the inaccurate words used and the correct information missing that i object to.

You're barking up the wrong tree IMHO. Forget the wording, you're not going to change the way the entire industry handles the situation where a claim is made and liability is unresolved. It will be recorded as 'at fault' in the meantime - there's no concept of 'to be decided but we'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now' when recording claims.

You need to concentrate on the fact it shouldn't have been registered as a claim in the first place.
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe the third party has claimed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts