Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 562
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 29th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Darn.. not able to claim!
    Originally posted by newbie8
    No indeed you can’t claim EC261/2004 compensation not for industrial action by ATC. Your mum should be able to claim ‘right to care’ costs, that includes meals any soft drinks, transportation costs to and from the airport, but not any consequential losses such as lost earnings...

If you have receipts then you should submit a claim for these....
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Aurora65
    • By Aurora65 30th Jul 18, 10:54 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aurora65
    Tour Operator or Airline Claim
    Hi, I booked a package holiday through TUI, but the flight was with Norwegian, who should I send the claim to?

Also is there a site where you can find out the reason for the delay, as this information was not given to us at the time.

TIA
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 30th Jul 18, 11:12 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Norwegian Air. It is the airline you fly with. Put your flight details into euclaim and then bottonline and see what they say. They probably won't tell you until you start a small claims court action.
    Last edited by Justice13075; 30-07-2018 at 11:14 PM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 1st Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    JPears
    I remember reading a post, probably within the last month, that a judge had declared compensation a "burden" or similar term which essentially meant it was due within a 28 day period. I can't find the post or any other reference to it. Anyone any ideas or links?
    Thanks
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Blade74
    • By Blade74 2nd Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blade74
    Thanks justice
    Hope you read this but thanks to your advice I have just received €600 off tui !!
    Thank you for your time
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 2nd Aug 18, 11:02 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Your Welcome
    • farookn
    • By farookn 3rd Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    farookn
    Today I received notification that my Ryanair flight (London to Dublin) scheduled to depart in 7 days has been cancelled due to pilot strikes. I was offered a refund, or rerouting on a flight a day earlier or day before. I checked flights with alternative carriers and at this close to the date the flights are all well over £220. Rather than accept a refund and have to book a much more expensive flight, or accept re-routing a day later and thereby missing a day of my plans I accepted a Ryanair flight departing a day earlier. This has caused me to take additional annual leave from work, and incur additional costs for an extra day's airport parking and an extra night's accommodation.

Putting aside whether pilot strikes are something which Ryanair are liable to pay compensation for (as this is under some debate), my question is: am I entitled to compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 as I the offers of re-routing were either far later or far earlier?

I have found this on Wikipedia but it doesn't cite any sources. Does anyone else have experience of a similar situation (accepting re-routing to a much earlier flight). I think I fall outside of the highlighted exception here meaning that I should be entitled to compensation:

The airline is also required to pay cash compensation as described below, unless one of the following conditions applies:

- the airline notifies the passengers at least two weeks prior to departure
    - the airline notifies the passengers between one and two weeks prior to departure, and re-routes passengers so that they can:
    -- depart no more than two hours earlier than scheduled, and
    -- arrive no more than four hours later than scheduled
    - the airline notifies the passengers less than one week prior to departure, and re-routes passengers so that they can:
    -- depart no more than one hour earlier than scheduled, and
    -- arrive no more than two hours later than scheduled
    - the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure.
    The highlighted section is close to excluding me from compensation but the flight offered (and accepted) arrives 18 hours earlier than scheduled, and alternative flights offered would arrive over 24 hours later than scheduled.

Appreciate any advice offered, thanks.
    • farookn
    • By farookn 3rd Aug 18, 4:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    farookn
    Today I received notification that my Ryanair flight (London to Dublin) scheduled to depart in 7 days has been cancelled due to pilot strikes. I was offered a refund, or rerouting on a flight a day earlier or day before. I checked flights with alternative carriers and at this close to the date the flights are all well over £220. Rather than accept a refund and have to book a much more expensive flight, or accept re-routing a day later and thereby missing a day of my plans I accepted a Ryanair flight departing a day earlier. This has caused me to take additional annual leave from work, and incur additional costs for an extra day's airport parking and an extra night's accommodation.

Putting aside whether pilot strikes are something which Ryanair are liable to pay compensation for (as this is under some debate), my question is: am I entitled to compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 as I the offers of re-routing were either far later or far earlier?

I have found this on Wikipedia but it doesn't cite any sources. Does anyone else have experience of a similar situation (accepting re-routing to a much earlier flight). I think I fall outside of the highlighted exception here meaning that I should be entitled to compensation:

The highlighted section is close to excluding me from compensation but the flight offered (and accepted) arrives 18 hours earlier than scheduled, and alternative flights offered would arrive over 24 hours later than scheduled.

Appreciate any advice offered, thanks.
    Originally posted by farookn
    I've found the same terms in the documentation on the EU's website and Ryanair's so I think I am entitled to 125 euros compensation once Ryanair pull their finger out and agree with the CAA's assessment that strike by the company's own employees do not count as extraordinary circumstances. I guess we'll see in a couple of months how the thousands of affected passengers get on with this.
    • notabot
    • By notabot 6th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    notabot
    Thanks
    Thank you MSE. Following your advice I got my compensation
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 6th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Thank you MSE. Following your advice I got my compensation
    Originally posted by notabot
    Well done

Is that from your delay in 2015? If so what caused the delay in receiving your compensation?
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • tobiwankenobe
    • By tobiwankenobe 8th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tobiwankenobe
    Good afternoon,
    my sister's Norwegian flight from London to New York has been changed for another 4 hours later, landing 4 hours later, next week (within 7-14 days of flying, no reason has been given).

If the flight departs and lands late is my Amercian sister entitled to compensation (I realise the amount will vary whether she lands less or more than 4 hours late)?

If so, does it matter if she applies for compensation before she flies? I realise it's better to apply on landing but I'd like to help her with the application.

Thank you for your advice.

Toby
    • idlesaver
    • By idlesaver 9th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 4,278 Posts
    • 59,812 Thanks
    idlesaver
    Hello everyone,

After reading all the Martin's advice regarding flight delay, I raised a claim for my Non EU flight through resolver. But only were offered $200 of travel certificate from United Airlines, which I am not happy with

The story is,

Our return journey was from Chicago to London but due to technical fault the flight was landed on New York airport and they offered replacement flight for next day which was appx 15hrs later. They did offer us hotel stay and meal vouchers to compensate.

But also that replacement flight got delayed by 5hrs!! We were just sitting in flight for 5hrs and they gave several reasons for the delay.

I am not happy with $200 travel certificate which they offered through Resolver (I am not planning to fly to US in near future so no use to me TBH). Not sure where I stand and what I can do if I want money as a compensation?

Any advice is really appreciated x
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 9th Aug 18, 10:39 AM
    • 11,366 Posts
    • 7,454 Thanks
    Caz3121
    UA flights are covered by EU261 when departing from the EU but not departing US. If you want money then best to check what your travel insurance policy covers. If you want to be covered by EU261 on flights departing from US, you would need to book on an EU carrier
    • idlesaver
    • By idlesaver 9th Aug 18, 10:33 PM
    • 4,278 Posts
    • 59,812 Thanks
    idlesaver
    UA flights are covered by EU261 when departing from the EU but not departing US. If you want money then best to check what your travel insurance policy covers. If you want to be covered by EU261 on flights departing from US, you would need to book on an EU carrier
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    OK Thank you

Unfortunately I didnt have travel insurance
    • JPears
    • By JPears 10th Aug 18, 3:00 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    JPears
    OK Thank you

Unfortunately I didnt have travel insurance
    Originally posted by idlesaver
    No travel insurance going to USA?

• idlesaver
    • By idlesaver 10th Aug 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4,278 Posts
    • 59,812 Thanks
    idlesaver
    Nope Forgot to do it !
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 38,868 Posts
    • 35,693 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Nope Forgot to do it !
    Originally posted by idlesaver
    Well, I'm glad you're looking embarrassed about it ...

If you do more than one trip away, it's almost certainly worth getting an annual policy. Do it the moment you get something else booked!

We've only ever had to claim twice, in a number of years, and in neither case was it huge amounts, but I was glad to have it! Once we had to cancel because I broke my shoulder not long before we were due to go, and once we were ill while away, requiring a day in hospital on a drip.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • sentosa
    • By sentosa 10th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    sentosa
    Apologies,now posted in correct place, I hope.
    Last edited by sentosa; 10-08-2018 at 5:26 PM.
    • Kshah
    • By Kshah 11th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kshah
    Airline says delay due to trafic control
    I travelled to Australia which was operated by Etihad airways. My stopovers were in Abu Dhabi and Sydney. The flight was delayed from Abu Dhabi to Sydney and therefore I missed connecting last flight for the day. Etihad airways provided overnight accommodation. I had to take the first available flight the following morning. Therefore I reached my final destination more than 6 hours late.

I wrote to Etihad airways and they are claiming that the delay was due to air traffic control and I am not entitled to any compensation. I asked them for proof regarding air traffic control delay. They responded stating that this is the response from their legal department and they cannot provide any further evidence.
    I do not trust their air traffic control delay response as my husband travelled a week later and faced the same situation.
    How can I check if they are telling the truth or not. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    JPears
    Unfortunately, taking them to court is usually the only way find out.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,094Posts Today

9,179Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin