VW Touran Engine Blown Up

Options

Comments

• ConrodCon
    Options
    Valleycat wrote: »
    Hi

Update

I have had my car back they replaced the Engine, Turbo, Fly Wheel & Oil Pump VW paid 100% for the parts we only had to pay the labour which was £1,200 that was including the original price quoted to strip the engine total bill to VW was just over £10,000 so I am chuffed and thank you all agin for the help and advice.

Nikky

Glad you have been successful we wern't so lucky and VW are denying there is a problem. You will see from my thread within this forum that im currently gathering evidence for my forthcoming court case so would appreciate if you could send any relevant information to [EMAIL="conrodcon@yahoo.co.uk"]conrodcon@yahoo.co.uk[/EMAIL]. Your evidence would be great as VW paid for the cost of the defective engine. Please see thread number 37 for the list of evidence I require. Thanks
  • Beachview_2
    Beachview_2 Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with the court case against VW, I hope all those customers affected succeed.

It'll be interesting to see if VOSA actually decide to force a recall. Apparently, it is not a legal requirement in the UK for a company to recall a faulty car, I read that one time on Which. That's another place that could be contacted about this too.
  • ConrodCon
    Options
    Beachview wrote: »
    Good luck with the court case against VW, I hope all those customers affected succeed.

It'll be interesting to see if VOSA actually decide to force a recall. Apparently, it is not a legal requirement in the UK for a company to recall a faulty car, I read that one time on Which. That's another place that could be contacted about this too.

Thanks for that - let's just hope justice prevails - after all it can't be right to buy a car of this value for it to fail so spectacularly due to poor manufacturing / poor design / poor servicing (or a combination of all 3). You buy a car in good faith and you expect it to work - it's a bit different if you buy an old banger for £500 but that's not what we did.

Thanks also for the tip about Which? Will definitely look into that!
  • albionrovers
    albionrovers Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2013 at 10:01AM
    Options
    Sorry, can someone remind me why the OP had to fork out £1200 for labour again? Is it purely because vehicle is out of warranty?
    Probably perfectly above board, I maybe missed the reason reading through the thread.
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    hmmm ive seen this at our local breakers yard 3 times now on these cars

top quality german engineering!
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    hmmm ive seen this at our local breakers yard 3 times now on these cars

top quality german engineering!

I drove past one the other day on the M6 in heavy traffic, oil all over the road and an AA man preparing to load it on a truck.

German engineering indeed, my 15 year old British-built diesel engine pottered past quite happily. :p

Don't know why people bang on about German stuff being so great.
  • Johnny_S.
    Options
    My 2008 Passat TDI Estate recently threw a conrod out the side of the engine at 120 K. VW have agreed to a free diagnostic to try and establish the cause. I'd be grateful for any further advice on the next steps with regards to likely 'goodwill and contribution'.
    Thanks
  • anotherbaldrick
    anotherbaldrick Posts: 2,335 Forumite
    Options
    Johnny_S. wrote: »
    My 2008 Passat TDI Estate recently threw a conrod out the side of the engine at 120 K. VW have agreed to a free diagnostic to try and establish the cause. I'd be grateful for any further advice on the next steps with regards to likely 'goodwill and contribution'.
    Thanks

First check to see if you have the BXE engine , if you have there are plenty of threads on the web where people have got stuck into VW and got recompense.
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • Johnny_S.
    Options
    Yes, it's a BXE engine code. It's gutting on a car that's not yet five years old, especially when a friend says his 2001 Skoda Octavia has done 246K on its original VAG TDI engine and another just retired his Passat at 293K! Maybe I should have stuck with my old 2001 Passat TDI that had done 155K?

Thanks
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Options
    i didnt know VW had metallurgists on site, how else are they going to diagnose a thrown rod and why it had broken, appart from pointing at it and saying its broken by there (wiping the lubricant off) due to NO oil in my expert (an 8 hour course) opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure