IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

VW Touran Engine Blown Up

in Motoring
82 replies 35.8K views
1234579

Replies

  • arcon5arcon5 Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    nobbysn*ts wrote: »
    Hmm, nope, the more you spend, you less you earn. Spend it with yourself though. And get those business trips to Barbados in.

    Well if you're gonna spend it on yourself that's different to just spending. Although it does of course create a Benefit In Kind issue.
  • Hutch100ukHutch100uk Forumite
    600 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi there, just had the same thing happen to my 1.9tdi Golf that also has a BXE engine. Has anyone had a positive outcome from either VW or VOSA?
  • My Passat 1.9TDI on 58 plate had the same failure about 10 days ago. The car was bought from VW with 14,000 miles on the clock, only ever serviced by VW main dealer on schedule then this catastrophic failure occured at 88,000 miles. The car is with VW dealer and they say VW are not prepared to offer any goodwill contribution to £6K repair bill. The dealer have offered £1K off the bill. I have contacted VW customer service and have a case reference but no contact from anybody yet. I made contact with conrodcon last week and he sent me useful info re: his case with his Touran that he managed to get a succesful settlement on. looks like I am going to have to make a claim against VW or the VW dealer where I bought the car in small claims court. I believe the only way we will be succesfull in getting VW to replace our faulty engines free of charge is if we are prepared to back each other up with witness statements. Unfortunately, presenting the courts with reams of posts from internet forums showing lots of other customers having had the same experience counts for nothing.

    Contact me at nhertsv at gmail dot com if you are prepared to submit witness statement to support a court case against VW.

    Thanks
  • Hutch100ukHutch100uk Forumite
    600 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Passattdi wrote: »
    My Passat 1.9TDI on 58 plate had the same failure about 10 days ago. The car was bought from VW with 14,000 miles on the clock, only ever serviced by VW main dealer on schedule then this catastrophic failure occured at 88,000 miles. The car is with VW dealer and they say VW are not prepared to offer any goodwill contribution to £6K repair bill. The dealer have offered £1K off the bill. I have contacted VW customer service and have a case reference but no contact from anybody yet. I made contact with conrodcon last week and he sent me useful info re: his case with his Touran that he managed to get a succesful settlement on. looks like I am going to have to make a claim against VW or the VW dealer where I bought the car in small claims court. I believe the only way we will be succesfull in getting VW to replace our faulty engines free of charge is if we are prepared to back each other up with witness statements. Unfortunately, presenting the courts with reams of posts from internet forums showing lots of other customers having had the same experience counts for nothing.

    Contact me at nhertsv at gmail dot com if you are prepared to submit witness statement to support a court case against VW.

    Thanks



    Sorry, just saw this. I've emailed you so I hope you get it!! If not PM me.
  • My 09 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI suffered a catastrophic engine failure on Saturday much as others have describe; cuising happily, then bang, smoke, big pool of oil. It is curently at the local dealer and figures of £6,000+ are being bandied about for the engine replacement. I see that some people have got some recompense from VAG but most seem to have had a negative response. I would happily add my voice to complain but VOSA has now aparently been been abolished and I could not find the complaint form on the new DVSA site.
    Does anyone know of any formal group to pressure VAG or should we consider starting a class action?
  • Passattdi wrote: »
    My Passat 1.9TDI on 58 plate had the same failure about 10 days ago. The car was bought from VW with 14,000 miles on the clock, only ever serviced by VW main dealer on schedule then this catastrophic failure occured at 88,000 miles. The car is with VW dealer and they say VW are not prepared to offer any goodwill contribution to £6K repair bill. The dealer have offered £1K off the bill. I have contacted VW customer service and have a case reference but no contact from anybody yet. I made contact with conrodcon last week and he sent me useful info re: his case with his Touran that he managed to get a succesful settlement on. looks like I am going to have to make a claim against VW or the VW dealer where I bought the car in small claims court. I believe the only way we will be succesfull in getting VW to replace our faulty engines free of charge is if we are prepared to back each other up with witness statements. Unfortunately, presenting the courts with reams of posts from internet forums showing lots of other customers having had the same experience counts for nothing.

    Contact me at nhertsv at gmail dot com if you are prepared to submit witness statement to support a court case against VW.

    Thanks

    Have you received many witness statements?

    After a conrod failure led to a hole in the engine of my VW Touran, I also got no assistance from VW and paid £2.5k to get my car repaired independently.

    I may have found a solicitor willing to take on a case against VW on a no win, no fee basis. So if we can get the witness statements, that would be a great start.

    Please get in touch
  • sean_jay wrote: »
    Have you received many witness statements?

    After a conrod failure led to a hole in the engine of my VW Touran, I also got no assistance from VW and paid £2.5k to get my car repaired independently.

    I may have found a solicitor willing to take on a case against VW on a no win, no fee basis. So if we can get the witness statements, that would be a great start.

    Please get in touch

    Another one to report: BXE engine in a 57 plate Golf Plus, 85k miles, always serviced when the indicator said to. It went on the outside lane of the dual carriageway with my whole family on board.

    Any possibility of a legal claim against VW most welcome...
  • Dylanjohn wrote: »
    Another one to report: BXE engine in a 57 plate Golf Plus, 85k miles, always serviced when the indicator said to. It went on the outside lane of the dual carriageway with my whole family on board.

    Any possibility of a legal claim against VW most welcome...

    Hi.

    My 1.9 06 plate Passat suffered a similar failure today.

    Just checked the V5C - only discover a BXE Engine.

    Also more than willing to participate in any action against VW.
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have read this thread with interest, done a bit of research, and found that it is not just VW's which are affected but all VAG models which use the BXE engine.
    Do some searches and you will find complaints from VW, Audi, Skoda owners (and I suspect Seat as well).
    I honestly think that large vehicle manufacturers who are found to have well documented problems with vehicles/engines, should be forced by governments to rectify the problems and fully compensate customers.
  • Just yesterday my 82k 1.9tdi Touran shot a conrod through the block. Has anybody had any recent joy getting a replacement engine fitted? I need to get my car back on the road ASAP for work so need e reliable engine to replace my destroyed one...any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides