Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earwig
    • By earwig 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    • 1,052Posts
    • 693Thanks
    earwig
    Is your heating ON or OFF?
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    Is your heating ON or OFF? 4th Oct 06 at 12:08 PM
    hi
    just wonder how many of you have put the heating on yet i was going to wait untill november but my 7 year old dd woke me up at 430 this morring saying she was cold i swear i saw steam coming from her mouth so i got up and put it on the house was cold though and my ds has woken up a few time durring the night to (his only two) i now wonder if it was because he was cold too

[CENTER]If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 13-03-2019 at 9:03 AM.
Page 1
    • Mado
    • By Mado 4th Oct 06, 12:11 PM
    • 20,484 Posts
    • 42,143 Thanks
    Mado
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:11 PM
    Yep... last night recomissioned it as the weather forecast stated a chilly 5C overnight.
    Thermostat is set at 18C...
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
    • *zippy*
    • By *zippy* 4th Oct 06, 12:11 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 8,633 Thanks
    *zippy*
    I was hoping to last until Nov, but the house was cold last night so I gave in and put it on.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 4th Oct 06, 12:12 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 9,373 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:12 PM
    No, not yet, but I doubt it will be long.
    • domestic goddess
    • By domestic goddess 4th Oct 06, 12:12 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 2,266 Thanks
    domestic goddess
    my two year old has woke up a few times over the last week so I have put the heating on very low in his room (I have storage heaters so can just heat one room) and he is now sleeping happily again.... Thank goodness!

Managed to keep the rest of the heating off so far.
    Learning to live a more frugal lifestyle with my family
    • Addiscomber
    • By Addiscomber 4th Oct 06, 12:17 PM
    • 975 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Addiscomber
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:17 PM
    No, not yet, but nobody here is under 16. DH and I did feel the need to put the duvet back on the bed 2 nights ago, instead of a sheet and a couple of cellular blankets, and we have both needed jumpers in the evening. My teenage sons haven't made any comment yet.

The early hours are certainly the ones when the cold is most noticeable, but we never set our heating to come on any earlier than 30 mins before the earliest anyone gets up. Can you do anything about warmer bedclothes/nightclothes for your children? I am out of touch with young childrens clothes but I expect you can still get sleepsuits that stay in place. You used to be able to get things to keep duvets etc in place if that is the problem.
    • dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 4th Oct 06, 12:17 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    Not yet, but we are thinking about putting it on in the evenings (I don't find the mornings too cold). It can only be a day or two at this rate before we fire it up.

We also have a solid fuel stove in the sitting room, but it's too good...we end up roasting and having all the doors open. I'll start laying a fire when I need heat in there during the day.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 4th Oct 06, 12:18 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 10,446 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:18 PM
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:18 PM
    Not yet but it was freezing this morning so am considering putting it on for tomorrow morning
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 4th Oct 06, 12:32 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:32 PM
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:32 PM
    I had it on last night for about an hour as my toes were freezing despite the thick socks... OH is away till tomorrow night so I'm taking the oppertunerty to save on heating I can do this every week as he's away 2 nights a week at least heehee.
    I DID light up some candles tho - I have a candle thing that takes about 10 tea lights that I lit and found it was really really cozy and soon got toasty I only turned the heating on briefly when I got back from walking the dog after work (I was freeeeezin) but they did last all evening (and had already been burning a few weeks ago for a while...)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • CoD
    yes but thats because i'm poorly. we put it on to test at the weekend as the hot water had been broken for a couple of months. (still had hot showers as that heats up water directly)
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 4th Oct 06, 12:37 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    yup had it on here too

its lovely weather, sunny and blue skies but brrrrrrr its freezing esp in the mornings !
  • Lucie
    Me too, crumbled last night cos it was freezing! OH has asked for the winter duvet back on instead of the summer one too.

Edit: just remembered must go bleed the rads too & check all the thermostats, as most of ours have individual controls. I keep em turned off in the rooms we never use.
    Last edited by Lucie; 04-10-2006 at 1:21 PM.
  • finc
    We haven't put it on yet and I'm trying to hold on another couple of weeks before we do. I know that once we start using it it's on most of the time as we get used to being warm again :rolleyes:

We've all got extra layers on for now but I have Raynauds and have had to restart my meds and got my handwarmers back out. I even tuck them in my socks when I'm in the house, very toasty but not very attractive.
    • Imelda
    • By Imelda 4th Oct 06, 12:42 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 1,573 Thanks
    Imelda
    Nope, going to try to hold out until November. It's just me to please so I am hoping to do it. I know that once I start using the heating it will be on until next May (even though it will probably be warmer by then). The only thing I am finding difficult is getting into bed, it's freezing, think I will get myself a hot water bottle for those first 10 mins as once I'm asleep, the roof could fall off and I wouldn't wake up..
    Saving for an early retirement!
    • Strepsy
    • By Strepsy 4th Oct 06, 12:42 PM
    • 5,562 Posts
    • 38,226 Thanks
    Strepsy
    I put it on when we'd come home from the school run lastnight for an hour. That seemed to do the trick as we didn't need it on again lastnight. Guess I'll be airing the flanelette sheets then.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 4th Oct 06, 12:43 PM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 7,435 Thanks
    culpepper
    Not on here yet.Im the only one at home during the day 5 times a week and recently Ive been digging potatoes whenever its not raining,so Im toasty.
    The half term is week after next though so there might be some complaints then if it still isn't on.
    • Imelda
    • By Imelda 4th Oct 06, 12:48 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 1,573 Thanks
    Imelda
    We haven't put it on yet and I'm trying to hold on another couple of weeks before we do. I know that once we start using it it's on most of the time as we get used to being warm again :rolleyes:

We've all got extra layers on for now but I have Raynauds and have had to restart my meds and got my handwarmers back out. I even tuck them in my socks when I'm in the house, very toasty but not very attractive.
    by finc
    My OH has Raynauds, he didn't tell me until we had been going out for a few weeks and I found the electric blanket and foot warmer......... I thought he was two-timing me with a granny! Just kidding, it is awful though and he refuses to take any meds. Do the meds you take make much difference?
    Saving for an early retirement!
  • linzibean
    Not yet, I'm too tight :P Though it is getting chilly for my poor guinea pigs, i might put it on for a little in the mornings soon.
    • oops a daisy
    • By oops a daisy 4th Oct 06, 12:51 PM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 3,467 Thanks
    oops a daisy
    LOL I was waiting for somebody to start this thread

well the house is definately getting colder but we have managed so far with putting on a fleece and socks - think if this is it and it continues this cold I will have to give in and put the heating on Might try to last till after the weekend as I am out late tomorrow working and away on Saturday night...... am I clutching at straws and trying to put off the inevitable
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07
  • TerminallyShortOfCash
    We gave in last night and put it on - our house is stupidly old and has really drafty sash windows and despite two tops and big woolly poncho it was unbearably cold. Have thermostat set lower than we will in about 2 months tho and is set to come on for about three hours a day, so it's not too bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,722Posts Today

8,145Users online

Martin's Twitter