bed &mattress suggestion please

Options
My husband and I had thought that we needed a comfortable mattress while the bed didn't matter.We bought the slatted bedstead with the slats gap is about 75mm and the Jonh Lewis Pocket Comfort 1 Mattress, Double size. According to the clerk in JL, the slatted bedstead with 75mm gap can go well with the this mattress.

While we began to feel the sour around waist after several months for these combination. I had to get up earilier every morning because I couldn't stand lying on the bed anymore. We went to John Lewis but it was said that the mattress wasn't refundable if it was not the quarlity issue. We still felt the same type of mattress with king size in JL's store more comfortable than ours. While we didn't have solid facts to prove it.
We decided to replace the mattress because of worse quarlity sleep nights with days on.
We saw many positive comments about the ergoflex memeory mattress so we ordered one on-line. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a diaster again. It seemed that the body sinked too deeper into the memory foam and we felt even more sore than previous mattress. We contacted with ergoflex for refund and the collection fee was quite expensive, around 100 pounds. (It wasn't stated in the Ergoflex's website.) We got nothing with the delivery fee +the return collection fee about 130 pounds.

While the issue is till there, we kept on looking for mattress. My hunsband and I tested on the "Sleep to Live" device and it suggested both of us are suitable for soft type.

We bought two quits to put them on JL's mattress and we still felt the sour although it reliefed a little bit.

So far, We spent a lot of money on the bed& mattress but still we don't get sound sleep. We totally lost our confidence to know which mattress is suitable for us. Please help us!

According to Tim Deegan's previous comments, the king size 1000 and 1800 pocket springs is fine.
The JL's mattress is just 1000 pocket springs for king size and 875 ones for the double size. It also need to turn per season.
Could it mean that the reason might be the slat gap? Do we need to replace the bedstead too?

This mattress's tension is Medium and I am not sure which type tension we should have, hard, medium-to-hard or soft. Or it doesn't matter at all. (My weight is about 50kg and my husband's weight is about 65kg)

I also have no idea about what type of mattress is suitable for us too, pocket spring, pocket spring+memeory etc.
We are lost.....

John Lewis Pocket Comfort 1 Mattress, Double
230509097/Product.aspx
(Sorry, I can't paste link. Please add the home page in front of above words.)

Key Features

Depth 18cm
Dimensions W135 x L190cm
Filling RX Foam, Posturfil
Mattress Size Double
Seasonal side No
Side stitchedhand or machined n/a
Spring count 875
Tension Medium
Tick composition n/a
Tuft Type/Surface Finish Felt
Turn/ no turn/ rotate Turn with the seasons
Type Pocket Spring
Weight 23kg

ergoflex
memoryfoammattress/UK+Standard+Double+Memory+Foam+Mattress?itemid=401

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    My husband and I had thought that we needed a comfortable mattress while the bed didn't matter.We bought the slatted bedstead with the slats gap is about 75mm and the Jonh Lewis Pocket Comfort 1 Mattress, Double size. According to the clerk in JL, the slatted bedstead with 75mm gap can go well with the this mattress.

While we began to feel the sour around waist after several months for these combination. I had to get up earilier every morning because I couldn't stand lying on the bed anymore. We went to John Lewis but it was said that the mattress wasn't refundable if it was not the quarlity issue. We still felt the same type of mattress with king size in JL's store more comfortable than ours. While we didn't have solid facts to prove it.
    We decided to replace the mattress because of worse quarlity sleep nights with days on.
    We saw many positive comments about the ergoflex memeory mattress so we ordered one on-line. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a diaster again. It seemed that the body sinked too deeper into the memory foam and we felt even more sore than previous mattress. We contacted with ergoflex for refund and the collection fee was quite expensive, around 100 pounds. (It wasn't stated in the Ergoflex's website.) We got nothing with the delivery fee +the return collection fee about 130 pounds.

While the issue is till there, we kept on looking for mattress. My hunsband and I tested on the "Sleep to Live" device and it suggested both of us are suitable for soft type.

We bought two quits to put them on JL's mattress and we still felt the sour although it reliefed a little bit.

So far, We spent a lot of money on the bed& mattress but still we don't get sound sleep. We totally lost our confidence to know which mattress is suitable for us. Please help us!

According to Tim Deegan's previous comments, the king size 1000 and 1800 pocket springs is fine.
    The JL's mattress is just 1000 pocket springs for king size and 875 ones for the double size. It also need to turn per season.
    Could it mean that the reason might be the slat gap? Do we need to replace the bedstead too?

This mattress's tension is Medium and I am not sure which type tension we should have, hard, medium-to-hard or soft. Or it doesn't matter at all. (My weight is about 50kg and my husband's weight is about 65kg)

I also have no idea about what type of mattress is suitable for us too, pocket spring, pocket spring+memeory etc.
    We are lost.....

John Lewis Pocket Comfort 1 Mattress, Double
    230509097/Product.aspx

Key Features

Depth 18cm
    Dimensions W135 x L190cm
    Filling RX Foam, Posturfil
    Mattress Size Double
    Seasonal side No
    Side stitchedhand or machined n/a
    Spring count 875
    Tension Medium
    Tick composition n/a
    Tuft Type/Surface Finish Felt
    Turn/ no turn/ rotate Turn with the seasons
    Type Pocket Spring
    Weight 23kg

ergoflex
    memoryfoammattress/UK+Standard+Double+Memory+Foam+Mattress?itemid=401

Oh dear. I didn't realise that John Lewis were getting into the low quality side of the market. Although I have heard that they make a habbit of wrongly telling people that you can use any of their pocket sprung mattresses on slatted beds.

The mattress you bought contains reflex foam encapsulated pocket springs. These are usually smaller and less supportive than full size steel pocket springs. Full size steel pocket springs couldn't be vacuum packed and rolled up as they would be damaged. This type of springs are often used in cheap pocket spring and memory foam mattresses, but this one doesn't even contain memory foam, and is therefore very expensive.

You don't need to get a new bed. All you need to do is either add extra slats, or lay a sheet of pegboard or hardboard over the slats.

As you are both of a very small build I would recommend getting a soft pocket sprung only mattress.

If I were you I would stay away from big brand names and big chain stores if you want good quality at a low price, and shop on line from a seller who gives a proper satisfaction guarantee that allows you to actually unpack and sleep on the mattress. This way it is in their interest to make sure that you make the right choice the first time.
  • sound_sleep_needed
    Options
    Thanks a lot for Tim's reply!
    I also still have a little bit concern about the soft type. I always thought that we needed firm type mattress support our back and spine.

I need the mattress to be supportive while at same time it is comfortable to sleep on.
    Would you think the medium to firm type of memeory foam would be our good option to conside?We had thought that the ergoflex memory foam mattress with the density 85kg/m3 and 9cm visco elastic foam could be supportive enough for us. Do you think the density 60-70kg m3 could do good job to make it more comfortable but not less supportive?

The on-line sellers' or manufacturers' pages usually don't have information about the type of the pocket sprung(full size steel or not) or memory foam density. How can we get such information? Just call them or send an inquiry? Pocket sprung 1000 - 18000 (not encapsulated), full size steel pocket springs
    Double sided memory foam
    50mm or 2-2 1/2 inches in memory foam depth
    60 - 70kg m3 memory foam density

Sorry, I may ask many stupid questions. I just hope to make the right choice this time.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Thanks a lot for Tim's reply!
    I also still have a little bit concern about the soft type. I always thought that we needed firm type mattress support our back and spine.

When people say that you need a firm mattress for back support, this only actually applies to open coil springs. With pocket sprungs they contour to your body, and provide excellent support however firm they are.

As you are both of a small build, then you would need a soft or soft to medium mattress. Otherwise you wouldn't compress the springs enough for them to contour to your body.
    I need the mattress to be supportive while at same time it is comfortable to sleep on.
    Would you think the medium to firm type of memeory foam would be our good option to conside?We had thought that the ergoflex memory foam mattress with the density 85kg/m3 and 9cm visco elastic foam could be supportive enough for us. Do you think the density 60-70kg m3 could do good job to make it more comfortable but not less supportive?

For your weight I would go closer to 60kg than 70. However you need to remember that memory foam is high density, and that it doesn't make a mattress feel soft.
    The on-line sellers' or manufacturers' pages usually don't have information about the type of the pocket sprung(full size steel or not) or memory foam density. How can we get such information? Just call them or send an inquiry? Pocket sprung 1000 - 18000 (not encapsulated), full size steel pocket springs
    Double sided memory foam
    50mm or 2-2 1/2 inches in memory foam depth
    60 - 70kg m3 memory foam density

Sorry, I may ask many stupid questions. I just hope to make the right choice this time.

You are right. Retailers don't often say if they are full size steel springs, or reflex foam encapsulated ones. Most of the time if they are reflex foam encapsulated they don't want you to know. So just call or message them.
  • sound_sleep_needed
    sound_sleep_needed Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2010 at 8:09AM
    Options
    Thanks a lot for Tim's detail explanation!
    I never image it is so complicated find a right bed here.

To summariz the information, we need a pocket prung or pocket prung with foam mattress, soft or soft to medium, the density for memeory foam is about 60 m3 if we go for foam mattress
    • Pocket sprung 1000 - 18000 (not encapsulated) ,full size steel pocket springs
    • Double sided memory foam
    • 50mm or 2-2 1/2 inches in memory foam depth
    • 60 - 70kg m3 memory foam density
    • Climasmart/Coolmax/NoSweat cover ( if foam warm is an issue for us)
    • Online retailer who allows you to unwrap & return if not happy
    la romantica

KozeeSleep middle of the quality range
    Highgrove middle of the quality range independent manufacturer

The following brands mattresses are overpriced but quarlity is good.

Hypnos

Millbrook

Staples

Kaymed

keep a live
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Thanks a lot for Tim's detail explanation!
    I never image it is so complicated find a right bed here.

To summariz the information, we need a pocket prung or pocket prung with foam mattress, soft or soft to medium, the density for memeory foam is about 60 m3 if we go for foam mattress
    • Pocket sprung 1000 - 18000 (not encapsulated) ,full size steel pocket springs
    • Double sided memory foam
    • 50mm or 2-2 1/2 inches in memory foam depth
    • 60 - 70kg m3 memory foam density
    • Climasmart/Coolmax/NoSweat cover ( if foam warm is an issue for us)
    • Online retailer who allows you to unwrap & return if not happy
    la romantica

KozeeSleep middle of the quality range
    Highgrove middle of the quality range independent manufacturer

The following brands mattresses are overpriced but quarlity is good.

Hypnos
    Millbrook

Staples

Kaymed

keep a live

The Dewsbury Kozeesleep are middle to high in the quality scale.

I've never heard of keep a live. Don't you mean Sllep to Live? If so I wouldn't bother with them.

Staples are now part of the Hilding Anders group. If they have followed the same trend as the rest of the group, then they have probably lowered their quality as well.
  • sound_sleep_needed
    Options
    Thanks for your correction!

Peast one web site's introduction of mattress band here.

Harrison Spinks (UK)
    Somnus – Harrison Spinks Beds
    Nu-Bed – Harrison Spinks Beds ??????
    Harrison – Harrison Spinks Beds
    Spink and Edgar – Harrison Spinks Beds
    Dreamworld – Harrison Spinks Beds [Tbc] ???
    John Lewis (Tbc Own label) - Harrison Spinks Beds [amongst others probably]

Keen and Toms Holdings Ltd
    Hypnos (Royal warrant holder)

Millbrook Beds Ltd
    Millbrook

Flex Equipos De Descanso, S.A.
    Vi-Spring Ltd (Subsidiary)

Kaymed (Award winning – deemed to be amongst the best)
    Kaymed
    King Koil
    Odearest
    Kaymed SleepSpa
    Kaymed Wellbeing
    Kaymed Foam

KozeeSleep Beds Ltd (Dewsbury)
    (Not to be confused with Kozeesleep Beds – West Midlands)
    KozeeSleep
    Restus

Highgate Beds Ltd (UK)
    Highgate
    Healthopaedic – Highgate Beds
    Sleepwise – Highgate Beds
    Sleeping Comfort – Highgate Beds

Healthbeds -[Family owned (Smeaton family)]
    La Romantica

Not recommended brands anymore because of lowing the quality or brands in low of quality range
    Simmons Group- (Parent Company – Cauval Industries [fr] )
    Simmons – Simmons Group
    Sleepeezee – Simmons Group
    Cumfilux – Simmons Group
    Nestledown – Simmons Group

Hilding Anders Group (Sweden)
    Dunlopillo – Hilding Anders
    Slumberland – Hilding Anders
    Myers – Hilding Anders
    Staples – Hilding Anders
    Jensons Beds – Hilding Anders
    Sleepwell – Hilding Anders
    Ikea (Own Label – Tbc)

Silentnight Group
    Silentnight – Silentnight Group
    Layezee – Silentnight Group
    Sealy – Silentnight Group
    Pocket Spring Bed Company – Silentnight Group
    Rest Assured – Silentnight Group
    Stearns and Foster – Silentnight Group

Steinhoff (UK) International Holdings Ltd
    Homestyle Operations Ltd
    JW Carpenter Ltd
    [tbc - In one way or another the following brands / stores are intrinsically linked through the above companies]
    Relyon [Brand] (Steinhoff)
    Sprung Slumber [Brand] (tbc – Steinhoff)
    Bensons for Beds (Homestyle Operations)
    Sleepmasters (Homestyle Operations)
    The Bed Shed (Homestyle Operations)
    Harveys (Steinhoff International – [tbc]Wholly owned / Part of Homestyle Operations)
    Cargo (Homestyle Operations / JW Carpenter)
    Homestyle (Homestyle Operations / JW Carpenter

Need to know more about these brands
    Icon Designs Ltd (UK)
    Concept – Icon Designs

Airsprung Furniture Group Plc
    Airsprung
    Gainsborough Beds
    Hush Sleep Collection
    Hush-a-Bye
    Gainsborough Sofa Beds
    Cavendish Upholstery
    Airofreem (Foam Supplier)

AJ Foam Ltd. (UK)
    Postureflex – AJ Foam

Breasley Consumer Products Ltd (UK)
    [Manufactures for many own label retailers]
    Breasley
    Salus
    Flexcell
    Amor
    Postureform

Burgess Beds – Exclusive bespoke manufacturer
    Savoir Beds – Exclusive bespoke manufacturer
    GNG Group
    Komfi
    Implay
    Dream Machine
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Most of those in the list are big names, but these are really the ones you need to avoid. You will get far better quality for your money with smaller independent manufacturers who still hand make their mattresses, and still take pride in their products.
  • RX-78
    RX-78 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Thats a really good info!

Sorry if I sound daft - how do you find a good independant bed manufacturer? I dont think I've ever seen one advertised or seen them in my daily drive. And more importantly how do I know they are good quality.......
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    RX-78 wrote: »
    Thats a really good info!

Sorry if I sound daft - how do you find a good independant bed manufacturer? I dont think I've ever seen one advertised or seen them in my daily drive. And more importantly how do I know they are good quality.......

That's the difficult bit. Most of the good independent brands seem to be in the West Yorkshire area, but there are aound 50 that fit into this, and not all are good. It will take a lot of research, and asking people.
  • RX-78
    RX-78 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Tim. I've ready some of your posts and they are very helpful.

We had a go at our local store (non major one) today. I have thicker skin then my partner but even I struggled to go on the mattress for longer then few minutes! The healthbed seemed very good but I understand you cant really tell from few minuts of trial.

We might go for Kozeesleep's ortho pocket - they seem a good quality and my partner gets back pain so it might suit us best
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure