sterling equity hedge fund

Options

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    peterjc wrote: »
    sterling equity appear to be genuine hedge fund managers.
    look at their web site.
    Based off shore in Delaware - therefore not FSA approved but that's not exactly a wonderful thing to have.
    Offices in Spain, Switzerland. But no guarantees that you can get your capital back.

I think it's guaranteed that you won't get your capital back.

I don't understand these threads. OPs never seem to say 'oh ok thanks everyone I'll do some more research and find someone else to invest with'.

Is it greed? Posters have been offered unrealistically high returns and refuse to accept that it's a con, think we're all naive and jealous that they've been offered these deals?

Stubborness? A refusal to back down once they've stated something is a good idea?

My theory is that people have this idea that investing, especially in shares, is about making millions overnight with little effort. These companies re-inforce this view, that there's some great secret that once you know it you can be rich easilly, and people don't want to let go of it.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    Masomnia wrote: »
    My theory is that people have this idea that investing, especially in shares, is about making millions overnight with little effort. These companies re-inforce this view, that there's some great secret that once you know it you can be rich easilly, and people don't want to let go of it.

It's a great theory Masomnia, although - I suspect - a little complicated.

My theory is pithier and more succinct: People are idiots.
  • stewartfisher
    Options
    The company is called sterling equity hedge fund management based in usa and deal out of spain and moroco i know two people with them both with approx 90k invested on a monthly basis they get approx 1000 pounds a month so far no problems i worry a little about getting the 90k back what do you think regards s
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    what do you think
    It's a scam. I don't know how I can say it any clearer than that.
  • normansands
    Options
    Hi,
    am puzzled pensioner who hears the gov' trying to persuade the banks who are giving me 0.2% to lend my money to UK businesses and meeting substantial resistance.
    So what are they doing with my money - it is said that they are investing in hedge funds off-shore with the bulk of monies in their care.
    Stirling Equity suggest that they have been in business 22 years growing all the time and would welcome visits to their premises in Santander, Spain to anyone wishing to check them out.
    There seems to be nothing detrimental on the FSA website other than they are not regulated.
    They are just one of thousands of hedge funds operating so where is the problem?
    If hedge funds are the major and growing investment vehicles why call them a scam?
    One hears of investment companies who are not interested unless you have millions to invest.
    They suggest also that they have only a minor interest in private minnows, the vast bulk of their funds are institutional.
    Any clarification please.
    Regards
    Norman
  • Reaper
    Options
    Stirling Equity suggest that they have been in business 22 years growing all the time and would welcome visits to their premises in Santander, Spain to anyone wishing to check them out.
    So you believe they have been in business for 22 years because they told you they had been in business for 22 years? If you do a WhoIs lookup on their web site is was created only last year.
    There seems to be nothing detrimental on the FSA website other than they are not regulated.
    1) The FSA web site can't keep up with all the scammers who constantly change their name.
    2) They are list on the FSA web site of companies of unauthorised companies there have been complaints about. Look here.
    3) No FSA registration is a big deal. It means they are not allowed to conduct business in the UK.
    They are just one of thousands of hedge funds operating so where is the problem?
    They are not a hedge fund. They are scammers.
    If hedge funds are the major and growing investment vehicles why call them a scam?
    They suggest also that they have only a minor interest in private minnows, the vast bulk of their funds are institutional
    Oh I give up. There really is no telling some people. A fool and his money are soon parted.
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    am puzzled pensioner who hears the gov' trying to persuade the banks who are giving me 0.2% to lend my money to UK businesses and meeting substantial resistance.
    So what are they doing with my money - it is said that they are investing in hedge funds off-shore with the bulk of monies in their care.
    One hears of investment companies who are not interested unless you have millions to invest.
    They suggest also that they have only a minor interest in private minnows, the vast bulk of their funds are institutional.
    Any clarification please.
    Regards
    Norman

Spam reported.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »
    So you believe they have been in business for 22 years because they told you they had been in business for 22 years? If you do a WhoIs lookup on their web site is was created only last year.
    1) The FSA web site can't keep up with all the scammers who constantly change their name.
    2) They are list on the FSA web site of companies of unauthorised companies there have been complaints about. Look here.
    3) No FSA registration is a big deal. It means they are not allowed to conduct business in the UK.
    Oh I give up. There really is no telling some people. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Four posts in the same thread from people with the same kind of name (normansands, stewartfisher etc). All four posters are posting for the same time. All four posters have the same bizarre writing style, and all four are defending these honorable people at Sterling Equity as bonafide hedge fund managers.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what's going on here.

A message for Sterling Equity: fire your marketing manager. He's an idiot.
  • Reaper
    Options
    Although I generally give the benefit of the doubt I think you are right that it's marketing, though it doesn't help them much when I take it apart.

I bet they hate threads like this one that come up higher than their own web site when potential investors type "Sterling Equity" into Google. Bad for business.

Hi scammers :wave:
  • normansands
    Options
    Dear All,
    sorry you find it strange, even bizarre, but I and my post are completely genuine and thank you for your replies. I will of course seek answers from Sterling and let you know the results.
    Do you have any suggestions for obtaining secure investment performance better than inflation at this time. Thank you
    Regards
    Norman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family