Tesco Kitchens

Options
Hi

I have found one bad review on here but wondered if anyone else has had any dealings with them?

I've got what seems like a decent quote and hoping to go ahead with them. Have to say that I'm not expecting top quality goods but don't want something that's likely to fall apart within months!

Comments

• Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    You will get something of a better quality, for a similar price, from one of the sheds, or ikea...

Stick to using Tesco for your groceries...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tescos only use 15mm carcasses. Ie the width of the side panels etc is only 15mm. The norm is now 18mm and has been for a number of years. Some high end german kirchens are even 20mm. the 3mm makes a difference in terms of rigidity and strength.

Effectively you are buying a kitchen that is outdated. Its that same as buying a Ford Mondeo, but the engine and gear5box are from a Ford Cortina!

You'll get the better quality for the same price from the Sheds, Howdens, Benchmarx or Magnet Trade
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Butterscotch-
    Options
    I've tried B&Q and MFI in the past and their quotes were £1k more. It's just a small kitchen so quite a difference. I'm hoping to sell within the next couple of years so just want something to look decent enough. Will have to think about it.
  • iainsmum
    iainsmum Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Have you actually asked what guarantee comes with the kitchen, I had MFI install nearly 10 years ago and back then it was a 3-yr cabinet guarantee, when I replaced one unit due to flooding damage about 6 months later, the guarantee had gone up to 5-yrs, Tesco should offer something similar.

And at the end of the day, it depends on how you use your kitchen, or if you've got kids that slam doors or swing off them, etc. My MFI kitchen is 15mm carcasses and 10 years on I've not a single wobbly unit, or drooping door, or anything, so if you look after your stuff you should be fine.

Couple of points that I would mention though, purely as lessons learnt when I bought my kitchen (and the one for the in-laws house).

1) If you can afford real wood doors rather than laminated, then pay the extra, as the laminates can be paper thin and chip and split and peel. (Not applicable if you're going for one of these high gloss finishes)

2) If you're having the fitting service and you fancy under-unit worktop lighting, just order and pay for one to be fitted at one end of the range of units (so they do the electrics). The money they charge for the full monty under all the units is extortionate. Once you have one fitted and wired up, its easy to retro-fit under-unit lights to the rest of the units, they just screw into the underside of your wall unit and have cable connectors from unit to unit. (You would probably buy them cheaper from a DIY place anyway)

3) Don't waste money on drawer separators or over-sink chopping boards, they're either cheaper elsewhere OR you won't even use it (chopping board), it just gets in the way - mine lives on the floor at the side of radiator!

Good luck and I hope your kitchen turns out how you want it.
    It doesn't hurt to be optimistic....you can always cry later. :cry:

You don't get if you don't ask!
  • Butterscotch-
    Options
    Thanks iansmum. Tesco have cabinets guaranteed for 10 years, appliances for 12 months labout and 5 years parts, installation workmanship for 12 months. It's only me using the kitchen once a day and I will look after it. No lighting and certainly no £16 cutlery drawer thingie! That was one of the first things I told him to take off the quote. Scary thought having to part with so much money! Think I might just go for it though.
  • Jamie67_2
    Options
    Butterscotch,
    phill99 is incorrect. Tesco do 15 AND 18mm cupboards.
    The kitchens aren't old either. The website shows Gloss colours in modern styles with those curved units that have recently become fashionable, shaker styles in different colours and traditional ones too.
    It's doiwn to what you want really, the DIY places do "take away" stuff but I have been lead to believe it's not high quality but serves it's purpose for what you pay.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this thread OP - I have been thinking of getting a new kitchen but I had no idea Tesco did them! They look nice too.
  • martyboy123
    Options
    We have ordered a Tesco Kitchen. All seems to be going smoothly through the ordering phase. We have ordered this with a Tesco staff offer giving 20% off fand free installation, will let you know how the fitting goes.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So who actually makes and fits these kitchens?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • becs
    becs Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    Options
    Can't wait for the day when no other shops exist because Tesco have put them all out of business! If you don't believe it will happen visit Inverness where Tesco has been the kiss of death there! Why can't supermarkets just sell food and leave every one else to do what they're good at!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure