PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

muesli/cereal bars recipes?

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep!

Click on the "Indexed Collections" link in the blue bar at the top of every page and follow through to the Old Style Recipe collection where you'll find more under "Snacks and nibbles etc"
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks squeaky :)

Someone must have been locked away in a dark cupboard for months creating the indexed thread lol. :)
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mossy

I know the feeling about the Organix bars, lush but expensive.
    I made my dd some following the quantities on one of the packets, and using a basic flapjack recipe ... it's worked for us.

Basically in a flapjack recipe where there is loads of golden syrup sugar it is substituted for blitzed dried fruit plus fruit juice, if you see what I mean!

Good luck .... mind you, my dd ain't daft, so I had to wrap them in tin foil for her ... otherwise she wouldn't touch them .. as it hadn't got a wrapper on them! Let's hope your dd is less fussy, LOL. (Not suggesting that your dd is daft by the way, just losing the way with words this evening!)
    GC - March 2024 -
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks zed42 its funny you did that as I was sat the other day reading their very helpful breakdown of ingredients and was going to experiment today...thanks for the tip about wrapping them in foil I'll see if she will accept them au'natural and if not i'll try you trick. :)

p.s lol i didn't read it as if you were suggesting munch was daft but you are right sometimes kids are too smart for their own good lol.
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    :think: :think: :think:

OH and I enjoy the cereal bars you can get, I wondered if any one had a recipe for them, I guess they are made with a high oat content. Also, has anyone a good recipe for ginger nuts?????? we love them............

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are some listed in the Old Style Recipe Collection under snacks and nibbles:-

Snacks and nibbles

and then there are a few more listed among the biscuits here:-

Biscuits:
    [post=455912] - Banana and date bars[/post]
    [post=456738] - Cereal bars etc for diabetics[/post]
    [post=457399] - Cookies - Freshly baked[/post]
    [post=822977] - Forgot to add the sugar, can I add it now[/post]
    [post=724536] - Flour - can I use strong?[/post]
    [post=421420] - Help with biscuits please[/post]
    [post=455820] - No bake cereal bars[/post]
    [post=400422] - Oat cakes (hob nobs)[/post]
    [post=484062] - Oatmeal biscuits - old recipe?[/post]
    [post=463604] - Quick and easy?[/post]
    [post=763897] - Recipes please?[/post]
    [post=706598] - Ritz biscuits out of date[/post]
    [post=56515] - Shah biscuits recipe?[/post]

And a look throught the first few pages of the Old Style listing will also show up some threads with oat ideas in them too.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • saving-grace
    saving-grace Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    Gingernuts

4oz SR flour
    1 teaspn ground ginger
    1 teaspn bicarb of soda
    2 oz margarine
    1 1/2 oz sugar
    2oz golden syrup

Rub margarine into the dry ingredients
    and stir in the sugar.
    Add the syrup and mix to a stiff dough.
    Take small pieces of the mixture, roll into balls and place (well spread out) on greased baking trays - makes about 18
    Flatten each one slightly
    Bake for 10-15 mins at 190 deg C gas mark 5

I leave out the bicarb - this makes a flatter biscuit
    Experiment with cooking times to get the hardness/chewiness you want

I first got this recipe fom a book of traditional Northumbrian recipes but have since seen it in Delia Smith's Cookery Course
  • Phil_H_3
    Phil_H_3 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all!
    This afternoon I decided to make some of the low fat cereal bars and also some of the lunch box bars,both are gorgeous apart from one thing,they are very crumbly,so crumbly I can't even cut them into bars,they are just chunks!What I need advice on is whether they need more oil or honey or juice.As a beginner home baker I have no idea!
    thanks
    emma.x :confused:
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When you take them out of the oven, mark them with a knife BUT LEAVE IN TIN UNTIL COOL!

That makes all the difference as to whether they are `crumbly ` or in bite size pieces! Try it and see! Good luck!

:j
  • Phil_H_3
    Phil_H_3 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    tried again to make the bars but again they are more crumbly than bars but never fear.......the crumbly mess is gorgeous with a splash of milk!

emma.x :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport